• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Covering, Stewart System

12Geezer,

My experience is limited to only one airplane with each... I can say that either is more user friendly than the "older" systems. The Stewarts system is probably a tad more user friendly and probably more so if you've never used any of the others. The glues are distinctly different than each other or the "older" stuff as well. I personally like using Airtech glue better, but as a whole so far I prefer the Stewarts system. I have no idea how either does in real long terms. My Airtech covered cub was trashed in a hail storm after just a couple years.

Lots of systems claim to be user friendly in terms of chemical or odor. I can honestly say that if your wife was blind (or exceptionally understanding) you could get away with covering a plane with Stewarts in your living room. Unless you put you head in the container the glue has no odor... Not a big deal for the big shops, but for a do - it - yourselfer it comes in handy...

Take care, Rob

Gordon, There is some good info on Air-Tech on this site. If you put water on the floor you end up with a lot less overspray on the floor.

Rob said:
Unless you put you head in the container the glue has no odor

That's good, but does no odor mean no harmful "stuff" in the air"?

Dunno, I'm just wondering. I did Stitts PolyTack, and didn't find the glue overwhelming. But... the rest of the PolyCoatings were very obviously BAD for ya. As in... can't breath without the pressure mask on.

Hi Nimpo,

Working with chemicals for a living had me wondering this very same thing. However the conclusion I came to is that things have to volatize to be "in the air" and being waterbourne makes the Stewarts system a lot less volatile. That's also why the overspray of the paint is still wet when it lands. Of course all of this is my opinion and could be very wrong, as could be the terminology... :oops: And of again all of this is directed towards the glue... the paint is in the air because we put it there, and you really don't want to do that indoors :eek:
I will point out that the Stewarts ships in regular mail, no hazmat... :angel: This makes reordering that last little bit you need yesterday really nice. And confirms that at least someone else thinks it's fairly safe.

Take care, Rob

Thank you Jason that is the answer i was hoping for. i like most am just a little nervous trying something new and our climate here is much like AK in the winter which is when my friend has his fabric get loose and i could not find anyone else in the area other then my one friend who had used it.
thanks again.

The poisons (Isocyanates) in Stewart Systems paint are encapsulated by the water that is used to reduce it to spraying viscosity. A respirator is used to keep the particulates out of your lungs. There is no need to use a fresh air breathing system with our products. It is the only Polyurethane paint that works this way, everything else is seriously poisonous.

Jason

Repairs?

My wings are finished through cross coats of ekofill. I would like to put on some additional tapes. Clean it off with MEK?

Thanks,

Dave

Just glue them down like you would on the bare fabric, wiping off the excess glue as normal and brush 2 coats of Eko-Fill over the top. You would never know that they were put on later. You can even just glue them down with Eko-Fill using the foam brush if you like.

Jason

scuff it, glue it, shrink it, paint it.

a 1" overlap is all that is required

We have a clear glue that is great for making small repairs using the pre-painted circles you cut out of the inspection grommets. Remember that our glue works a lot like contact cement (no wet adhesion) coat both sides, let tack up, press togeather.

Jason

Well here's a bummer -

Quoted from the Stewart Systems website:

"We No Longer Ship Within WA State
Posted: 9/18/2008
Due to the Washington Destination Based Sales Tax law, Effective October 1, 2008 Stewart Systems will no longer ship within the State of Washington.
All Washington State sales must be picked up in Cashmere WA at our facility.

Thank you for your business - we appreciate it very much."

Hmmm - - but apparently they don't appreciate local business enough to take care of in-state customers?

I was going to use Stewart Systems on my 12 and was planning to get started covering control surfaces soon, but I sure don't want to drive the several hours to Cashmere to pick up materials! And lessee, if there is something to add to the order later, another trip? Not gonna happen for this kid.

I'll look at other options now, unless they want to change their mind - but even then, this action suggests that customer service is not necessarily a high priority for the company.

Gordon, You might want to call Doug and Dan and see what this is about. I can assure you that they are very customer service oriented. If I was to bet it has to do with some State bureaucracy that has taken place. And if need be I will sell it to you from Texas and have it drop shipped from WA. :wink:

You're right Steve, there is a new law requiring businesses to charge sales tax based on the purchaser's address rather than the seller's address. It's a real pain, because in Washington a portion of the sales tax rate varies by locality. http://dor.wa.gov/Content/FindTaxesAndRates/RetailSalesTax/DestinationBased/MoreSST.aspx The law is intended to be a mechanism for collecting sales tax from Wa residents who purchase from out of state sellers, but it will be a BIG PAIN for retailers until Point of Sale software that integrates sales tax reporting catches up with the law. Furthermore, software that sophisticated is mighty darn expensive for a Ma & Pa business. I know that from experience; I owned and operated a retail business in Wa for a few years.

It would appear that Stewart Systems is simply rebelling against this relatively new law. I can sympathize, because it is a pain to look up the tax rate for every customer's address, then aggregate those taxes by municipality in the quarterly or monthly sales tax report to the state.

