Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Cub Project

Post Thanks / Like

Our Cub Project

For nine months now, my Father and I have been steadily working on our experimental cub. It is not a kit, but a blend of all the ideas we have read about on here or came up with staring at the plane. Here are some pictures of what we have so far.

We started by accident, we were rebuilding an PA-28-180 and we heard about a hunk of fuselage and some various pieces.

Then came the jig

After we had the longerons connecting the tail section to the fuselage, it was time to start cutting, and cutting.

After two months of working, we had what looked like a fuselage finally. We used the plans on Christians site, www.supercubproject.com, blown up on a plotter.

Post Thanks / Like
    After the fuse was whole, we made the engine mount. An extension was welded to our floor jig and we set the enigne up for 0 thrust, 1" down. Our engine is an O-360 conical mount. We also made it a swing out.

The engine mount came out great so it was on to the Landing gear. After looking around, I got a hold of Steve at www.super-12.com and got an unfinished gear kit from him. The price was right and it allowed us to set it up to our plane. His work is outstanding and he did not seem too upset at all my questions! They are 3" extended.

Some where in this time the cabane V was made. It is the later model with -5 attach points.

Finishing the gear legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    The gear was taken off and set aside while we pondered a suspension system. So it was on to the Firewall/boot cowl. We went with a TI firewall. We had a machine shop in Jacksonville roll the beads in it. It was pretty easy to work with considering.

Then the boot cowl. It might look a bit different than standard, but with the two doors, it works.

Building the supports for the boot cowl is a PAIN!!! We got it worked out and it fits quite well.

Dad made the windshield trim out of carbon fiber left over from a Lancair build.

Fits like a glove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Next we build some floor board templates out of 1/4 ply from Lowes. We are going to build the finals out of 10 ply when the time comes.

We cheated on the Arches for the rear deck. I talked to Wayne at Backcountry and he set us up with a set of arches and the extruded stringers for a great price. Unfortunately right after our order, their entire shop got swine flu and we had some shipping delays....we also got a split 180hp nose bowl.

Top stringers going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    We decided to go with the die spring gear and Marty's (Marty57) drawings proved invaluable. They are in the gallery.

safety glasses optional!

Complete, just that easy.

First time on wheels!

Back on the Jig for side and bottom stingers

Post Thanks / Like
    The tail was next. We cut an old work table in half and built a jig for the elevators.

Then started making pieces.

After an hour, poof, there was a tail

I copied Bill Rusks electric trim system, with a few minor changes.

While Dad made the upper baggage door.

Torque tube and pedals in and fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    We decided to go with overhead flaps like the carbon cub. The nice people at CC sent me a few pics and this is what we came up with.

That is where the picture end for now. We are building the engine right now. it is an solid crank O360, 9.5:1 Combustion Technology pistons, Performance Engines Stage 3 cam, worked cylinders and a leading edge exhaust. We are looking for a carb right now. GOT ONE to sell?

Post Thanks / Like
    How cool is that.. father and son building a cub together. It looks like both of you are quite gifted with a torch. I like the part where you say "After an hour, poof, there was a tail", not sure I could do it in a week. I was a little bummed out when I came to the last photo. Please keep them coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done on your project so far
    I see you are using the coil springs for suspention, I have the same stuff on my L-18 -115 replica and it works like a charm. Very little maintenance, no bungee covers and a nice smooth ride.
    My MAUW is 1600 lb.

Keep going untill there are no more parts left on the floor, then you are done!

Theuns

Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding! Thanks for sharing with us! I will put a link on my web site to your photo album. Keep going, you'll get there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job, and a nice shop to work in.
    I have die spring gear on my 2+2 also. In the picture the tires look like they are straight up and down, and you have just a bare fuselage. I hope when it's a complete airplane the gear doesn't splay out. I know my tires (31s) are straight up and down with wings, fabric, full fuel, and a bunch of camping gear in the back.

Tim

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job and thanks for posting.

John Pex
    72A
    Chugiak AK

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    ... I have die spring gear on my 2+2 also. In the picture the tires look like they are straight up and down, and you have just a bare fuselage. I hope when it's a complete airplane the gear doesn't splay out. I know my tires (31s) are straight up and down with wings, fabric, full fuel, and a bunch of camping gear in the back.
    Tim
    Gear splay is an interesting topic. I have Larry Bauers dual spring setup. I was glad they were adjustable because I had to turn mine in quite a bit to bit to eliminate any splay. I kept fine tuning as I loaded the plane up to gross weight and now the splay is gone. For the fixed die springs, hopefully they are firm enough to begin with to counter splay.

I really like Larry's dual springs. They work excellent once adjusted.

Post Thanks / Like
    We took the gear sag problem into account by making the ends of our die gear adjustable. We used the same rolled threaded ends as the struts.
    We have about an inch each way to adjust. There is a sleeve welded into the spring leg that goes 2" in and is rosette welded also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see the lightning holes in the gear gusset, a lot of people wouldn't have bothered, but you can't save too much weight! Keep it up!
    Looks like a great project. I just checked my gear splay prior to installing skis (DatumAir) I put the mains on some wheeled carts (usually used for moving snowmachines around on concrete) so they could splay out, loaded it to gross, and they were exactly 90 degrees, that's great as I have no adjustment.

