• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub in a barn

I just bought a PA-12 two months ago in West Memphis TN that had been hanging in a hanger for 33 years the fuselage will be ready to cover in 3 weeks.
EV

...selling one's plane is like like giving up on life. Let 'em enjoy it...

Think of all the really cool homebuilts across the country and free world that sit partially finished in someone's garage or storaged building; Pitts, Formula 1 Racers, Cub types, Replicas. At one point, that was a life long dream to the builder but for whatever reason, the builder hasn't/can't finish it. The thing is, as long as you still have the project, you haven't failed (in their mind) but as soon as you sell - - - You lock in your loss and forever more it will be something you couldn't complete.

Like W.M. says, "Let 'em enjoy it."

Not a Cub heirloom but I have my Dad's Champ he bought in 1961, I soloed it in '71. I will just pass it on to my son whenever. My brother soloed it in '67 has no interest in it or flying in general.

There's an airport here in the KC area loaded with hangars full of old planes that have just sat for years and years. Lots of lost medical cases, one hangar in particular had 4 planes that were all super nice older biplanes - a Pitts and 3 others that I can't remember. Covered in dust and bird poop with flat tires. I can understand hanging on to them - totally - but it is sad to see such great airplanes rotting away. It'd probably depress ME as owner but who am I to talk.

There's an old, OLD Cherokee at MKC sitting on tiedowns in no-man's land. At one point that WAS the tiedown area - just north and east of the control tower. Now the old hangars have been torn down, new hangars built, new tiedown areas along the perimeter fence - and that plane sits by itself in the old gravel area, unmoved, tires flat, struts collapsed, canvas window cover torn to shreds and flapping in the wind - no longer covering anything, bleached by the sun. Little if any paint left on it at all - it sits at an uncomfortable angle and resembles a shipwreck. The husband of one of my students looked up the N-number, traced the owner, got in contact with him. Same situation, old fellow, lost his medical, HAS MOVED TO OHIO - and refuses to sell or do anything with it. Of course it's worth next to nothing. It has sat there for at least 8 or 9 years that I personally know of, out in the elements. I just wonder how much longer the airport management will leave it sitting - more construction projects and hangars loom, so I'm sure at some point it will lose its home.

Back