However, it is us buyers that are hurt by their rebellion, not the State. I realize that a strategy could be to generate a grass-roots outcry, but for me the result will not be to complain to the State, rather to simply purchase elsewhere. Any other retailer will face the same regulations and those who choose to comply will get the business from all of us Washington residents. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised to experience a hidden "Washington Surcharge", due to the BIG pain in the neck of complying with this onerous law.

Long and short - - Yes I'll call them when I'm ready for materials; and Steve, I may end up taking you up on your offer!

Jason,
What is the recommended clean-up for the Stewart system? Sounds like water clean-up means down the drain with the chemicals. Is that approved for waste water systems? Iso-cynates are bad stuff. With Poly Fiber I always save the clean-up reducers and bring them to the local recycling center. I'm not sure I would feel right dumping them down the drain.
Webfoot

"12 Geezer" you will have no problems getting products shipped to you in here in WA. Call me when you're ready.

"Sharp" and anyone else can get a hold of me at 206.930.2332 or jason@aerospek.com

I just got 10 DVD sets and will be shipping them out Monday to those that have been patiently waiting like "sharp, glaciercub, pilotski, kiwicubber, Hap, d dyer, and LDVS3.

Re: washing it down the sink...

Since the Iso-cynates are completely isolated by the distilled water used to reduce the paint to spraying viscosity they are no longer hazardous. That is why you don't need a fresh air system when spraying our paint. The glue and primer are water based and are not considered hazardous either. We are also testing a water-based paint gun cleaning solution. I like it so far, much nicer to use than lacquer thinner or MEK.

I'm always glad to answer questions so keep them coming.

Jason

There is no way I would paint any iso-cyanate(sp) catalyzed paint without a fresh air system.pak

jgerard said:
Since the Iso-cynates are completely isolated by the distilled water used to reduce the paint to spraying viscosity they are no longer hazardous.

Jason

That doesn't sound correct. Just because you add water to something does not mean you can pour it down the drain.

Tim

MSDS sheets should be readily available. Anybody that's using any unfamiliar paint or other chemical product should take the time to read the MSDS. It'll cut through the crap and tell you what you need to know.

Stewart

Steve Pierce would you be open to having this years seminar on the Stewart System?

I should have a Taylor Craft we can do surfaces on???
Thanks
John

IF there were a Stewart Systems seminar in the northeast, I'd attend. I have Champ wings to do this winter and getting some hands on instruction first would raise my comfort level. John, is there heat in your hangar yet?

Hap
Sunderland, Vermont
K1B8

I thought that I read somewhere that you can apply the chemicals with a paint roller. Is this true? including the final finish coat? Has anyone done this and had a successful outcome? I would think that it would be difficult to get a good finish in the corners. It would sure keep down the over spray mess.

Hi Hap,
Foaming going to happen in a week or two then we will have heat. You need to bring the Champ over and we can do the T Craft and your wings.
That is enough to have a seminar and get Jason over to the east. Plenty of room in the hangar. Skywagon8a would even come north for that.
J

The Kansas City Dawn Patrol rolled the paint on all of the Nieuport's they built. It can be done and has been done with good results, but I still prefer spraying for the best looking finnish.

One comment I hear from time to time from naysayers who MAY have looked at, or HEARD from someone else is that aircraft painted with AFS/Stewart Systems had a crappy finish. Well we all have seen plenty of crappy finishes from every covering/painting system and it has nothing to do with the products used.

Jason

jgerard said:
One comment I hear from time to time from naysayers who MAY have looked at, or HEARD from someone else is that aircraft painted with AFS/Stewart Systems had a crappy finish.........

I don't know, Jason, who you gonna believe-- my cousin's girlfriend's ex-boyfriend's dad's buddy, or your lying eyes? :roll:

Eric

Jason,
There was a guy that sent in a sample somewhere about 2000, and I can't think of his name to save me. He wanted to know if we liked the finish...it looked really nice! He had rolled and brushed the entire process... I was amazed!! I'm like you...I prefer to spray....but this guy really had a great looking finish, and it was as smooth as 90% of the sprayed finishes I've seen. It can be done...just not by me! :D
John

jgerard said:
Re: washing it down the sink...

Since the Iso-cynates are completely isolated by the distilled water used to reduce the paint to spraying viscosity they are no longer hazardous. That is why you don't need a fresh air system when spraying our paint. The glue and primer are water based and are not considered hazardous either. We are also testing a water-based paint gun cleaning solution. I like it so far, much nicer to use than lacquer thinner or MEK.

I'm always glad to answer questions so keep them coming.

Jason

Hi Jason, Thank you for your time with us when we came by un announced yesterday. I thought that the glue and the silver was water borne, not water based. Does this water based have any ill effects or does it not matter since the topcoat is water borne? Also, the white test sample sheet you gave me has a ratio of 3:1:1 written on it. I can't remember what this means. It is also written on it 5 coats. You answered a lot of questions I had about this system yesterday.
:D
Kevin

Kevin
3:1:1 means 3 parts paint 1 part catalist 1 part distilled water by weight, so it's like this, 300gr paint to 100gr catalist to 100gr distilled water.
You should have stoped by I'm just finishing up painting now.

DW

Back