• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bushwheel Recycling: What to Do with Worn Out Bushwheels

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
IMG_0460-1.JPG

IMG_0467-1.JPG

IMG_0465-1.JPG

IMG_0463-1.JPG

IMG_0470-1.JPG

IMG_0473-1.JPG

IMG_0522-1.JPG

IMG_0524-1.JPG

IMG_0492-1.JPG

If you don't believe it, watch the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J78BoGHrT-g

The Bushwheel Recycling Team

You found good ways to save the planet :D

But seriously, am I dreaming or I saw some old bushwheels recap?? With a new rubber band vulcanized or something on the tire.

I'm asking because I want an old set to put on my expirimental.

From looking at the video it looks like poor Billy either needs a smaller Bushwheel or a bigger engine on the boat. :lol:

I'm beginning to wonder - what is it with Missouri and tiny engines on boats/pontoons? :-?

Is this some sort of cultural thing?

:D

Actually, the boat would go a lot faster, but the bushwheel would dive like a submarine when you put any power to it.

And then there was the boat patrol pulling us over...

sj

Bushwheel Recycling: What to Do with Worn Out Bushwheels

Olibuilt
I saw a cub at Delta Junction Ak [D66] when I was there in 2008 that had recaped bushwheels on . I did not get to talk to the owner but they looked good.
Doug

Ummm, Steve, Laura, Billy, next time you're out our way, we'll see if Girlscout can wrangle a pass onto Horshoe Lake, with a 75 Honda on a pontoon, or a 460 Ford on a SERIOUS ski boat.... :lol:

Thanks. cubscout

cubscout said:
Ummm, Steve, Laura, Billy, next time you're out our way, we'll see if Girlscout can wrangle a pass onto Horshoe Lake, with a 75 Honda on a pontoon, or a 460 Ford on a SERIOUS ski boat.... :lol:

Thanks. cubscout

How about a 460 Ford on a pontoon.

Re: Bushwheel Recycling: What to Do with Worn Out Bushwheels

brown bear said:
Olibuilt
I saw a cub at Delta Junction Ak [D66] when I was there in 2008 that had recaped bushwheels on . I did not get to talk to the owner but they looked good.
Doug

I saw a recap set for sale while ago on alaska classified. I want to know want technique the guys use to referbish them.

I picked up my worn out 31'' that my friend gave me. Went to the recap tire shop but the guys don't know how to recap them.....

Looking for the technique use or a pic of a recap bushwheel.

There is no approved method for recapping Bushwheels. People have used redneck ways like using bedliner to do their own. :eek: Kinda scary if ya ask me, I picture it slinging off and around ya go and what will those repairs costs?

Carey Gray said:
Would I recommend recapping Bushwheels with bedliner? Nope.
Is the stuff gonna fly off and go through your prop? Nope.
Is it worth it? Nope.
For the right guy, with the right airplane on the right airport, it works.
Will it start to peel the day before you're ready to leave for two weeks? Maybe. Too many variables to know how long it'll last.
I could save a few folks a bunch of grief and post receipts showing all the money I've spent trying to save money on Bushwheels.
It was fun, expensive and I wouldn't have done it if I had anything important to do with the airplane. The tires didn't go too far from home.
The Bushwheel guys make a great product. If you need/want them, buy some new Bushwheels. I did.

Sage advise, Carey. I just ordered a new set of 31's from Wup. Sold my old ones to someone who will put them on Experimental and only use for sandy beach landings. He may use a bedliner material on them....whatever works.

I was able to get 4 years and 1000 hrs from mine. 95% off grass, HOWEVER, I have an 800ft driveway/taxiway from my hangar to the grass runway...and it is NOT straight....I figure that is where the wear happens.

All in all a good investment....just check out all the neat places I took my Smith Cub! http://gallery.me.com/lou46#gallery

Lou :D

..how about two 16 oz cans of "Great Stuff" blown in each tire, and forget about air or leaks? With the 4 extra pounds, leave the bicycle pump at home.

81662.jpg

But seriously, I tough that if we could recap a truck or car tire, we could recap a 1500$ tire............

I must ask,

Has / is there any change to this story..? does AlaskanBushWheels do recaps..?

do what farmers did in the '70's. Get your new bush wheels on the airplane, and mount up your old ones as "duals" and run both at 1/2 the old pressure. You can now roll over logs, etc.

I am the first one to say the bed liner recap was nuts. I have refused to even consider it. I have watched a few others with the sandpaper finish on their ABWs and have made all the jokes. I saw the process of applying finish from scratch using Xylene to clean and the three coat process with overnight dry time in between ......The dam stuff works. Depending on use it wears like iron and then a simple recoat brings them back up. The other great thing is the nationwide distribution at
National Airplane Parts Associates...NAPA for short.

I don't know when the 31s are looking thin and a new set is made in Alaska at night job by George Aktango I might join the cool kids and give them a coat.

I just purchased a used set of 29"s. same part number but one was built in 04 and the other in 11. They are both radials.

i was informed the early production tires looked kinda like a recap so that's why some might be confused and thinking ABW is recapping them.

long story short, the tires I got are different physical sizes. The older one is 1" taller and narrower than the new ones.

Anybody else in this dilemma or have one nice one for sale

I am the first one to say the bed liner recap was nuts. I have refused to even consider it. I have watched a few others with the sandpaper finish on their ABWs and have made all the jokes. I saw the process of applying finish from scratch using Xylene to clean and the three coat process with overnight dry time in between ......The dam stuff works. Depending on use it wears like iron and then a simple recoat brings them back up. The other great thing is the nationwide distribution at
National Airplane Parts Associates...NAPA for short.

I don't know when the 31s are looking thin and a new set is made in Alaska at night job by George Aktango I might join the cool kids and give them a coat.

Huh, I thought I landed somewhere and got some sort of tar on the tires..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"I used Herculiner which comes in a can, I used one quart and it allowed me to put two coats on the tires. first I washed and cleaned tires let dry then again with paint solvent,
again let dry...stir up can as it settles in bottom, I used a paint brush, one light coat all the way into the rim beads then after it was near dry (not tacky to touch) I did another coat
and used balance of can between both tires. Stuff has really worked well, I tried every thing
to rub,scuff, knock it off from blacktop to rock and shale....nothing would touch it. When I lost a engine I had to put the cub down in a tight ravine to stay out of river, it did a number on the cub The tires came out of it with out a scratch. I know few guys who have had them sprayed at bed liner shops, with smooth finish...they to have held up. Hope this helps.". This was posted somewhere a few years ago. I used xylene instead of regular thinner. The first time I did it, I did not scuff enough. It mostly came off, but little soft pieces. Second time I used 60 grit and really cleaned with xylene. It has held up well, with several pavement landings.

Hello everybody, apologies for digging up a dinosaur thread.

I'd first like to say that I'm new to this site and no nothing about flying or planes. Sorry! I am however looking for a used, worn out Bushwheel for a project I'm working on. I'm building a "bike" around it and do not need anything brand new. At ~$1800 for a set, I'm looking for something much cheaper too.

If it holds air and has at least some rubber still on the tread I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.

I'm located in Utah as well so it will probably have to be shipped.

Please, if someone has an old one laying around that isn't good enough to use on a plane, I'd really appreciate it if you give me a shot at it.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, and old rim would be a plus too (though I maybe able to get something fabbed up...)

A mini bike with those for tires=now that would be cool. Thought about this a little, on gravel they wouldnt last very long on a scooter.

Last edited:
Back