Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve's Gascolator

Post Thanks / Like

Steve's Gascolator

Not trying to sound like an advertisement, but as previously stated I'm new to this Cub thing.

I come from the Helicopter world where every connection is a pretty substantial thing.

I was headed to the bush with my new ride last month and had to turn back because of weather. The flight seemed to be a bit "fumy", but I was carrying cans for a refueling stop in McGrath and just thought it was that way.

The next day the weather improved and as I did my preflight I found the source of my fumes-- The darn gascolator was loose. It was tightened down well, but if you touched it, gas would leak out. Being new to this sort of thing I almost couldn't believe how it was constructed. I know, I know, it has been there for years, but still- I really didn't like it.

I decided that that gascolator and my cub would be parting ways and gave a quick call to Stoddards who recommended the Steve's gascolator. (Nice thing about being broke down with your Cub in Anchorage-- There are 2 Cub stores available!) She had one in stock and after a bit of work the Cub was operational. Of course the weather wasn't, so I needed to wait another day.

But here's the thing-- Why isn't there an AD to just rid the fleet of that darn gascolator? It is so easy to install and for $200 it just seems that it ought to be mandatory.

For any back seaters (Hesitate to say wives) it would be a perfect AND safe Christmas gift.

See ya out there!

JW
    Likes 68Papa, NunavutPA-12 liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes,

not a rebuild or leaky worn out gascolator goes out without the new style safe steve's one!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a box full of the original gascolators with warped tops and stripped threads. I wanted a fix years ago just wish I had come up with it.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    All this time I thought it was yours Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    All this time I thought it was yours Steve.

StewartB
    Why isn't there an AD to just rid the fleet of that darn gascolator? It is so easy to install and for $200 it just seems that it ought to be mandatory.
    The free market is taking care of the situation. We don't need the government telling us we have to use it. Good ideas are not spawned from government regulation. If anything they're suppressed.

I have a Steve's, too. By choice!

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartB
    Why isn't there an AD to just rid the fleet of that darn gascolator? It is so easy to install and for $200 it just seems that it ought to be mandatory.
    The free market is taking care of the situation. We don't need the government telling us we have to use it. Good ideas are not spawned from government regulation. If anything they're suppressed.

SB
    There you go SB, sounding like a conservative capitalist again.

I too had and have a Steve's. It comes as part of the kit I'm working on now as well.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like

Government

Well, the Government seems to want to tell us enough already and most of it is useless, but now and then an AD saves lives and this seems to be in that category.

They made us change frickin crankshafts and stop shipping oxygen that may or may not have merit, but this seems a Safety of Flight issue.

I especially like the fact that the cup won't just fly off and have fuel going everywhere if you have an accident.

Course, that's only my opinion and I have lots of them!!
    Thanks hman442 thanked for this post

StewartB
    Your airframe is old. It should be replaced. Your seat belts are antiquated. They should be replaced. Header tanks? Wing struts? Brakes? Lighting? Radios? Engine? Accessories? Fabric? And heaven forbid you still have hydrosorbs! Where does it end? Who should decide?

The raging popularity of the experimental class is indicative of the GA public's pent-up frustration with government aircraft regulations. The innovations coming from that segment are very exciting. The market takes care of things when it's provided the freedom to do so.

SB

Post Thanks / Like

Coffee....

Far too much coffee!

Need deep breathing exercises!

Or Beer time!

Post Thanks / Like

Gasolator

I took the stock one out also. It leaked and is so cheaply made, I would not trust it on a tractor. I bought from Steves Gasolators also and because I have the 30 Gallon wing tanks I had to go with a larger gasolator. But this was a good choice and the quality is the best you will find. On top of that the service and conversation with them was great, good people.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I changed to Steve's after seeing the results of an engine failure on take off that ended up with a bent up nose, and a Steve's gascolator driven into the ground without leaking. Mine was fine before I swapped it out.

Besides, I put in all new lines, a new fuel selector from Univair (a very, very good idea in my opinion) and a new rear header tank from Atlee.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartB

SB
    AMEN!

The original will work fine until some hamfisted jerk ruins it... They continue to work fine on my tractors too... If it starts leaking, repair it , new gasket..whatever....instead of torqing the screw until it's all bent to sh..

That said, I will install a Steve's on my new Spezio

Jack (who is DONE with certified aircraft!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones
    .... a Steve's gascolator driven into the ground without leaking....
    Tom
    THAT is the real point!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awe shucks guys....I'm getting all misty eyes over all the good words about our gascolator....

