• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FAA medicals and high blood pressure

OVEREASYGUY

SPONSOR
New Gloucester, Maine
I've been on high blood pressure medication for 20 years now. 6 months ago I began reading about how Resveratrol (the stuff in red win) makes mice live 30% longer. They say it does all kinds of good things - including helps with leukemia and other forms of cancer. But you have to take it in pill form to get the needed dosage. The two pills i take each night have the equivalent of Resveratrol you would get in 500 bottles of win.
for 6 months I've taken two of these pills each night along with 3 fish oil pills and a vitamin C pill. I had a physical recently and my blood pressure was low - so the doctor said stop the medication and see what happens. I'm now off the blood pressure medication a week and tonight me blood pressure was 117 over 72 - which is great! Maybe I'm onto something here.

if you think you might fail an FAA medical due to high blood pressure - try my routine. I'd be very curious to see what happens with someone else who is on blood pressure medication.

Ok now you guys who like to bash Cliff can go at it. Maybe that this has nothing to do with flying etc - I'm sure you will think of something!! See if you can make my blood pressure go up!

Have a good night - oh and I get my resveratrol from GNC - I suspect they are selling the real thing. There is a good youtube clip of a 60 minutes story on this stuff.

Cliff in Maine

OVEREASYGUY said:
.....The two pills i take each night have the equivalent of Resveratrol you would get in 500 bottles of win.
for 6 months I've taken two of these pills each night along with 3 fish oil pills and a vitamin C pill. I had a physical recently and my blood pressure was low - so the doctor said stop the medication and see what happens. I'm now off the blood pressure medication a week and tonight me blood pressure was 117 over 72 - which is great! Maybe I'm onto something here. .........

So maybe it's the fish oil keeping your BP low?
What's the price on that Resveratrol stuff?
I have "high normal" BP (in the area of 140/85), not enough to DQ me but high enough to make me worry every 2 years at medical time. I wouldn't mind finding an off-the-shelf and/or (dare I say it) holistic or naturopathic way to lower the BP or at least keep it from going up any.

Eric

Cliff,

If I could get personal here - how is your overall health - physical condition, age bracket, family history of BP.

I am low 40's age, overweight by 20lbs, and have a family history, so I am on HCTZ - 12.5 mg granny dose. You would think that I was going to die tomorrow with what I had to go through to get my medical last year.

Your findings are very interesting. Congrats with the results.

After five years on blood pressure meds, I an off everything and off cholesterol meds also. secret? I got a new dog! Well, not just the dog but I decided that a young Alaskan Malamute must be walked. So, every morning and every evening we walk. And I mean EVERY day. After walking over 1000 miles in the past year, fish oil twice a day (one capsule for each dog in the morning and evening and two for me each time also) and I am down 50 lbs and off everything. I still need to loose more weight but all eating habits have changed along with the walking. My regular doctor did my normal yearly physical than the next day the same doctor did my FAA medical. This way, my insurance paid for tests needed for the FAA also. The doctor simply stated that I was no longer on any medication as pressure was being controlled by diet and exercise resulting in the weight loss. The only problem with this is my dog is such a NAG! She will not let me say no regardless of weather, or anything else; we walk! Also, make sure if you are taking the same fish oil as your dogs that you don't put the heart worm or other dog meds on the same shelf as the fish oil. :eek:

Marty

Good for you, Marty. My late father-in-law, a distinguished surgeon and professor of clinical surgery, told me nearly 60 years ago that fat will kill you faster than a bullet.

Marty57 said:
Also, make sure if you are taking the same fish oil as your dogs that you don't put the heart worm or other dog meds on the same shelf as the fish oil. :eek:

Marty

Marty, to funny, when I got married, my mother- in- law volunteered some advice, she said " don't keep the Ben Gay and the KY jelly on the same nightstand " :-?

Glenn

cubdriver2 said:
Marty57 said:
Also, make sure if you are taking the same fish oil as your dogs that you don't put the heart worm or other dog meds on the same shelf as the fish oil. :eek:

Marty

Marty, to funny, when I got married, my mother- in- law volunteered some advice, she said " don't keep the Ben Gay and the KY jelly on the same nightstand " :-?

Glenn

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't eat anything with a face! Guaranteed to fix your heart
Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, by Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr. MD.

Tim

OK, there is anecdotal evidence that red wine may prevent heart disease, but it is not proven in a prospective randomized study that resveratrol prevents heart disease.
It is proven that obesity contributes to heart disease, that it contributes to hypertension, that it contributes to dyslipidemias...and that these conditions make up the so-called "metabolic syndrome". The most common problem the aviatiors have when I perform flight physicals is hypertension, and for the most part this is accompanied by obesity. The FAA is concerned because hypertension is associated with sudden death, and the administrators at the FAA don't want to have their name on something that was predicted to be a problem.

Hypertension has a definite genetic diathesis, as do dyslipidemias. So if you have the genetic predisposition, you have a problem. However, if you have no genetic predisposition it makes sense that minimizing factors which might contribute to hypertension would help...like keeping your weight down (body mass index <30, preferably <25>30) you need to lose weight (or gain height:) and consider taking this resveratrol stuff till you get healthy.

...and don't keep Ben Gay in the same cabinet with KY Jelly:)

rsc

OK, there is anecdotal evidence that red wine may prevent heart disease, but it is not proven in a prospective randomized study that resveratrol prevents heart disease.
It is proven that obesity contributes to heart disease, that it contributes to hypertension, that it contributes to dyslipidemias...and that these conditions make up the so-called "metabolic syndrome". The most common problem the aviatiors have when I perform flight physicals is hypertension, and for the most part this is accompanied by obesity. The FAA is concerned because hypertension is associated with sudden death, and the administrators at the FAA don't want to have their name on something that was predicted to be a problem.

