• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Transporting Uncovered Wings

Grant said:
What is the best way to transport uncovered wings on an SUV.

Grant-

I think if you are going to have any chance of transporting them through any salt I would rent a box truck.

You might be able to pay Dakota cub to pick them up (I think they deliver their wings).

Tim

Grant: go to a yacht yard and see if you can buy the shrink wrap and borrow their propane torch for shrinking the stuff. We were thinking of doing this to pick up our Smith kit in Canada on our 5th wheel trailer in the winter. Than we were able to borrow a big enclosed trailer. Are you getting back into the Cub Building Business? All the best, Jerry

Thats a great idea Jerry.....These are not my wings, I'm just helping load them up.

marinelubricants said:
Grant: go to a yacht yard and see if you can buy the shrink wrap and borrow their propane torch for shrinking the stuff. We were thinking of doing this to pick up our Smith kit in Canada on our 5th wheel trailer in the winter. Than we were able to borrow a big enclosed trailer. Are you getting back into the Cub Building Business? All the best, Jerry

Thats a good idea but I would be leary of the shrink bending stuff??

Another idea, wrap them in cheap tarps from Harbor Freight aircraft supply. Lots of duct tape too.

Easier to wait until it is dry. I have had no trouble transporting bare wings. Support them with 2x4s at the butt rib and at the lift strut attach points. Use plenty of carriage bolts, and check them now and then as you go.

Grant,

I cut notches in some 2 x 4's and sandwiched the spars and bolted the 2 x 4's together. Worked well.

Lance

Lance's idea is sound.

But go look at a sailplane trailer, e.g., a Schweizer for open. It'll be much like Lance described.

Or get some nasty Thrift Store bedsprings, sandwich the lot, lash down with some rachetstraps from the same Chinastore (Harbour Freight....), recheckyour load regualarly...

Thanks. cubscout

Last May I bought a set of assembled wings after the Alaska Airman's Trade Show. A friend helped notch some 2X6s to fit the boat rack on top of my camper shell. We removed the leading edge metal just outboard of the tank bay and behind the landing light to allow clamping the spars between the 2X6s. There were spacer blocks with all thread, fender washers and nuts to clamp the spars and keep them from contacting the boat rack on the bottom and more spacers to keep the wings apart. Ratchet straps held everything to the boat rack. I drove from Anchorage to Juneau via Fairbanks with no problems of any kind. When I unloaded the wings in Juneau there were some bug splatters to remove.

DSCF0648.JPG

Three 2x4s per wing. Two sandwich the spars inboard of the butt rib, using very long carriage bolts. The third is attached to the spar attach points using the original bolts, plus a pair of eye bolts to draw the 2x4 up against the steel attach fittings. Bulletproof, so long as the bolts stay tight. Lash or bolt the 2x4s to the truck or trailer firmly. Interstate speed limits are OK, and I have done transcontinentals this way.

I just brought a set home to Texas from Nebraska in a covered Cattle Trailer. Put 2/6's through the sides and bunged the wings to the 2/6's. Still have room for the rest of the plane in the trailer. Works great.

Back