But seriously...even my dad and I agree that making an AD to replace the original POS is not the way to go...Although if that ever did happen, I could retire at an early age....

I have also seen a true test of our unit, even have pictures on our web site....and just for giggle's I will post them again here...

I still have this bowl and am able to put it on any of our covers. The original cover piece was re-used on the aircraft after it was rebuilt.

But seriously guys, we really appreciate your business and will try everything we can to accommodate your needs.

Thanks again.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love mine, had lots of problems trying to get the old one to seal...no problems now. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Steve's gascolator is the nicest piece of equipment on my J-3!

Mike-
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to order a Steve's gascolator for my J3. Do I order the SA3-00 or the SA3-0B and what is the diffence between the two?

Thanks.
    Larry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 39-J3 View Post
    I am going to order a Steve's gascolator for my J3. Do I order the SA3-00 or the SA3-0B and what is the diffence between the two?

Thanks.
    Larry.
    https://www.stevesaircraft.com/amllist.php?make=Piper

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 39-J3 View Post

Thanks.
    Larry.
    SA3-00 is the one you want.

-00-B has a different mounting system to replace early Garwin Gascolators as installed on Cessna 170A, 170B, straight tail 172's, etc.... Otherwise identical in porting and flow rates.

Brian.
    Likes mike mcs repair, 39-J3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve's Aircraft (Brian) View Post
    SA3-00 is the one you want.

-00-B has a different mounting system to replace early Garwin Gascolators as installed on Cessna 170A, 170B, straight tail 172's, etc.... Otherwise identical in porting and flow rates.

Brian.
    Thanks Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to love it! Had mine for a while and wouldn't have anything else.
    Likes 39-J3, RaisedByWolves, Ken Kennedy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    All the new parts made are twice as good as original but there also twice as heavy.If your whole aircraft was built with them you wouldn't have any useful load left. A majority of airplanes the carburetor will be sheared off in a crash first leaking gas .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthog4 View Post
    All the new parts made are twice as good as original but there also twice as heavy.If your whole aircraft was built with them you wouldn't have any useful load left. A majority of airplanes the carburetor will be sheared off in a crash first leaking gas .
    In my experience in a Super Cub it rips the gascolator off first. There is a little weight added but after fiddle farting around with the bail type gascolators way to much it is worth a few ounces of added weight. The new fuel valves are actually lighter.

Stock Piper bail type gascolator.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170608_175348.jpg 
Views:	1398 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	35279

Steve's gascolator for stock size tanks.

Name:	20170608_175613.jpg 
Views:	1414 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	35280

Dakota Cub gascolator which will handle the FAA requirements of the large fuel tanks.

Name:	20170608_175817.jpg 
Views:	1385 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	35281
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A majority of airplanes the carburetor will be sheared off in a crash first leaking gas .
    I would gladly sacrifice the small amount of weight for the safety advantages of Steve's gascolators. The originals can't hold a candle to them for safety and reliability.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet ive seen 30 H or M and other later international tractors that were burnt up with the glass type. I sold international tractors in the late 70s, loved to see those glass type on them, you dont see those glass ones or bail type on tractors any more.
    Thanks FLYERKODI, Brmoore thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, FLYERKODI liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The bail type usually always leak from people cranking them down. Heck, you look at them funny and the squirt fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks cubnut thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Pierce, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I gave up a lot of stuff in my rebuild to save weight... but not this......

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Last edited by mam90; 02-18-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    Mark
    Likes mike mcs repair, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one and it is worth the price for an extra measure of safety.

Post Thanks / Like
    have NEVER seen a carburetor sheared off... NEVER beat up air box at most

you'd have to run into a bolder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was, and no boulder. Just a huge stump
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Any fire?

Post Thanks / Like
    Which Gascolator would you use for the 180hp Titan??

Thank you!

Chad
    Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm an FNG!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    have NEVER seen a carburetor sheared off... NEVER beat up air box at most

you'd have to run into a bolder
    Have not seen one sheared off but have seen it wrapped under the front lower firewall tube... have pics of it on my website...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SinCityJets View Post
    Which Gascolator would you use for the 180hp Titan??

Thank you!

Chad
    If you are running a stock fuel system(3/8 fuel lines) then the standard SA3-00 model that is approved on almost all of the Pipers from the J3 to the Aztecs will flow more than enough fuel to power the Titan...

If for some reason you have it modified to 1/2 inch lines than a SA3-10 is the unit of choice..

