Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Long lost book with a flying story....

Post Thanks / Like

Long lost book with a flying story....

When I was a wee lad growing up in the highlands me Grandmums gave me a book that contained several adventure stories for boys. My guess is it was written in the late 40s or 50s.

One of the stories was about a young man who lived on a farm and wanted to be a pilot. He enters some sort of contest to become a pilot and doesn't hear anything back. One day a guy lands a plane on the farm with mechanical problems. The young man helps him out and it turns out the man was there to deliver a flying scholarship to him....

Another one of the stories was about a canoe trip in the wild where one of the characters brings an outboard motor along. One of the other guys on the trip makes fun of him unitl he hurts his arm and the motor saves them--but not until the guy who hurt his arm also saves the day when the motor fails to start due to water in the gas and he suggests they strain the gas through chamois.....

Unfortunately, the book went missing when I was still quite small and I cannot remember the title. Does anyone out there in flying land remember those stories and the book?
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bft-int.com/aviation.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly Steve and Kirby I'd never come back incognito as ------------ jrussell
    Never mind, its not worth it !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Long lost book with a flying story....

Quote Originally Posted by jrussell
    .....Another one of the stories was about a canoe trip in the wild where one of the characters brings an outboard motor along. One of the other guys on the trip makes fun of him unitl he hurts his arm and the motor saves them--but not until the guy who hurt his arm also saves the day when the motor fails to start due to water in the gas and he suggests they strain the gas through chamois.....
    I musta read the same book-- I remember the gas-thru-the-chamois trick to get the outboard running, but I don't remember the flying story. And I sure don't recall the name of the book.
    I do remember reading a series of books about The Three Investigators, a trio of juvenile sleuths that solved mysteries while riding around in a chaufferred limo that was the prize in a contest.
    Do they still put out this sort of wholesome, entertaining books for kids? Or is everything "kill-the-zombies" video games these days?

Eric
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Long lost book with a flying story....

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod150
    I do remember reading a series of books about The Three Investigators, a trio of juvenile sleuths that solved mysteries while riding around in a chaufferred limo that was the prize in a contest.

Eric
    Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators. Led by Jupiter Jones with the headquarters in the junk yard?

John Scott
    While I respect the folks that use Cubs to make a living, my uses are for recreation and leisure - AND I'M NOT ASHAMED!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup.
    Forgot about the secret HQ in the junkyard. Not a bad idea ........
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod150
    Yup.
    Forgot about the secret HQ in the junkyard. Not a bad idea ........
    I read every one of those books. Terrific stories and great plots--who can forget the flaming footprints?!?

That and the Bertrand Brinley "Mad Scientist" books:

http://www.madscientistsclub.com/books.html

Which explains a lot about my childhood....
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bft-int.com/aviation.html

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was about 8 or 10, my dad gave me a couple of his childhood books to read, 'The Aeroplane Boys' by John Luther Langworthy. There were 5 of these books, published between about 1912 to 1915 or thereabouts, and I remember the ones I read as being quite good (I think I read 3 of them, but it has been over half a century since I did so, so I'm no longer sure about the number). I think the series was also called 'The Bird Boys'. Anyway, they were well worth the reading, though what I remember of the aerodynamics descriptions sounds a bit odd by today's standards.
    JimC

Post Thanks / Like
    Update
    I just googled Langworthy, and 3 of the books are available free on-line, as pdf's.
    JimC

Post Thanks / Like
    Clyde bought me a book over twenty years ago about J-3 Cubs on an adventure from the Cubs perspective I can not remember the name of it and of course I lost it when the log cabin was struck by lightning. Does anybody know the name of the book so I can get it for my great-nephew? Would appreciate the information if any body remembers. Thanks, Susie
    Susie's PA-11 N11S, Clyde's J-3 NC25806, our Fairchild F24R46 N81242...
    Likes OldCuby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Thank you Glenn you are right "Flight of passage" is a very good read. This morning when I was out gathering snails off the plants I remembered the title of the book Clyde got me was "Cubs on the Loose" I will check with amazon. Thanks for your help. Susie
    Susie's PA-11 N11S, Clyde's J-3 NC25806, our Fairchild F24R46 N81242...
    Likes FdxLou, Snert liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I recall the story about the young man and the airplane repair but not all the details. I would have read that about 1952.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Do they still put out this sort of wholesome, entertaining books for overage-kids? Or is everything "kill-the-Texicans" video games these days?

Eric
    I think the above refers to: "Adventures in Adult Babysitting- Kirby's penance helping Uncle Eaton".
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    I stay about one step ahead of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    I stay about one step ahead of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thats the way they make you walk just before they put you in the paddy wagon

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"