Thread: STC for 30" goodyear Airstreaks

Post Thanks / Like

STC for 30" goodyear Airstreaks

Trying to get the cub all ship shape, and really don't want to spend the dough on the 31 BW, even though it is probably worth it; so now I'm trying to find an STC for my 30" Goodyear Airstreaks. I've heard that you can't get it, that you can, that you can get a field approval, and that you can't. If someone could shed some light on the situation, or even better, find me a cheap pair of 31's, that would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen 26'' Goodyears & 30'' Airstreaks, but I am not familiar witha 30'' Goodyear Airstreak. I belive the 26'' Goodyears are STCed from Cubcrafters th eold Airstreaks were Field Aprroved pretty hard to find a Good pair the FAA would sign off. Used Bushwheels are around for Just have to get lucky Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Goodyear AirWHEELS? or something like that for 4" rims?

or AIRSTREAKS for 6" rims?

Goodyear 4" should be ok to put on, may be TCed.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Goodyear made 30 inch Airwheels. A different company made 30 inch Airstreaks. Goodyear currently makes 26 inch tires for their blimps.

None of these are stc'd. You'd need a field approval. I BELIEVE the only big tires stc'd are those made by Alaska Bushwheel.

You should be able to get the other tires field approved, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

tires

Goodyear made 30 and 36 tires until the mid 1970s. The tires had ridges at the point of contact with the wheel. The tires used a 7 wheel with ridges on the outside. The tire ridges fit into the ridges on the wheel, this was to keep the tire from spinning on the rim and tearing out the valve stem. Landis made adapters so 6 Cleveland wheels could be used with a field approval.
    The 30 Goodyear tires worked OK on my C-185 and the 36 Goodyear worked well on my Helio Courier. The tires required a field approval and were very heavy. I tried a pair of the 30 on a PA-18 but they were too heavy to be practical and the side walls were so stiff it was hard on the plane.
    Good luck trying to get a field approval for the old 30 or 36 Goodyear tires that are all over 30 years old.
    Jerry Jacques

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58
    Goodyear AirWHEELS? or something like that for 4" rims?

were those the ones with the springs molded into tread of them for traction too? right...

one cub we leased had them, and a few others around back then had them...

and originally came with a ?? 5" rim... but rubber was cut out to fit a 6" Cleavland? or some scary mod like that..... (That red adapter that made a 4" wheel fit a 5" tire, think that whats refered to as made by landes.. before my time, only used/seen old cracked ones)...

know of someone with a set of the old 36" still on his shelf.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

No the old Goodyear Airwheels came in, I believe both 25 and 30 inch diameter, and fit a 4 inch wheel. I had a set of 25 on my J 3 and we ran several sets of those and the 30 inch on SC. They were tubeless tires, I believe, though it's been a lonnnnggg time.

Great tires, but these were very old tires in the late 70's when I used them. None were stc'd. One thing I recall is that there wasn't even a hint of braking effectiveness with these things on the old 4 inch wheels and brakes....

MTV

Post Thanks / Like

stc for 30inch goodyear airstreaks

runnning 25x4 on my j-3, really like them, mike is right about the brakes, just don't land where you need to use much braking action, they have saved the bacon a time or two in soft mud and sand

Post Thanks / Like
    gunner........if things don't work out for you and the Airleaks, oops, Airstreaks are in good shape then let me know........I'll buy them