Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: bushcuby SP or wag aero sport trainer

Post Thanks / Like

bushcuby SP or wag aero sport trainer

Have to say Hello first, and second Thanks, and lastly if I do this (IF). It is not your fault, my brother and I have been talking cubs for years. I don't really have the experience to have my own opinion, but damn I still do. I am thinking of getting a tubing kit, plans, and a wing kit (Flaps?). An IO-240B or IO-233, carbon prop, two 13 gallon wing tanks (Headerless). Built for LSP category. So the questions would be, Whose wing kit? Which engine? Prop? Grove or Cleavland wheel/brakes? Whose plans? Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    Wood wings sure are inexpensive and easy to build. I'm using wood Wag Aero 2 +2 wings with a flap conversion on my project. Starting from the beginning it will probably take 5 years to complete. Have you considered a Legend kit or purchasing a tacked fuse from Wag Aero.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't know what kit you should buy, but there is a pretty nice looking Wag-Aero Super cubby, on Alaska craigslist, in the recreation section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember, tools,postage,phone,ups,fedex,fuel even at these grossly cheap prices is going to cost you from 7-10 grand. But every one should have a hobby. If you get real serious on doing this theres a ton of great people that will chime in with excellant advise here. But everyones first question is do you know what your going to get into, beings the majority dosent know you. doug

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a good article in the new January issue of KIT PLANES on the Wag CUBy starting on page nine (9); there is a picture of it on the cover. After reading the article I would go with the Texas Sport from Legend Cubs. ...Clyde Davis
    Susie's PA-11 N11S, Clyde's J-3 NC25806, our Fairchild F24R46 N81242...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Wood spars

Thanks Fortysix12, would the wood wings be lighter than the aluminum wings? I like the traditional aspect. Definitely provides an excuse to buy more tools. Clyde are you saying the Jibiru is a better way to go than a IO-240 continental? Dave sure is a nice plane on Craigslist, but I won't get to buy more tools. I don't think that she has a gross weight of 1320 though. I like the idea of owner maintenance, on home built in the Light Sport category. Thanks guys Ill keep checking back. Schooner

Post Thanks / Like
    A standard wood spar J3 is lighter than a metal spar J3. If you want to build with wood spars consider the fact that aircraft grade wood spars are very expensive these days. Don't build to save money, you won't. Build because you enjoy building. Right now with the economy in the toilet there are some nice toys for sale cheap. The cub listed above in the craig's list add is an example, you could not build that airplane with those unique features for that kind of money.