• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Barn Finds

jaypratt

FOUNDER
Fort Worth, TX
Tell us about your barn finds.

Mine is a Cessna 180J, 1976, 1035 TT, one owner, one hanger, on a farm, here in the DFW Metromess, no mods, never left outside over night. No damage. Still looks new,,,,,,,,,,,,, from ten feet.

PS: I built my Super Cub,,,,,,,,,,, did not find it........

Barns

A few years back a friend and I would look every weekend for Model A parts. It got to be fun and you would be amazed how good you can get at it. In one of the barns hanging from the wall was a cub frame and wings. I asked the lady about that and she said her husband died a few years ago and there sits the plane in parts ect. But of course, Im looking for old car parts, who would want a old plane. A few years later, I finally relized what I passed up. Think I could find that barn again ! How could you loose a barn. I looked several times with no luck.

Bill

In this barn there are two of these with wings and a J5

Bill_s_planes_005.JPG

Tim,
Fairchild PT-26,
Is that the gear to a Fairchild 24 on the left side of the picture?
Dave

That is pretty cool. See a few around Fairbanks but most people say they are gonna fix it up, and still say the same thing 20 years later with no progress.

Met a gent and his wife that have a 1931 Curtiss Jr that they bought as a project in 1946 in New Hampshire, moved to the Syracuse NY area in the 50's then to southern Cal in the 60's then back to Schenectady NY in the 70's then to Smokertown Pa in the 80's and towed the Jr behind a truck every place they have lived in the last 60 years, they are both in there late 80's and don't want to sell it just yet :eek: I guess if it still make's you want to get outa bed in the moring that it's OK, had lunch with them, still a pretty cool couple with a dream of finishing it in the future, I hope if I live that long that I still have a passion that drives me.

Glenn

Indabush said:
That is pretty cool. See a few around Fairbanks but most people say they are gonna fix it up, and still say the same thing 20 years later with no progress.

Yup, was back in FAI this spring for the mining conference, and saw the same project planes I looked at in 1999 when I was a freshman at UAF walking down to the east ramp for training. Brought back memories.

Bill

If someone is interested, there is an Aeronca Champ that hasn't been used in some 10-15 years in southern Texas. I saw it 3 years back, couldn't get the guy to sell but if someone here wants to give it a shot, PM me

There was a 65hp Champ that sat in a hangar in Schroon Lake NY when we would land there for lunch, the dust was a 1/4 inch thick on it and a few of the valves had stuck open and we felt sorry for it, we used to flip the prop about 50 times every time we were there to pump some oil around, it was in nice shape but was ignored for about 10 years then one day it was gone

Glenn

That's a gorgeous Ford that stirs memories. They sure knew how to dress a car up in those days. Best I ever found was an all original near mint but v dusty 1941 or 42 VW bug, straight from Germany, in Michigan, corner of Sashabaw and Seymour Lk road. That barn is long gone.

I have to work Saturday. My days off are wed/thur. I was at Cow Creek a few weeks ago and its in excellent condition.

29530_1343297776831_1062819903_30905911_91875_n.jpg

Off Topic

Hey if any of you guys know of a 1930-1936 ford 1 ton truck around that is solid i am looking for a new project , just looking for a soild cab, fenders, frame, does not have to have a box!

Email me if you know of one around c-ffwu@hotmail.com

Gerry

Is it ME or does anybody else think that prop is way long for what could be no bigger than an O-200 engine.....Maybe it just LOOKS bigger than it is....

P10000951.jpg

Grant---seems to me props always look bigger when there is no cowling. Looks like an interesting bike w/sidecar in that photo :-?

Grant said:
Is it ME or does anybody else think that prop is way long for what could be no bigger than an O-200 engine.....Maybe it just LOOKS bigger than it is....[img)

I was just thinking that since I just bought a new 74" prop for my C-85, the longest allowed by the TCDS, and it look way shorter.

Mike-

Grant said:
Is it ME or does anybody else think that prop is way long for what could be no bigger than an O-200 engine.....Maybe it just LOOKS bigger than it is....

P10000951.jpg

Grant,

Foreshortening. Compare the prop to the individuals in the background, not the 0-200 (engine).

"In a photograph of a recumbent figure, for instance, those parts of it, such as the feet, that are nearest the lens will seem unnaturally large, those at a distance, such as the head, unnaturally small." http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/213452/foreshortening

Regards,

HT

Back