• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AIRGLAS GLH-3000 COMPOSITE/CARBON HYDRAULIC WHEEL SKI.

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
On Dec 3, 2009 Airglas was issued the STC for the GLH-3000 Hydraulic Wheel Ski. The initial STC applies to the following aircraft:

PA-18, PA-12, Cub Crafters CC-18, and the Dakota Super-18.
Husky, Scout, Maule, and Cessna 170 will be added in the future.
The GLH-3000 uses a composite/carbon-fiber construction and weighs in at just 45 lbs per ski. The total surface area of the ski is 1435 sq in giving it 30% more surface area for a weight increase of only 7 pounds over a straight fiberglass ski for a Supercub.

Information about Airglas and their distributors can be found at www.airglas.com

That's GREAT news!! I've never flown a set of Landes retractable wheel skis, but everything these folks make is pure quality, and engineered right. I have no doubt these will become the gold standard for wheel skis.

Congratulations to Wes and company for getting this done, and looking forward to the other make/model approvals.

MTV

Gold standard? I don't know. If Rosti skis were more available I think those would be the gold standard. Until then I prefer the ground clearance of AirGlides but the consistent CG of FliLites. It looks to me like Airglas has reinvented FliLites in plastic but with a fixed tail wheel. I wish this announcement came a day earlier. I'd have weighed a FliLite 3000 for comparison. In any event competition in the market can only benefit end users. Good for Airglas for sticking with Gary's project.

FliLite install 2009 (aka this year's goat rope). Push-back misery awaits. There's not enough ground clearance when the skis are in the up position. When the ground is mushy or rutted the ski clearance above the dirt sometimes isn't adequate. Mushy spring conditions are the worst.

ski_install_12-6-09.jpg

SB

I am In the process of installing a set of the GLH-3000 for a friend. We are debating on a location for the pump. I'll give you feed back on the performance.

Electric pump? Manual option? Remote reservoir? I've never paid any attention to the 4000s so I have no idea.

SB

I inquired about the price. The skis are $12,900 and a pump, if one isn't already in the plane from an earlier system, is $1200.

They are designed for use with 8.5" tires, 3" gear and attachment ears need to be welded to the gear and an axle stub installed - identical to those required with the LW2500 skis.

mvivion said:
That's GREAT news!! I've never flown a set of Landes retractable wheel skis, but everything these folks make is pure quality, and engineered right. I have no doubt these will become the gold standard for wheel skis.

Congratulations to Wes and company for getting this done, and looking forward to the other make/model approvals.

MTV[/quote

Since about March, Wes no longer owns Airglass. Sold it to the "son of Northrim Bank". Chris is still around.

Crash

Not trying to start anything, but I've heard even straight Airglass skis are not very good performance-wise.

If so, how bad would their penetration skis be?

I only know Fli-lite 3000s work well on 12s and 18s.

STMAWR14,

Airglas straight skis are GREAT skis. Their penetration skis are, well, penetration skis.....

Frankly, it's pretty near impossible to make a penetration ski that will come close to the performance of straight skis, and generally the same is true of retractable wheel skis.

These are retractable wheel skis, and the two big issues with most of that breed are size of the bottoms and weight (okay, cost is probably bigger than both those together, but...)

These skis, if they are like the 4000's are thermoplastic, and light as skis go.

Landes builds good stuff, and their straight skis are as good as they come in my opinion.

Crash, thanks for the update on Wes. I wondered when he'd be bowing out of the business. What a loss to aviation when Gary passed.

Anyway, glad theyre still in business, and I hope they maintain the quality.

MTV

Any reports on these skis yet? When I talked to Airglas in December it sounded like they'd have some of these out soon.

Any update from the North country on the Landes 3000 hyd ski? Anyone use them last year?

Thanks

Jim

The hydraulic ram on the current design for the 3000s is offset to the side of the ski so it can go to the side of the tire/wheel. There was talk about using this same design on the 4000s to allow the plate to fully close off the wheel opening. However there have been some difficulties with the offset ram on the 3000s. Don't know the specifics. Had held off on plunking down the cash for the 4000s thinking there was going to be an upgrade, but don't know now.

I spoke with Landes today, who refered me to Cliff at Seaplanes North for answers to questions, who seems like a great guy. 3000s are STC approved on PA-18, on Husky with cub gear STC(havent heard of that one)
and approval is just around the corner for Husky on factory gear. They are working on the spring gear planes as well, but didnt think there is any chance for C 170 or Scout set ups until next season. In fact it sounded like if you dont have your hands on a set now, the pickings will be slim. They have 30 sets of Heli skis to do for the military ahead of them right now. Todays price 12,900 for ski package/fittings and 1200 for electric pump. Matt, I didnt see your post until tonight, or would have asked about alleged design issue. He said cub set ups were working well on limited numbers in field last year.

Jim

Any one out there have a pair of these that would provide a report on why the rest of us need a pair?

Jerry

They're hydraulics. What's not to love? Except that darn little tail wheel, but no hydraulic ski is perfect. I'd like to know what the retracted ground clearance is is any potential pireppers would include that.

Did the latest Rosti ski problems get resolved? Some carbon fiber part was breaking as I recall? Those still look like the dream ski to me. Did they get FAA approval for use on Cubs?

SB

StewartB said:
They're hydraulics. What's not to love? Except that darn little tail wheel, but no hydraulic ski is perfect. I'd like to know what the retracted ground clearance is is any potential pireppers would include that.SB

I have a set of hydraulics that I don't love on my Maule. My question concerns performance difference between the 2500 straight ski and this model since it is a 3000. I know the pat answer is that hydraulics are a compromise but I'm wondering if anyone can talk (not speculate) accurately about the degree of compromise if any. The ground clearance is question I also have.

Jerry

StewartB said:
Some carbon fiber part was breaking as I recall? SB

No, it was a "rod-end" or "Heim joint" breaking.

I have heard nothing more about it.

Actually just made a call. They developed a fix for the rod-end issue.

As far as the Airglas ski, it's looks very nice to me. Yet, the obvious potential for the ski-tailwheel to throw gravel is a concern. Otherwise, a beautifully-executed design.

DAVE

SB - I have Fluidyne 3000 on the Maule. It's is a huge compromise over say the Landes 3000 on a Maule. It funtions nice from a hydraulic stand point just does not hold the plane up on anything but semi-firm snow. Wish I would have went with the kind you have on your -12.

Talking cubs now - This new landes looks like it could rival the 2500 most of us are using. Dave - I'm surprised with all your connections you aren't giving a second hand report from first hand experience.

There has got to be someone out there.

Jerry

I can see that offset cylinder being a real issue.. a bit of ice on the plate and it cocks/jams. Why I push mine dead center... I also deploy and retract my tailwheel based on plate position.

It still looks like a great, light ski though !

I know of one fellow running the new 3000 skis on his cub. He really likes them, so I asked if his 3000 straight skis were for sale.....he said "NO".

That is my first hand understanding of second-hand knowledge.

Mike

Any new updates on the Airglass? Its been awhile since someone posted on this and I'd like to know how they are working out. Thanks.

Bumping this thread. Anyone out there with a pirep? Do the rams allow the ski to be cycled up and down when on the ground?

Back