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcraft128
    ... We used the same rolled threaded ends as the struts.
    you think that strut fork is gonna stand up to that??? awful small bearing area on the bolt compared to a shock strut... others use that???

or is that just your temporary thing till you figure out the right length?

Post Thanks / Like
    The rodend has a busing in it that fits in the space properly and the bolt that attaches it to the gear leg is the same size as originally called for. What do you see wrong with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like it will work well for a while, question is how long. I don't think a strut with a rod end gets the beating a gear gets. Who knows maybe you came up with something different that works good. Just keep an eye on it.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    The airplane pictured has a set of struts on it from a Maule. The ends are eye bolts similar to the strut ends you have. A few months after he built it one of the bolts failed on a river bar landing putting one wing tip in the ground. Luckily he had safety cables and nothing else got damaged. The airplane was fixed easily enough, but he re-designed his ends and bought some different eyes that are 10 times stronger than what he had. My point is, yes it works, but you better make sure they are damn strong for gear legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking project tcraft! I have received a lot of help from Steve (steve@super-12.com) on my project too. I'm pretty sure I saw your gear kit there in his shop right before he shipped it out to you.

I think on the gear assemblies he's building he's using a heavy-duty Heim joint at the strut / gear connection. You may want to touch base with him on that. It would eliminate any stress amplification due to asymmetry in the joint, but weighs a little more. However, I'm thinking stock is just cross-drilled and reinforced tube, and yours might be better that that - - Anyway, just a thought.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic job. You guys are really moving along and skilled to boot.

Thanks for posting.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Our Cub Project

Great post.! cann't wait for more.
    DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job. Add this to the list of great homebuilts on SC.org!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post and share your project. Inspirational stuff.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

overhead flap handle

Can you share with us what cub crafters charged for the flap components that are in the photo? I am in the process of a PA18 build. Having these at a fair price would cut the build time. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Cub Crafters overhead system is a little tricky to replicate. The hang the flap from the Fuselage and move it with a direct link. So to bolt their handle in requires their rear flap hangar, their handle and pushrods. Also the top bar where most have the X they used a V. The pillow blocks they use wont work on a X braced top deck. The cost they quoted me for the handle, blocks, and rear pivots was almost 1300. We are almost finished with our setup and I will post detailed pics soon. The way we did it you use the factory hangars and rear pulleys so it changes nothing in the wing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some pictures of our overhead flap system.

The aileron cable will pass through the cross tube.

The rear pulley is in the same location as the factory flap pulley.

We also finished assembly of our engine.
    o-360 solid crank
    9.5:1 Combustion Tech Pistons
    Performance aircraft engines stage 3 cam
    Flowed Cylinders
    LE exhaust

And thanks to Craig at Catto for the great looking prop!

Post Thanks / Like
    For the aileron cable passthrough in the cockpit, are you going to connect the two sides from somewhere else? Normally the balance cable is connected in the center. I couldn't see if there is a slot or something.

Can you share the details of the prop? Size, price range?

Nice engine too!

Post Thanks / Like
    tcraft128, great progress photos! Thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Prop is 84-42 and it was a deal because it was one of the test props for the 0-375 pull test in a previous thread. Craig said they cost 2100 for the prop, hardware is a little extra.

The balance cable will connect in the wing on one side. I THINK that is how the carbon cub does it. Experimental

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a month since my last update and we have made some progress. We hung the engine and are working on the cowling. We have decided to go with the round filter. We made our channels from Christians drawings and bought a nose bowl from Back Country Cubs. It is for the 360 and split.

It comes pretty good, but it needed some work.

Top and bottom channels installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    We also went to Sun N Fun and met some friends, Charlie, The Donald and Steve P. We camped around our Cherokee (background) behind this sweet ride.

I got to look at Charlie's plane pretty close, it is the first Pa-18 I have been around besides ours in years. IF you have not seen it, it was very clean. He had his homemade pod on.

The nice thing about being around so many different types of planes is you can compare them side by side.

The balloons went off early Saturday morning.

And everyone had a great time...except Suzanne

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to WORK!!!

Side cowls are next.

Cowling stringers? stiffeners? thingys?

Just like the video...

Air box. Round one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. Nice job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tcraft128, Great looking project. Was good to meet you and Suzanne at Fun and Sun.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the new software up and running, I am going to continue this in the blog section. Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. We are wrapping up the fuselage and I have ordered the spars for the win build. Check the blogs out if you have not, there are a bunch of new and rebuilds going.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would kill to do what you are doing. It would take me 100 hours just to figure out how to measure something properly. I have to change my skillset. I am ashamed.

Post Thanks / Like
    fabricfan if you are serious. Go to Christian Sturms site and pick out one part (drawings section) then pick out one sub part of the part (for instance an aileron rib). Read up how to build that one part (there are many different ways), order the material (onlinemetals.com), make the rib, make several, send them to me (just kidding). Don't set out to build an airplane, just to build a rib. Figure out how to build that one rib right and after that effort the rest of the small aluminum brackets in the whole aircraft will be a piece of cake. Your not building a plane, your building a part.

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qsmx440 View Post
    Your not building a plane, your building a part.
    Excellent advice.
    No part of building a plane is rocket science. Just very time consuming & satisfying.
    Internet research the topic: How to eat an elephant.
    Same-same.
    Nimpo Lake Logan... boonie SuperCubber
    200mi (300km) from nearest stoplight... just right! - "Que hesitatus fornicatus est"