• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub in a barn

I think Steve Pierce is already assisting Jared in the restoration of this Cub. It will be fun to follow the progress.

It was at Steve's for a short time last year but the kid picked it up and is going to do the work himself on it (to bad) it looks like he's going the cheap rought.

I know where there is one in about the same shape. in a barn. The guy won't let go of it though. I tried to buy it years ago, and his reply was "no, one of these days I'm gonna hollywood it all up!" Too bad, I 'd had it flying by now. oh, well, If I would have gotten that, I wouldn't have gotten my super cub.

Been watching a nice 77 supercub die a slow death for 20 years---so sad. Owner hanging on to his dreams :-? refuses to sell or fix. :(

yeah, come to think of it, there was a yellow one (pa-18 ) in Albuquerque I acquired about that the fabric was starting to melt off of, and tires flat, starting to/was going thru the tarmac. I looked up the N number, contacted the owner, and they said and I quote "oh, no, we can't sell that, that's our baby!" I thought to myself, if that is your baby, you shouldn't be a parent! Crazy!

agavmechanic said:
I thought to myself, if that is your baby, you shouldn't be a parent! Crazy!

You guys need to put yourself in their shoes. Many of them probably owned these airplanes since before you were born. Many of them may not have flown for years but as long as they own that airplane, somewhere in the back of their mind they are "still" pilots. If they let it go the dream is gone.
Hopefully you will live long enough to get there and when you do perhaps you will understand.

Go easy on them, it's all they have left.

Yep, old pilots hate to let go of that flying dream, after all, what else do they have left. I'm more fortunate though because i have a flying son(professional pilot) and when i get too old he can still fly me around.
At my base airport there are 90 hangars, many stuffed with 2 planes, mainly owned by OLD airline pilots, that haven't seen the light of day for many years and just rusting away but still they hold on and will not part with them. THAT'S LIFE.
gary

Taledrger---Not neccesarily so. I had the privelege of flying this airplane before it was sold to the present owner. I would seriously doubt he flew it 20 hrs, since he purchased it more than 20 years ago. however you are correct---sometimes we need to hang on to dreams. It just hurts to see this nice airplane slowly rot away---I had some serious fun with it years ago. :cry: There was a time I put 20 hrs a week on it!!!! :D

There's a nice C-170 in a crumbling hangar at a disused airport near me. Hasn't flown since roughly 1965. Owner won't part with it. I think he's the same type of guy Taledrgr described.

Back at another airport there was a Beech Sundowner. It sat unflown for a decade or more. The owner would get it annualled every year, but he never flew it. Eventually he decided to sell, and the day the buyer showed up he literally cried. He was precisely the type of guy Taledrgr described.

Ruidoso Ron said:
I think Steve Pierce is already assisting Jared in the restoration of this Cub. It will be fun to follow the progress.

We did do the repairs on the fuselage a few weeks ago. Nice frame, just some external corrosion. Inside of the tubing was like new.

agavmechanic said:
yeah, come to think of it, there was a yellow one (pa-18 ) in Albuquerque I acquired about that the fabric was starting to melt off of, and tires flat, starting to/was going thru the tarmac. I looked up the N number, contacted the owner, and they said and I quote "oh, no, we can't sell that, that's our baby!" I thought to myself, if that is your baby, you shouldn't be a parent! Crazy!

They should be brought up on charges of CHILD ABUSE

barn

While driving by the T hangars at Torrance CA, I spied a Super Cub, and stopped in to see the owner, who was very welcoming. We had a long chat, and he told me about a local waitress admonishing him not to put too much salt on his food. He laughed and said that at 92 he wasn't too worried about it.. Sitting in your hangar with your tired plane beats the heck out of being in a home. Fact is that selling one's plane is like like giving up on life. Let 'em enjoy it. The airframes will outlast us all. 8)

more than one of these old birds, (planes and pilots) are victims of lost medicals.

Some of these guys want to fly, but with no medical, they can't. Some times all the need is one of the younger guys to offer to go up with them, pay gas, and sometimes if you maintain it, you can use it!

Might be worth rebuilding one of these old birds with the agreement it is yours after they die....

We have a few here also. It happens.

barn cub

I know of another cub thats in about the same condition. It's an early J3.
Hasn't flown in more than 20yrs. Birds living inside it and every other animal that northern wisconsin has.
I offered the owner 10k for it. He wasn't amused about that. But never told me what he wanted for it either.
It's probably still there!

Old Planes

It would be fun, to take a picture of a old plane and send it in to SuperCub.org and we could start a new thread, just pictures of old planes.

I parked my yellow SuperCub at a old airport one day and a really old fellow came over to look at it. He said, I learned to fly in one just like that only it was a J-3. Then he said I own that house about 200 feet from the airport and see alot of planes. But I had to come see this one. I told him when he comes back from Arizona this spring, I would take him for a ride. You should have seen the smile on his face. I will get his picture in it as well and send in a copy and give him a copy. The planes are great but these old pilot's they are the real Jewls.

Bill

If you have hauled your share of Young Eagles try something new, take an old pilot for a ride, it's called the Golden Eagles, you might learn something :lol:

Glenn

Patrol Guy, that looks like a champ fuse with the top missing. The tank and Nose bowl look just like our 7BCM.

Cool stuff, there used to be some old planes that were cut up for snowplanes around here, but they are pretty much gone now.

There was a cub of some kind..?...rotting away in a hanger in Hartley, Iowa..(in 1998)..might still be there. I didn't see it, but my bud said it looked like a J4... :eek:

I knew a old timer like that. He's gone now. He had a large collection of Fairchild 24s, Taylorcraft BC-12s and a 15 and 20s, all on or with floats. He wouldn't sell anything "gonna fix it up some day". I never did learn what happened to them after he went west.

I know of a J-3 in a barn right now that the owner (non-pilot) won't get rid of, it was his dad's. He was talking about having it restored until he found out what that would cost. It will probably rot away, or the barn will collapse on it.

I also know of an old straight tail Cessna 310 that up until a few years ago had trees blocking it in the hangar that grew up after the plane was parked. The plane is still sitting there.

I also know of a Willys jeep sitting in a pasture rotting away. I asked about it around 1980, was told "I'm going to restore it." It is sitting in the same spot today.

Met one of those old greats a few summers ago...Luverne “Vern” A. Kraemer...in his strip and haner at Nemo SD...neat old guy...lots of good stories...in his hanger was 2 J-3's, and several other planes...including The American Triwing he built in 59...
Hall_Fame_clip_image003.jpg

Vern is in the SD Aviation Hall of Fame...must be in his 90's...I try to stop ever summer when I go to Rapid for a visit. By they wa...his J-3 is a gem...said it was the one he solo'd in in 1940 or so...

"There was a cub of some kind..?...rotting away in a hanger in Hartley, Iowa..(in 1998)..might still be there. I didn't see it, but my bud said it looked like a J4... "

Owner was in Mn. somewhere......family heirloom? An old J5, been sitting so long that the tail section is getting twisted to death, same one. :(

My family has a '46 PA-12 that I would love to get in the air again. My grandfather has one that hasn't been up in well over a decade and is in his shop with the wings off. He realizes he can't afford to fix it up, but doesn't want to sell it either. Unlike others though, my dad is a pilot who has the desire and possibly the cash to do the restoration, but not the time. I really love the idea of fixing it up myself and hope that with some encouragement and assistance from me, perhaps I can get them onboard with it. I would finally get my pilots license if we could do it. This plane has been in the family for almost 40 years, so I would hate to see it sold or completely rot away.

I would get your pilot's license regardless, but yes...do try to get the PA-12 going as a family project.

Back