• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tools, jigs, fixtures, and other neat stuff

So what do you do with an old roof top luggage carrier that nobody wants, has a broken hinges and is missing a key? You re-purpose it to being a sandblasting cabinet. Works great and didn't cost a dime!

Marty57

sandblast1.JPGsandblast2.JPGsandblast3.JPGsandblast4.JPG

Attachments

• sandblast1.JPG
    sandblast1.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 349
  • sandblast2.JPG
    sandblast2.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 311
  • sandblast3.JPG
    sandblast3.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 245
  • sandblast4.JPG
    sandblast4.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 287
I found this neat tool to tighten the knurled nuts on P&B circuit breakers. Comes in two sizes the 5/8" version works great. Available from music stores on eBay, used for replacing the toggle switches on electric guitars.

IMG_3801.JPGIMG_3844.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3801.JPG
    IMG_3801.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_3844.JPG
    IMG_3844.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 402
I just made this oil seal stretcher for a Lycoming. My split seal blew out the other day even though when I applied air to the breather, the loose dip stick rattled. All the mechanics around here use the split and don't have the official tool. I used an old exhaust clamp from a 5 inch semi system that I had to tweak a little and then welded a piece of 4130 tube I had laying around. It worked good and can't imagine using screw drivers.20160912_142412.jpg20160912_142405.jpg

Attachments

• 20160912_142412.jpg
    20160912_142412.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 325
  • 20160912_142405.jpg
    20160912_142405.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 305
Same technique used to make stone countertops. It has several uses.

Nowadays they do it with dots and a computer.

Here's a neat trick for making floor board pattern. I use strips of thin Luann ply and a glue gun to make patterns; very quick and simple. More details on another post. http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...g-my-2-2-PA-14&p=668997&viewfull=1#post668997

Marty

View attachment 27667

neat
I'm more a poster board and tape and long stapler kinda guy....

a tree does die when i make a plane,

everything gets made of poster board as a pattern at least once, before i cut the expensive stuff...

I buy 30 sheets at a time

Same technique used to make stone countertops. It has several uses.

Nowadays they do it with dots and a computer.
Yeah, that's where I first saw the idea; when they installed our new counter tops.

Mike, I use lots of poster board also ..... I get mine free at Costco. The cardboard between layers of boxes at Costco is great stuff and free when it's at top of pile.

Marty

I wanted to bend some thicker material so I found a DIY 20 ton press brake kit at Swagoffroad.com and welded it up. It looks good and is rated to bend up to 5/8" steel. They also sell other kits and products that I have been happy with.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 474
I wanted to bend some thicker material so I found a DIY 20 ton press brake kit at Swagoffroad.com and welded it up. It looks good and is rated to bend up to 5/8" steel. They also sell other kits and products that I have been happy with.
View attachment 27881

reasonable prices, and looks like some of them ship in flat rate boxes, which is a huge deal coming to AK :)

might have to add them to the wish list, already have one of those baby presses..

http://swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Press-Brake-Kits_c_53.html

This looks cool. It's basically a router that uses machine vision to make minor adjustments to the spindle along the x, y and z axes. Might be usable on thin aluminum for interior panels, baffling, etc. Not available for purchase yet.

https://shapertools.com/#Origin

Origin enables more precise cuts by automatically correcting or retracting the tool’s bit if the machine strays from the designated cutting path.

You did the one thing I regret not doing on my last project. I missed the heat shrink. Every time I try to slide my wing covers on I'm reminded as they hang up on the little porcupines the cable tails have become. Usually get frustrated and give them a jerk, which then tears a hole in them, which raises the ole "stress level" a little higher. All for lack of 50 cent piece of heat shrink.....

You can use self-fusing silicone rescue tape (like this) to wrap the ends where you "forgot" to use the shrink wrap. It fuses to itself very nicely, and will protect your wing covers. Available in many colors on Amazon and elsewhere.

