Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Bushmaster on floats

Post Thanks / Like

Bushmaster on floats

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Looking at a Bushmaster right now and a couple questions comes to mind...

1) it is rigged up with edo's 2000. Is it not a bit underfloated for this plane? Anyone with a Bushmaster operating with these floats? How do they perform?

2) It has only a 36 gallons tank which is small. What sort of mods is there for a larger fuel tank size? Belly mounted? wings?

Otherwise looks spretty impressive to me...

Cheers

Tazin

Post Thanks / Like

Bushmaster on floats

It would be under-floated with 2000s. A friend has his Bushmaster on 2440s with 180 Lycoming and is considering going to 2250s which I have on mine with same engine. I think 2250s are the real McCoy with 42 gallons and 84/43 prop. It's a real performer, compared to my SC 150 on 2000s.

Post Thanks / Like

floats

The bushmaster I am looking at rigth now is actually a certified aircraft and is not in the O & M category so I am just wondering what stc's there are available for an upgrade for floats? Are the 2200 stc's?

Cheers

Tazin

Post Thanks / Like

Bushmaster on floats

Aren't all Bushmasters experimental, Tazin? Many are as mine: stretched PA22 fuselage, extended tailfeathers, 180hp and longer props, including non-approved Lycoming 84/43, none of which fit the certified category. Floats are whatever is best for the mission. Regards, King

Post Thanks / Like
    Turtlepack makes a decent alternative to extra fuel, skipping the need to the not so always available STC mod.

Louis

Post Thanks / Like
    saw a bushmaster 300 on trade a plane .com few weeks ago.

What kind of performance would something like this have.

Reuben

Post Thanks / Like

Bushmaster on floats

Good question, Reuben. Depends on the mission, I guess. What's the load and range penalty with that heavier engine and fuel consumption? I can't speak for performance with a 500-pound overload but 180hp with 2250s does wonderfully and I wouldn't even go to 210hp because of fuel considerations.

Post Thanks / Like

Bushmaster with 180 hp on amphibs

I have just bought a BM that Milo DeAnglis built at Vernon, but it is not certified, although I understand many were. It had a leading edge cuff added, and a manual Ray Jay Turbocharger. The homebuilt floats are 25oo# so that should allow a 2880 gross weight or 1175 capacity. I am thinking of pitching the prop from 42" back to 44'.

Does anyone have any advice? I do not need to jump out of the water in 200 feet, but do want to do some long distance cruising at alititude and cross the high Rockies. It has 60 US gal of fuel. It will need the fabric paint rejuvenated in a year or so.

I plan on going to Yellowknife this fall or next summer from Saskatchewan.

If you are passing through and want to stop for a night in Tisdale, Sk, give me a private message.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy the STC for a certified bushmaster with a 180 hp, for like $2500. We have one at the shop, if you want the contact info, just drop me a line and we can dig it up. They are great planes.

Terry, AKA cornbread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bushmaster on floats

Quote Originally Posted by King Brown
    Good question, Reuben. Depends on the mission, I guess. What's the load and range penalty with that heavier engine and fuel consumption? I can't speak for performance with a 500-pound overload but 180hp with 2250s does wonderfully and I wouldn't even go to 210hp because of fuel considerations.
    Well hauling heavy loads long ways. ( 2-3 people + baggage up to 300 miles or as mush gear as you can put in it for same distance).

Reuben

Post Thanks / Like

Bushmaster on floats

That's serious hauling compared to my two-person, fishing-hunting 100-mile flights, Reuben, a whole other thing. A friend tells me he's handicapped with 2440 floats with 180hp in his Bushmaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it is more the kind of work that you use a 185 or helio for.

What id the useful load on your bushmaster 180?

Reuben

Post Thanks / Like

Bushmaster on floats

Empty 1318, gross 2250, two persons, full fuel, 100 pounds baggage on 2250 floats. The 180 Lycoming is no handicap for small lakes and ponds for hunting and fishing.

