• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

extended baggage for PA-11?

AviatorPA11

Fallbrook, CA
Hi guys, I was looking at Atlee Dodge website. Saw extended baggage for -18, anybody know where I can find for the -11? Thanks

we have the Atlee Dodge STC for the PA-18 baggage in our PA-11(50 lb limit and lots of room ) did you want to go bigger than that?

ON the A.L.D STC do they lay the bellcrank on its side, or do you have to put the Pa18 style control system in?

Glenn

So, the PA-18 baggage is legal in the -11? I was assuming that you had to keep it to 20 lbs, 50 lbs seems like alot! I suppose a new W&B would have to be done also right? I was wondering about the bell crank also?

AviatorPA11 said:
Hi guys, I was looking at Atlee Dodge website. Saw extended baggage for -18, anybody know where I can find for the -11? Thanks

I would think the pa-18 elevator system and extending the baggage down would make the most sense.

Tim

When mine was done the bellcrank was removed and a front return pulley was installed for the elevator cable, like on a SC, but some have been done by laying the bellcrank on its side, horizontal to the floor, so the stick assembly will stay stock Pa11, I think with the front pulley the stick is not as smooth as it was before when stock. Mine is limited to 20lb, I've had 50lb or more in it but don't solo from the rear seat with more then 20lb. IMHO

Glenn
PS if I did it today, I would lay the bellcrank on its side, its less work.

I put in an extended baggage in my J3 when we did the rebuild. Didn't go al the way to the floor, so left the controls as they were. Put in a frame with wood floor and a cub crafters side door. Kept it at 20 lbs. Put in a bulkhead from the floor of the baggage at the rear up to the top of the fuselage with an 8" X 8" X 48" fishing rod tube with door into the fuselage. The floor level of the baggage is just below the bottom of the side access door. Works out good. Did it with field approvals.

Somebody did that to the J3 we bought last week. Still limited to 20 lbs, but get this: An aircraft that came out of the factory at roughly 715# now tips the scales empty at 805#. Two 180 lb pilots and 7 gallons puts you at gross. Sure you want to add all that extra weight?

If you do, be sure and compute your empty weight. Do not go near a scale.

In the Atlee Dodge STC it does have a note"This modification may not be made unless the PA-18 elevator control system is installed. Dwg. reference is12446" I too like the feel of the bellcrank of the PA-11 and not the pulley set up like on a PA-18,so when ours was installed the depth was reduced slightly and the bellcrank left in place.Don't tell a soul

Ken Kennedy said:
In the Atlee Dodge STC it does have a note"This modification may not be made unless the PA-18 elevator control system is installed. Dwg. reference is12446" I too like the feel of the bellcrank of the PA-11 and not the pulley set up like on a PA-18,so when ours was installed the depth was reduced slightly and the bellcrank left in place.Don't tell a soul

I believe this is how my wife's 11 is set up. You can still cram lots of junk back there, probably too much junk.

So can this mod be easily done with fabric still on? I have the original storage "box" with wooden lid. I also have fishing pole tube installed. Is this going to be a problem? The way I am thinking is that, if I shorten the depth of the baggage to clear the bell crank, there isnt a whole lot of room between the bottom of the fishing pole tube and the bottom of the baggage floor? Maybe I need to go and look and measure it.

AviatorPA11 said:
So can this mod be easily done with fabric still on? I have the original storage "box" with wooden lid. I also have fishing pole tube installed. Is this going to be a problem? The way I am thinking is that, if I shorten the depth of the baggage to clear the bell crank, there isnt a whole lot of room between the bottom of the fishing pole tube and the bottom of the baggage floor? Maybe I need to go and look and measure it.

This cub has original fabric and extended baggage, so maybe???
http://cubcrafters.com/sales/details.aspx?id=56

Back