Bowl sizing only has to do with sediment capacity for main tanks... FAA regulation calls for 1oz for every 20 gallons of main tank fuel... we have two bowl sizes, 3 oz and 4 oz... the 3 is good up to 60 gallons and the 4 up to 80 gallons... so those guys with Atlee Dodge tanks need to have the 4oz SA3-00-A model Gascolator to comply with that regulation...

Thanks

Brian

Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post
    Likes cubscout liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Brian
    Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm an FNG!
    Likes cubnut liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
    Any fire?
    Nope, but badly bruised ego, and a dislocated toe. Thank you, shoulder harnesses!
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Misch View Post
    Nope, but badly bruised ego, and a dislocated toe. Thank you, shoulder harnesses!
    Well, you know...those who have and those that will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure of the Regs for Ag aircraft in the US... but here in NZ we have a mandate to install an 'armor plate' around the Gascolator (on Ag Cubs) to prevent it being damaged/swiped off. I swapped mine out with a Steves and couldn't believe it when I weighed the old setup... 2lbs?!!

Name:	103_PANA-P1030774_P1030774.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	35293

Post Thanks / Like
    Warning LONG post. ( But might save your life)
    Discloser: We are NOT affiliated with Steves in anyway.

We recently had a big problem with an original Piper gascolator, that could have ended horribly, about 30 mins into a flight:
    Here is the story:
    About a half hour into a flight, all of a sudden I thought I could smell fuel ???? Ok, So my first thought ,was to look at trailing edges for fuel siphoning off top of wing from a gas cap coming off?? Nope...Ruptured tank ?? My 12 still has an original tank on left side....... Within another minute or so the smell got worse and I am now frantically watching down by the fuel selectors, for a leak inside the cabin; but again saw nothing???? Now about then my rear seat passenger, says to me " Hey do you smell fuel ???? Its quite strong here in the back seat". I confirmed that I did ,and felt it was getting worse...........quickly.
    Since we were on skis, and we now have 8-12" of ice in most places, around Northern Maine ; we were only about a few minutes from a pond, where I could land. ( You may NOT have all these options; when yours fails) Upon a quick check of the Gascolator, we could see fuel pouring out of the back side of it BIG time. So after a bit of fiddling I was able to slow it down 90% but not compleatly. ( I hand saftey wired directly from the middle of one bail to the other right around the middle of the bowl to make dam sure it could not come out at housing again!)We then TO and flew straight home; where it became apparent that how it was safety wired ,from the back bail wire,,around to front carb line fitting,
    then over to other bail, was NOT tight enough from the back baik wire: and in approximately 35 hours, had somehow sliped around that radius corner, then onto the horizontal part of the bail, allowing it to pop out enough, to allowing the bowl to cant enough, to let fuel start to pour out......... Now after a proper inspection; a few things emerged. The bail has been over
    tightened so many times over the years it has been bent and bowed ,and shows obvious signs of the ends having been straighten.
    The amount of penetration the bail protrudes into the housing( .150 ???) is actually adversely effected if that angle isnt the 90 degrees as it should be. IF you saftey to the front fitting; and as you pull up tight right under the corners of the bail and it was possible in this case; for the safety wire because of the angle to the front fitting to somehow vibrate around that radius and allow the bail to begin to come out.........
    Verdict: The design is a 'very poor one' even by Model T or tractor standards.It is almost certain these old bail Gascolators , "would "never be approved" in todays FAA environment. After 70 years of idiots over tightening them,
    And bail wires being restraightened many times, they are basically dangerous "junk" at this point in time. If your drain valve is pointed outwards, so you dont have to lift your cowling to drain it,
    A huge percentage will weep fuel, just fron pushing sidewise on the drain valve!

Conclusion:
    Kolher tryed to address this problem many years ago with a bail system that was made from flat stock that was riveted at the top so it could NOT come out
    And only required the tightening nut be saftey wired. You hardly ever see them, as they cost double what these old "mickey mouse" ones were at the time........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-23-05-12-59.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	40495
    The inherent design of a bailess Gascolator that the bowl
    is threaded into the housing is " Light Years" BETTER in all ways. Probably 100 times safer??all things considered.Do yourself a big favor; and buy yourself a Steves Gascolator ; before you have the same thing happen to you, that happened to me ! Forget about just loosing just the plane: This could easily end up, with you loosing your life!
    EClick image for larger version. 

Name:	gascol5.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	40496
    Last edited by TurboBeaver; 12-27-2018 at 02:25 AM.