• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Exhaust for 180 HP Cub

ron cope

I was wondering what Wayne Mackey was using on his.
I have a Std. Atley Dodge on my cub and it sure is killing my HP so I would like to change, but do not want to add any weight. Any suggestions.
thanks

Ron

If you want to save weight take a look at PPIs sutton exhaust. I have it on my 150 hp cub and am pleased with it.

Cub_Driver

Sutton Exhaust...

I also am using the Sutton exhaust on my 180 Smith Kit. Its lightweight, compact, easy to install, very well made, and fit like a glove. I'd buy another one.

Mike

I don't know the weight, but my old (2000) exhaust was a leaky mess and the Sutton cleaned it up really nice. I have been very happy with it, and the Suttons are great to work with in my opinion.

sj

steve said:
I don't know the weight, but my old (2000) exhaust was a leaky mess and the Sutton cleaned it up really nice. I have been very happy with it, and the Suttons are great to work with in my opinion.

sj

me too.

180 cub exhaust

Cub_Driver
I will check out the PPI Sutton exhaust and I have pictures of Turbine Cubs exhaust that they sell and it looks pretty good for being non restrictive. My Atley Dodge exhaust is very well made and works well but is very restrictive. I am told that Atley has a gutted muffler wit a 3" pipe. My muffler is very quiet. I am looking for an exhaust system that I can get the full HP out of the engine and I guess I don't ask the right questions. I am going to post on exhaust web site and see what exhaust he uses on his airplane.
ron cope

Custom aircraft dual exhaust is what I have for my project. Awesome!

http://www.customaircraft.com/

33251-1-1.jpg

Bugs, Thanks for the pictures of your exhaust. I like the looks of it, but do not understand the carb and cabin heat, where they hook up and if they have 2 heat muffs or not. My airplane engine is a wide body 360.

Turbine Cubs sent me a picture of their exhaust but can't send them on until I get permission It is very similar but has 2 heat muffs up front.

The pictures are very helpful to me because it is hard to visualize without a picture. I am going to go with one of these exhausts as soon as I can find out how the heats hook up. Thanks for all your help and time. roncope

Bugs, Thanks for the pictures of your exhaust. I like the looks of it, but do not understand the carb and cabin heat, where they hook up and if they have 2 heat muffs or not. My airplane engine is a wide body 360.

Turbine Cubs sent me a picture of their exhaust but can't send them on until I get permission It is very similar but has 2 heat muffs up front.

The pictures are very helpful to me because it is hard to visualize without a picture. I am going to go with one of these exhausts as soon as I can find out how the heats hook up. Thanks for all your help and time. roncope

After al this time I finly order a Vettermans exhuast and will install and will post photos if I can figer out how.

That's what I put on my 0320, and I picked up 200RPMs.
$940 plus another $95 for a second heat muff, the carb heat thing they sent was a joke.
I'm more than happy with the craftsmanship & install.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the Sutton breaths well enough for an O-375 at full song? I really like the Sutton that I have had for 500 hours and 1500 backfires on my 160 Cub. Still bulletproof, and like new despite the misbehavior with chopped throttle on landing causing backfires. I need a "forward" muffler installation for my O-375, and want a no fuss, breathing exhaust... Dual stacks look cool, but I will have to modify it to fit.....

Bob Bug66 has a photo of aVettermans on his site to look at also look at LEE'S.Ive look at 10 diffent exhustin the last two for me to finly by one

Thanks, I am checking out your suggestions, ron and Bugs,..... Sutton, Custom and Vettermans all would work...... Vettermans will be the easiest to cowl.......

I am pretty sure I have a Vettermans (it's a long story) and I am really struggling to get enough cabin heat from it. Everything else is great.

Bill

Bill;I talked to Clint at Vettermans @307-756-2788 about cabin heat and said to use two heat muff in series with the first muff haveing 3 stast hose outlets the in comeing from the rear baffel 2 to carb heat and 3 to muff #two or [leftside] with two stat hose outlets this being the (#1 in) #2 out going to cabin heat. You plug the spill air at the carb and all the spillis out the cabin heat unless you have carb heat on or cabin on. I hope this helps if not call Clint he said they made there exhuast right.
Rick Robbins is the guy that makes the muffs his #is303-423-7002.

You can exit your pipes either through the lower cowl vents or out the back, (haft'a bend the inside lips) just under the firewall. I did plan B without a prob, except you need to angle the ex.pipes inward a bit to leave clearance by the gascolator. (Where the hell did they come up w/that name?!)

Here is plan A, but I didn't like the sharp bend in the ball joint:
DSCN1966.JPG

Here's the plan B, (exit stage-aft) with the 8" heat muff. It's ample, but not excessive (heat).
DSCN1973.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1966.JPG
    DSCN1966.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 208
  • DSCN1973.JPG
    DSCN1973.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
Back