• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Steve's Gascolator

Tundratech

Bethel, AK
Not trying to sound like an advertisement, but as previously stated I'm new to this Cub thing.

I come from the Helicopter world where every connection is a pretty substantial thing.

I was headed to the bush with my new ride last month and had to turn back because of weather. The flight seemed to be a bit "fumy", but I was carrying cans for a refueling stop in McGrath and just thought it was that way.

The next day the weather improved and as I did my preflight I found the source of my fumes-- The darn gascolator was loose. It was tightened down well, but if you touched it, gas would leak out. Being new to this sort of thing I almost couldn't believe how it was constructed. I know, I know, it has been there for years, but still- I really didn't like it.

I decided that that gascolator and my cub would be parting ways and gave a quick call to Stoddards who recommended the Steve's gascolator. (Nice thing about being broke down with your Cub in Anchorage-- There are 2 Cub stores available!) She had one in stock and after a bit of work the Cub was operational. Of course the weather wasn't, so I needed to wait another day.

But here's the thing-- Why isn't there an AD to just rid the fleet of that darn gascolator? It is so easy to install and for $200 it just seems that it ought to be mandatory.

For any back seaters (Hesitate to say wives) it would be a perfect AND safe Christmas gift.

See ya out there!

JW

I have a box full of the original gascolators with warped tops and stripped threads. I wanted a fix years ago just wish I had come up with it. :wink:

Why isn't there an AD to just rid the fleet of that darn gascolator? It is so easy to install and for $200 it just seems that it ought to be mandatory.

The free market is taking care of the situation. We don't need the government telling us we have to use it. Good ideas are not spawned from government regulation. If anything they're suppressed.

I have a Steve's, too. By choice!

SB

StewartB said:
Why isn't there an AD to just rid the fleet of that darn gascolator? It is so easy to install and for $200 it just seems that it ought to be mandatory.

The free market is taking care of the situation. We don't need the government telling us we have to use it. Good ideas are not spawned from government regulation. If anything they're suppressed.

SB

There you go SB, sounding like a conservative capitalist again.

I too had and have a Steve's. It comes as part of the kit I'm working on now as well.

Government

Well, the Government seems to want to tell us enough already and most of it is useless, but now and then an AD saves lives and this seems to be in that category.

They made us change frickin crankshafts and stop shipping oxygen that may or may not have merit, but this seems a Safety of Flight issue.

I especially like the fact that the cup won't just fly off and have fuel going everywhere if you have an accident.

Course, that's only my opinion and I have lots of them!! :wink:

Your airframe is old. It should be replaced. Your seat belts are antiquated. They should be replaced. Header tanks? Wing struts? Brakes? Lighting? Radios? Engine? Accessories? Fabric? And heaven forbid you still have hydrosorbs! Where does it end? Who should decide?

The raging popularity of the experimental class is indicative of the GA public's pent-up frustration with government aircraft regulations. The innovations coming from that segment are very exciting. The market takes care of things when it's provided the freedom to do so.

SB

Reactions: ron
Gasolator

I took the stock one out also. It leaked and is so cheaply made, I would not trust it on a tractor. I bought from Steves Gasolators also and because I have the 30 Gallon wing tanks I had to go with a larger gasolator. But this was a good choice and the quality is the best you will find. On top of that the service and conversation with them was great, good people.

Bill

I changed to Steve's after seeing the results of an engine failure on take off that ended up with a bent up nose, and a Steve's gascolator driven into the ground without leaking. Mine was fine before I swapped it out.

Besides, I put in all new lines, a new fuel selector from Univair (a very, very good idea in my opinion) and a new rear header tank from Atlee.

Tom

StewartB said:

SB

AMEN!

The original will work fine until some hamfisted jerk ruins it... They continue to work fine on my tractors too... If it starts leaking, repair it , new gasket..whatever....instead of torqing the screw until it's all bent to sh..

That said, I will install a Steve's on my new Spezio

Jack (who is DONE with certified aircraft!)

Awe shucks guys....I'm getting all misty eyes over all the good words about our gascolator.... :D

But seriously...even my dad and I agree that making an AD to replace the original POS is not the way to go...Although if that ever did happen, I could retire at an early age.... :lol:

I have also seen a true test of our unit, even have pictures on our web site....and just for giggle's I will post them again here...

02.jpg

gas_dam001.jpg

I still have this bowl and am able to put it on any of our covers. The original cover piece was re-used on the aircraft after it was rebuilt.

But seriously guys, we really appreciate your business and will try everything we can to accommodate your needs.

Thanks again.

Brian.

I love mine, had lots of problems trying to get the old one to seal...no problems now. Thanks!

I am going to order a Steve's gascolator for my J3. Do I order the SA3-00 or the SA3-0B and what is the diffence between the two?

Thanks.
Larry.

I am going to order a Steve's gascolator for my J3. Do I order the SA3-00 or the SA3-0B and what is the diffence between the two?

Thanks.
Larry.

SA3-00 is the one you want.

-00-B has a different mounting system to replace early Garwin Gascolators as installed on Cessna 170A, 170B, straight tail 172's, etc.... Otherwise identical in porting and flow rates.

Brian.

You are going to love it! Had mine for a while and wouldn't have anything else.

All the new parts made are twice as good as original but there also twice as heavy.If your whole aircraft was built with them you wouldn't have any useful load left. A majority of airplanes the carburetor will be sheared off in a crash first leaking gas .

All the new parts made are twice as good as original but there also twice as heavy.If your whole aircraft was built with them you wouldn't have any useful load left. A majority of airplanes the carburetor will be sheared off in a crash first leaking gas .

In my experience in a Super Cub it rips the gascolator off first. There is a little weight added but after fiddle farting around with the bail type gascolators way to much it is worth a few ounces of added weight. The new fuel valves are actually lighter.

Stock Piper bail type gascolator.
20170608_175348.jpg

Steve's gascolator for stock size tanks.
20170608_175613.jpg

Dakota Cub gascolator which will handle the FAA requirements of the large fuel tanks.
20170608_175817.jpg

Attachments

• 20170608_175348.jpg
    20170608_175348.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 3,116
  • 20170608_175613.jpg
    20170608_175613.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 3,265
  • 20170608_175817.jpg
    20170608_175817.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 3,060
A majority of airplanes the carburetor will be sheared off in a crash first leaking gas .
I would gladly sacrifice the small amount of weight for the safety advantages of Steve's gascolators. The originals can't hold a candle to them for safety and reliability.

I bet ive seen 30 H or M and other later international tractors that were burnt up with the glass type. I sold international tractors in the late 70s, loved to see those glass type on them, you dont see those glass ones or bail type on tractors any more.

The bail type usually always leak from people cranking them down. Heck, you look at them funny and the squirt fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have NEVER seen a carburetor sheared off... NEVER beat up air box at most

you'd have to run into a bolder

Back