Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adhesive??

Post Thanks / Like

Adhesive??

Greetings,
    I'm in the process of gluing fabric to my interior panels. It is basically upholstery fabric to match my seats. I'm using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. I did my headliner and am not convinced it is going to hold. All the aluminum was cleaned thoroughly. It sticks some and looks great, but don't want to tear it all apart in a year cause the center of a panel is loose. Any suggestions on a better glue or a tip that you all have had good luck with on the interior fabric?

Thanks,
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Good old brush on weldwood lacquer based contact cement. I use it alot for most everything. thinning it helps and letting it dry when it soaks in also helps. thy a test patch and let dry over night before you test it . It will hold just fine. I wouldn't use an aerosol based product for panels. Now, you can shoot contact cement when thinned but for what you are doing stay with brushing.also scuff where you are gluing.

Post Thanks / Like
    3m fastbond 10 linoleum floor adhesive, follow the directions it's very very sticky.

Post Thanks / Like
    3M 1300L contact cement

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot speak to the specifics above, but be careful with contact cements. They are your solution, but there are different grades, especially in the last several decades. A tube of Barg's might do the trick, or visit your local auto top shop and get some real upholstery cement. Looks the same as Weldwood or DAP, but according to the experts it is designed to work quite a bit better.

I used Barg's to attach leather to some C-180 interior plastic, and five years later nothing has peeled.

Post Thanks / Like
    3M makes a specific glue for upholstery that works very well. I do not believe super 77 is recommended for upholstery. Most Auto paint supply houses carry the right flavor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used the 3M 77 on RC gliders but it doesn't hold well as temps increase. With the interior temps on a hot day here in the desert up around, what 140+ degrees you need to use a glue specifically designed around that temp range. Check the mfg spec sheet for operating ranges for their product. Seems like anything designed for autos would meet those temp ranges just fine.
    Marty 57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Recent personal experience says 3M # 77 will dissolve in the slightest presence of avgas. It will hold much better when hot if you use 3M Adhesive Primer but still not much good for upholstery.

There are many good "high solids" contact adhesives and it is just about as good as it gets when you apply with an old pressure pot type spray gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    The stuff Airtex sells with their headliners etc. seemed to work great. I believe it was ten bucks a can, plus it has a brush attached to the lid.