• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tools, jigs, fixtures, and other neat stuff

I needed a clamp to hold a cable so I could install a Nicopress. The available cable vises are very expensive and you need four hands to get everything aligned while holding the whole thing steady without the vise, so I made this out of some scrap 1/2" square tube brazed to a piece of 14 gauge strap, a 3/8" hardware store bolt and nut.

I used a chisel to form a small indent on the inside flat of the square tube to hold the cable. The bolt has a slight hollow in the end from the thread forming process. I only tighten it finger tight and it has seemed adequate to hold everything together while squeezing the clamp. The vise is a 2" Wilton.

There is a bit of room to put a tab or link in the eye also.

Wayne

I Like it! might have to make something like that.....

got me thinking now.... maybe based off a vise grip....

Woodenboat magazine had one a number of years back that used a vise grip. It used a small clamp style without the swivel pads. Don't recall what provided the third clamping point for the bottom of the loop but I'll try to find a picture.

Posted Using the Free SuperCub.Org Android App!

Woodenboat magazine had one a number of years back that used a vise grip. It used a small clamp style without the swivel pads. Don't recall what provided the third clamping point for the bottom of the loop but I'll try to find a picture.

Posted Using the Free SuperCub.Org Android App!

googling some...

Cables+002.jpg

Cables+001.jpg

Attachments

• vise grip rope vise.jpg
    vise grip rope vise.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 420
  • 1200 vise.jpg
    1200 vise.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 243
  • Riggersvice.jpg
    Riggersvice.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 495
All I've ever used for the past 20+ years. Hasn't let me down yet..

cablenicoclamp.jpg

Attachments

• cablenicoclamp.jpg
    cablenicoclamp.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 458
I'm planning to replace my aileron cables this winter and had an idea kicking around in my head for a small, lightweight clamp that could easily be used to do the crimping in-place on the plane. It involved a spring clamp and a threaded adjustable foot to hold pressure on the bottom of the eye like all the other tools people have shared here. Once I sat down to build the contraption, I realized I had really overcomplicated it, and decided to simplify things quite a bit.

For 1/8" cable, 3/4" PVC pipe slit down the middle with a circular notch to hold the thimble in place seems to work pretty well. If you have to get an eyebolt/turnbuckle on there too, like at the aileron horn attach points, you might have to drill out the pipe opposite the slit to let it dangle out the bottom. Here's my "prototype":

cable3.jpg

cable1.jpg

If that's too rustic, this "external ring clamp" might do the trick for $20.

cable2.jpg

I was coveting this marvelous piece of engineering last time I was down in Graham, but I think the PVC will do the trick for me.

cable4.jpg

Attachments

• cable3.jpg
    cable3.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 384
  • cable1.jpg
    cable1.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 414
  • cable2.jpg
    cable2.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 415
  • cable4.jpg
    cable4.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 318
heres my quick first try at it... some room for improvement.. that felt is just to make up for the fact i cut wood to short

IMG_6930.JPG

IMG_6931.JPG

IMG_6932.JPG

in the other thread here http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...are-on-Fuel-Lines&highlight=tubing+flair+tool

talked about tools to put a bulb in aluminum tube like the real Parker ones bellow http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=AP145

ap145.jpg

but I had always thought of converting a tubing cutter, and had collected many, just never got around to trying, so here try #1, it works... you could make it with a hacksaw and a drill... I also made new grooved rollers, but you might have one that already has grooved rollers for cutting right at a flair...

IMG_7165.JPG

IMG_7167.JPG

IMG_7168.JPG

IMG_7164.JPG

IMG_7163.JPG

IMG_7151.JPG

IMG_7149.JPG

IMG_7147.JPG

the donor... still useable as cutter, just put the old parts back in..