Hypertension has a definite genetic diathesis, as do dyslipidemias. So if you have the genetic predisposition, you have a problem. However, if you have no genetic predisposition it makes sense that minimizing factors which might contribute to hypertension would help...like keeping your weight down (body mass index <30, preferably <25>30) you need to lose weight (or gain height:) and consider taking this resveratrol stuff till you get healthy.

...and don't keep Ben Gay in the same cabinet with KY Jelly:)

rsc

benflyn said:
Hotrod

I wouldn't mind finding an off-the-shelf and/or (dare I say it) holistic or naturopathic way to lower the BP or at least keep it from going up any.

Link
http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/blood_pressure.html

1 to 2 Tablespoons of APPLE CIDER VINEGAR WITH MOTHER in a glass of water 2 to 3 times daily.

holly cr4p!!

after first day of this apple cider vinegar...... I went from 165/105 to 132/88 3 times checking... then late night of 106/68 !!!! not sure if my toes will fall of and my left arm will rot away but... wow!! those are way lower than my consistent 150+/100+ numbers......

taste like drinking battery acid..... but hmmmmmmm.....

steves going to need to add a health & witchcraft section soon.....

BTW what the heck is mother???

Mike,,

LMAO,,, I thought the same thing,,,, what the heck is mother?

SO I looked it up and it seems to be the unfiltered squeezed out apple stuff,,, kinda like backwash floaties... :lol: supposed to have the best "medicine" value..

I guess you could filter it through your teeth... what made it through you could drink... if is sticks,,, chew it up.... :lol:

SteveE said:
Mike,,

LMAO,,, I thought the same thing,,,, what the heck is mother?

SO I looked it up and it seems to be the unfiltered squeezed out apple stuff,,, kinda like backwash floaties... :lol: supposed to have the best "medicine" value..

I guess you could filter it through your teeth... what made it through you could drink... if is sticks,,, chew it up.... :lol:

ewww....
"Mother of vinegar" is a term used to refer to the mass of scum that forms on top of cider when alcohol turns into vinegar, or to the cloudy substance that sometimes develops in stored vinegar. It is actually bacteria and yeast cells that have died.

So much for this being a bashing discussion, it is something we all do or will need!

Take a look at wild blue berries and wild blue huckleberries and their benefits.

Makes me want to go pick some more!

Last weekend I started a regime of taking apple cider vinegar twice a day: 2 tablespoons full in an 8 oz glass of water. Foul tasting stuff! Added some lime juice to cover the taste, & reduced the water by about half to make it just that much less to choke down. I take the other half of the water as a chaser. Thinking about trying it straight, with salt & lime like a tequila shooter. :roll:
Gonna give this routine a week before I check my BP. As bad as it tastes, I sure hope it's good for me.

Eric

hotrod150 said:
Last weekend I started a regime of taking apple cider vinegar twice a day: 2 tablespoons full in an 8 oz glass of water. Foul tasting stuff! Added some lime juice to cover the taste, & reduced the water by about half to make it just that much less to choke down. I take the other half of the water as a chaser. Thinking about trying it straight, with salt & lime like a tequila shooter. :roll:
Gonna give this routine a week before I check my BP. As bad as it tastes, I sure hope it's good for me.

Eric

its very aromatic(?) keep it away from face, and breath in, then move in and drink it... 1000 times more bearable.....

Apple cider vinegar and honey is the standard remedy...look up a book called "Vermont Folk Medicine" by a Dr. Jarvis....the vinegar gives you a big shot of potassium, which causes you to dump water from your blood, this immediately lowers your blood pressure. It's used for 'arthritis', which often means 'reactive arthritis' caused by a urinary tract infection. The acidity of the vinegar (acetic acid) kills all the bacteria in your urinary tract, and the 'arthritis' goes away.(cranberry juice doesn't cut it) Good for when you run out of colloidal silver. I like to take a big toke of vinegar when I eat something that tastes a little 'off' at the picnic...the acetic acid kills the bugs that are about to give you food poisoning... :eek:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Half a glass of water, couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and honey to taste.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Long term remedy, though? I don't remember reading any convincing evidence...

I'm now off the blood pressure medication a week and tonight me blood pressure was 117 over 72 - which is great! Maybe I'm onto something here.

Cliff,

A week isn't long enough. The effects of blood pressure medications could last another 6-8 weeks. Post us a week's worth of X6 daily BP measurements in three months and we can decide then.

I'm a primary care physician when I'm not cub-flying.

Best,

David

Blueberries, raspberries, and walnuts....contains ellagic tannins, which are converted in your gut to ellagic acid. The ellagic acid takes a cancer cell, at least a p53 gene cancer, (not so good on sarcomas) and converts it back to a normal cell, reactivating the mitochondria and causing the apoptosis process(cellular suicide) to be enabled. So, only infected cells die....DCA(DiChloroAcetate)(a metabolic drug) does basically the same thing, but is not approved for cancer....one of the oldest nutritional studies ever done was the discovery that people who "snack on nuts" have 1/7 the cancer of those who don't....
just about every dark or red berry has a fair amount. :-?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And boy, do they taste good....

Not a doctor, not a mechanic....do your own research...

I think I shall step outside and pick some berries to add to my breakfast today, I don't even need shoes! :lol:

New recipe for apple cider vinegar treatment: 2 tblspns in a shotglass (about half full), a squirt of lime juice, top off with water, swirl it then drink 'er down without breathing the fumes, and chase with a glass of water. Not nearly as repugnant this way as a full glass of water with ACV in it.
I'm headed to the BP machine at the grocery store today to see what about 6 days of drinking this elixir has done for me.

Eric

Back