• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aerothane vs Ranthane

Skip

Savannah Ga
Which paint do you guys like the best. I have used Aerothane a lot but I am considering Ranthane this time around on my 12

I like poly-tone, because of the ease of fixing, and I don't really care for the shinny cessna look. Also, it is very easy to work with. just my 2 cts. :lol:

If I were going for a classic look I would use poly tone but I really like the gloss of urethanes. I have done 3 planes in Aerothane but I am really looking hard at Ranthane. I have heard that polyfiber bought Randolph out just to get ranthane

I prefer Ranthane because it is easier to shoot with better results. I asked Poly-fiber which was better. They couldn't answer my question so I told them my experience. Then they told me they had far fewer problems with Ranthane over Aerothane if they shot 10 test panels. They couldn't tell me any advantage of one over the other so I have been using the Ranthane.

I found that switching from automotive type urathanes to aircraft urathanes took a little practice. Aerothane is a much thinner paint when reduced per instructions as compared with Sherwin Williams aircraft paint,Imron, Pratt and Lamberts aircraft urathanes. Becuase its thinner shooting it requires a little more patients between coats as well has how much is layed up first pass. Using the right speed reducer also has a big influence on how the paint flows in temperature and humity. I followed the factory directions and have had near perfect results once I understood the viscosity. Because it is thinner it lays down to glass with a richer look than that of base/clear paints. I've never shot Ranthane and am curious to know from those who have what kind of problems they had with Aerothane and what it could be attributed to. I've been using throughout my project and like it.

Aerothane used to be almost like water, I shot Aerothane on my Stinson in the mid 80`s and it was like shooting water I ended up with about 8 coats to get it on and uniform but like I said it was as thin as water. I shot Aerothane on my champ about 5 years ago and it was a little better. I talked to Norm from polyfiber and he said they had added more solids to it. Aerothane is nothing like car paint at all. I just shot my wife`s 72 vette with ppg and 2 coats of base and 3 of clear and it looks like glass. I always use the slowest reducer I can get by with to get a good flowout. I was just wondering how Ranthane was I have heard it has a little more solids than Aerothane and would look a lot better.

Paints

I have been spraying them all for years (Aerothane, Randthane, and Superflite). They all have different characteristics but all spay well with the right equipment and correct thinning. I think the key to doing any of them well is correct thinning for the temperature and the spray equipment. Randthane and Superflite are easier to spray in that they contain higher solids quantities,but it is still about thinning and that is trial and error until you get what works for you. I do mostly aerothane because of STC requirement and will say that it is more difficult to do consistently until you learn how to spray it,but I like the end result and so do the people I have done it for. With aerothane you have to wait a bit between coats to allow it to tack. I wait as much as an hour sometimes depending on how it acts. Don't hurry it and you will get the best results. It can be sprayed up,down, and sideways with no problem if you get it right. I'm proud of the fact that some of the improvements in the latest poly fiber manual are from my experience and input,including waiting time and thinner requirements. Practice and good luck, Reid

Re: Paints

supercrow said:
I have been spraying them all for years (Aerothane, Randthane, and Superflite). They all have different characteristics but all spay well with the right equipment and correct thinning. I think the key to doing any of them well is correct thinning for the temperature and the spray equipment. Randthane and Superflite are easier to spray in that they contain higher solids quantities,but it is still about thinning and that is trial and error until you get what works for you. I do mostly aerothane because of STC requirement and will say that it is more difficult to do consistently until you learn how to spray it,but I like the end result and so do the people I have done it for. With aerothane you have to wait a bit between coats to allow it to tack. I wait as much as an hour sometimes depending on how it acts. Don't hurry it and you will get the best results. It can be sprayed up,down, and sideways with no problem if you get it right. I'm proud of the fact that some of the improvements in the latest poly fiber manual are from my experience and input,including waiting time and thinner requirements. Practice and good luck, Reid
Welcome to the site reid. Glad to have you around here finally. For those of you who dont know supercrow(reid) , he does some of the finest cub rebuilds around. He is a darn good pilot as well.

Back