With extended tailfeathers, you're on step zip and off within 10 seconds. Needless to say, the registered GW is very modest with the Smith wing. Your missions are something else entirely.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the empty on wheels?

Reuben

Post Thanks / Like

bushmaster on floats

Empty weight on wheels 1318, empty weight on floats 1537.

Post Thanks / Like
    How would your bm 180 compare to a four place super cub with o-360?

Reuben

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know a guy from south BC moving to north BC, & would like to have a BM.

I know a lady who owns a BM whose initials are BM.

Both factoids, no BM!
    Nimpo Lake Logan... boonie SuperCubber
    200mi (300km) from nearest stoplight... just right! - "Que hesitatus fornicatus est"
    Likes C-FIJK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone just mentioned to me that BM have a weak undercarriage (on wheels)? Any truth to that?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Super 20 gear

If you use Eddy Trimmers Cub gear conversion the problem goes away. It can be seen on our latest A/C at www.shortwingsupercub.com

Post Thanks / Like

parts

Are parts difficult to find for the Bushmaster?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Bushmaster on floats

Tazin, a Bushmaster, experimental or certified, is a modified Piper PA-22 or Tri-Pacer. In experimental category, I stretched the fuselage by 27 inches and made larger tailfeathers, converted to conventional gear, larger 180hp engine and McCauley 84/43 prop. Parts are no problem: buy them or make them.

Post Thanks / Like

Bushmaster

Hello,

Long time lurker, first post. I am also in the market for a Bushmaster. Don,t mean to hijack the thread but thought it maybe be a good spot to exchange info. I am considering a BM from southen BC. I live in the Yukon and North Western Ontario. If you guys know of any for sale or can direct me to any good on line information etc. I would be very grateful. I,ll do the same. I wouldnt mind a mild project but dont want a full blwon rebuild or kit, or complete re-assembly. I am looking forward to the prospects.

Cheers, Dog_River

Post Thanks / Like

bushmaster

well guys look at the classifieds on this site . I have a bushmaster project that I would let go for a real reasonable price.

Post Thanks / Like

Bushmaster on floats

Why moving undercarriage forward, iceboat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello members, I am new to the site and its great to read your comments on the BM. My Uncle has been around BM for the better part of 20 years. He worked with Milo DeAngelis on many BM builds over the past years in the Okanagan. Currently my uncle lives and and works on BM out of Villeneuve, Alberta. He does not do email but you can contact me for further info if your interested. Thankyou

Post Thanks / Like
    Two of us are trying to assemble all the Bushmaster Drawings on a CD.

We are missing SAC-2100 and SAC-2200 all sheets and SAC-2700 Sheets 2,3 and 4

If you can help we will return your drawings and provide a CD.

steph3339 at gmail dot com

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The one your looking at is the only certified one in Canada , they have operated it for a few years now .

Quote Originally Posted by tazin river View Post
    The bushmaster I am looking at rigth now is actually a certified aircraft and is not in the O & M category so I am just wondering what stc's there are available for an upgrade for floats? Are the 2200 stc's?

Cheers

Tazin
    Gerry Marcil

Every day spent flying is a great day !

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.lespac.com/pincourt-monte...&requester=SCH

Quote Originally Posted by Dog_River View Post
    Hello,

Long time lurker, first post. I am also in the market for a Bushmaster. Don,t mean to hijack the thread but thought it maybe be a good spot to exchange info. I am considering a BM from southen BC. I live in the Yukon and North Western Ontario. If you guys know of any for sale or can direct me to any good on line information etc. I would be very grateful. I,ll do the same. I wouldnt mind a mild project but dont want a full blwon rebuild or kit, or complete re-assembly. I am looking forward to the prospects.

Cheers, Dog_River
    Last edited by C-FIJK; 08-11-2017 at 08:17 AM.
    Gerry Marcil

Every day spent flying is a great day !