IMG_7144.JPG

I have been putting off the welding just behind the firewall engine mount bolts inside the fuselage. I could not get my head and arms in there and try to bend your head into position to do the welding. So I made this up.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 443
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
My version of the cable clamp with previous inspiration provided here. To cut the groove in the paddles I clamped a thin sheet of aluminum between the jaws and then used a 1/8" drill to drill down through the sheet and also groove the paddle plates. I then took a long bolt and the large hex nut and clamped it in the jaws with the nut touching the base of the vise grips and welded that in place. I then grooved the round head screw. This screw provided the top support and adjustment for the cable and fish eye. I used the small vise grip size. photo_1 (1).JPGphoto_2 (1).JPG

Attachments

• photo_1 (1).JPG
    photo_1 (1).JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 620
  • photo_2 (1).JPG
    photo_2 (1).JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 358
Borrowed this trick from Irishfield
Stiff clamp held everything in place while i fiddled, adjusted, and swaged.
Perfect!

Thanks!

photo (17).JPG

Attachments

• photo (17).JPG
    photo (17).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 371
Simple and it works Oliver... and as you've shown can be used in a tight spot. Like I said, all I've ever used and I've swaged a LOT of cables in the past 20+ years.

Copper electrical "split bolts" (at a real electrical supply house, where the contractors go) of the appropriate size are what we used rigging hang gliders and ultralights, (think LOTS of cable). Light pressure, not enough to deform the cable, and they hold real good, making trial fits easy, and if you already have the nico in place, you then make the swedge and then remove the split bolt. They take all the drama out of a rigging job, we also used to cleanly cut off those little splayed ends of the thimbles, to get a snugger fit, never saw one of those vices before.

While adjusting, hold the clamp in your palm, gently relax a little clamp pressure and pull on the "tail"of excess cable, it'll snug the whole operation up including shorten the cable if desired.

Re. Thimbles, I found if you slightly squeeze the little "splayed ends" togrther they'll suck into the sleeve on the second crimp helping to really marry the thimble to the sleeve.

We were using 3/32 cable, buying it by the 1000' reel, so a single squeeze on the nico. I like that tucking the points in trick though. Also glad to hear others cut the points off. Those split bolts hold so reliably and well I actually flew with them holding the flying wires together on a hang glider, when I was doing some major modding, though I did take care to not get more then a few feet above the ground.

Decades later I was doing some electrical work and needed to attach some wires in a removable fashion.... and I remembered my long ago earlier use of the split bolt, and what do you know, they work good on electrical wire also, ha ha.

I have been putting off the welding just behind the firewall engine mount bolts inside the fuselage. I could not get my head and arms in there and try to bend your head into position to do the welding. So I made this up.

View attachment 18384

That is very clever. I still have my first old Speed Shade that I might pull the guts out and make one of these. Also....I know we're not doing a lot of welding this way. But just FYI....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23650770

http://www.irpa.net/irpa10/cdrom/01049.pdf

Crash

Last edited:
Yep.. you always should clip the thimble points!

never never EVER!!

you slightly squeeze the tips with some cutters so they fit in copper nico press sleeve....

if you remove the tips the sleeve will fall out in uses like ski check cable as it stretches eyelet shape

I was taught to clip the very tip off the points so they don't go in the nico and cause a stress point on the cable. The way I do it, the thimble ends up tight to the nico, without pinching in on the cable and I've never had a thimble come loose (and I've rigged a sload of skis). Just looked and it's also how AC43 spells it out, so I'll go with that.

Last edited:
My version of the cable clamp with previous inspiration provided here. To cut the groove in the paddles I clamped a thin sheet of aluminum between the jaws and then used a 1/8" drill to drill down through the sheet and also groove the paddle plates. I then took a long bolt and the large hex nut and clamped it in the jaws with the nut touching the base of the vise grips and welded that in place. I then grooved the round head screw. This screw provided the top support and adjustment for the cable and fish eye. I used the small vise grip size. View attachment 18484View attachment 18485

I really like your version!!!

Back