• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Need McCauley 1P235 and O-360 Certified Example

Bugs66

Spokane WA
Sorry about the weird title but I am looking for a certified airplane that may have had an O-360 and 1P235 prop certified together. If I can find one then I have a 25hr test flight period, otherwise I will get a 40hr.

Just thought I would float this out there in case anyone has been down this path before. I've been searching the FAA database on TCs and haven't found one yet. Thanks.

Are you sure about the combo requiring 40 if not certified? It was my understanding that if the engine was certified that was it. Did you trying going to the propellor mfg. web site and look at there approval sheets.

The 1P235 prop is approved under Type Certificate number P12EA.
NOTE 9. Table of Propeller-Engine Combinations Approved Vibrationwise for Use on Normal Category Single Engine Tractor Aircraft

The maximum and minimum propeller diameters that can be used from a vibration standpoint are shown below. No reduction below the minimum diameter listed is permissible since this figure includes the diameter reduction allowable for repair purposes.

Model Engine Model
1P235/AFA Lycoming O-540 &IO-540 series, with one 5th and one-6th order crankshaft damper configuration (up to 260 hp @2700 rpm) Max. Dia. 84(Inches) Min. Dia. 77(Inches) Placards None

1P235/PFA Lycoming O-360 series (up to 180 hp @2700 rpm) Max. Dia. 78(Inches) Min. Dia. 74(Inches) Placards None

1B235/BFA Lycoming IO-360 series (up to 200 hp @2700 rpm) Max. Dia. 78(Inches) Min. Dia. 74(Inches) Placards None

This tells me that the 1P235 prop IS approved on the Lycoming 0-360 with the diameters indicated. You should not have to show that the engine and prop combination is approved on a TC'd airplane, just that they themselves are approved.

Hi, thanks for the info. I have 84" diameter but perhaps that will allow me to get by. Both my engine and prop are certified but was told I need to find a combo that is certified. Will look for the regs on that.

Fortysix12 said:
Good one november one papa alpha one. Where did you find that info?

Try looking here: It is the type certificate data sheet for the 1P235 Prop.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/9c10f16b36ff26c985256712005f77a5/$FILE/p12ea.pdf

I looked up the TC P12EA and it shows 1B235 and not 1P235. I think I am stuck with 40 hrs.

I have the data on a CD from T-data. My copy says: 1P235/PFA Lycoming 0-360 series (up to 180 hp @2700 rpm)

If your prop is stamped 1P235/PFA then it is approved on any 0-360 Lycoming with no restrictions other than the max diameter of 78". The TC does not address what the situation is if the diameter is greater. You should talk to McCauley about that. It could be that there may be a time limit for a certain rpm range. They would have the vibration data and could advise you. There are a lot of Cubs on this site that use this prop. Perhaps there is a STC for this prop on a 0-360 Cub which was issued in Anchorage. Perhaps a call to the FAA engineering office in Anchorage would be useful. I have had very good relations with them in the past.

Yes mine is a PFA but don't think I will be winning this one. Thanks for your help!

Bugs

What was your final outcome with the O360 and the 1P235? 40 hours of testing complete?
All legal?

Do you mind pm'ing me the 337 paperwork you put up? Do you think with your example on the books I could avoid the 40 hour testing requirement and maybe only have to do 25 hours (or none)? Which O360 are your running?
I need to get rid of my 1A200. It is just a brick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

AFAIK, 337's don't exist for experimentals. I just bolt on and go. :)

I have an O-360-A1A

Hahaha. Ahhh. I should have paid more attention to the location of this thread and the fact that you built an experimental cub. You threw me off with your first post looking for a certified example of the P235 O360 combo.
I was really hopeful there for a minute after reading that the chance for a field approval from a FSDO is just about nill nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back