You can use self-fusing silicone rescue tape (like this) to wrap the ends where you "forgot" to use the shrink wrap. It fuses to itself very nicely, and will protect your wing covers. Available in many colors on Amazon and elsewhere.

does that tape need to be heated to fuse?

No. The layers of tape on the roll are separated with a 'peel ply' layer. As you unroll it, you peel that back. You stretch the tape, and lay it on top of itself. It bonds quite well. The harder you stretch it, the harder it bonds - up to a point. They say you can wrap it around leaking pipes and it will contain the leak. Haven't tried that yet. One of the best things is that this tape leaves nothing behind when you remove it — I usually cut it, because I can't unwind it once it bonds. The only downside (besides being a bit pricey) is that since it only binds to itself, you can only use it where you can "wrap" the installation area.

All right here is an idea, not yet a tip since I have not tried it but that tape gives me this idea for repairing hydraulic hoses temporarily without removing them:
1-Put a long one layer wrap of that tape over the rupture extending as far as possible past the area in both directions after cleaning. 2-Wrap as tightly as possible the tape with piano wire, guitar string, or maybe mig wire, getting the coils as close together as possible but trying to sink them into the tape AND leaving just enough room between the coils for the inner tape to pucker up just a bit to bond to the next step.
3-Wrap an outer layer of tape to fuse to the inner layer and for low pressure your done. For higher pressures add more layers of wire alternating with layers of tape.

Anyone think that could work for a very temporary repair?? Every summer I always break a hydraulic hose or two on my old case hoe while I'm out in my woods usually in a very inconvenient place to leave the hoe until I secure a replacement.

All right here is an idea, not yet a tip since I have not tried it but that tape gives me this idea for repairing hydraulic hoses temporarily without removing them:
1-Put a long one layer wrap of that tape over the rupture extending as far as possible past the area in both directions after cleaning. 2-Wrap as tightly as possible the tape with piano wire, guitar string, or maybe mig wire, getting the coils as close together as possible but trying to sink them into the tape AND leaving just enough room between the coils for the inner tape to pucker up just a bit to bond to the next step.
3-Wrap an outer layer of tape to fuse to the inner layer and for low pressure your done. For higher pressures add more layers of wire alternating with layers of tape.

Anyone think that could work for a very temporary repair?? Every summer I always break a hydraulic hose or two on my old case hoe while I'm out in my woods usually in a very inconvenient place to leave the hoe until I secure a replacement.

Keeping 45psi water in a pipe I think is doable, keeping 3000+ psi oil in a hose/pipe please take pictures. ;-)
What ever you do don't put your finger over a hydo spray leak if you like to pick your nose.

Glenn

That silicone tape is handy. They make a clear version that I imagine could work really well on a cracked pitot line.

As Glenn pointed out, they claim it will work fine for water lines and even low-pressure oil lines as an "emergency only" fix. I would not use it on hi-pressure hydraulic lines, or fuel lines, even in an emergency. I do carry a roll of it in my "emergency tool kit".

I just bought 4 rolls of clear, after reading an article in Kitplanes about it. Have yet to use any, but will keep it handy.from now on, both in the plane and the crane, "emergency use only". The next time I reach for a tie wrap for misc. securing of whatever, I'll try to think of using the tape instead. Can't believe it wasn't already on my radar.

Found this on eBay.......search Handee Clamp.Could be handy when fingers or needle nose pliers won't fit.
IMG_0557.JPGIMG_0556.JPGIMG_0558.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 220
I made this angle gauge holder to use on my lathe and tubing bender. The Wixey digital angle gauge is nice and compact and reasonable in price. Some of the specialty tool places sell a "V" attachment holder for around 65 bucks. I made this one out of floor sweepings.

Attachments

• IMG_20170215_233521522.jpg
    IMG_20170215_233521522.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 478
I have a store bought thingie similar to that, but it also has spring loaded punch. I use it for pipe fitting, when I want to mark the pipe at whatever angle needed. You pre load the punch with it's spring, then when you get it exactly where you want it, (magnetic base, handy) you push a button and the punch fires.

Back