• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Firewall blanket advice?

Just bought the Wag-Aero stock for the J-3. 2 Feet, by 36 inches. Was $20.25 running foot, so $40.50 plus shipping- $12- thought was way too high. Could not find one ready made to fit.

Pat

I'm getting a lot of heat through the stainless firewall with the big Leading Edge muffler setting there real close to it. I am thinking of trying to slide a piece of "Koolmat" (sold by Aircraft Spruce) between the muffler and firewall -- might be just enough space for this 0.070 thick mat. Has anyone tried this or possibly have another solution to the heat soaking through the firewall? I have an Aircraft Spruce normal quilted cover on the inside that looks good but that probably does little good to stop the heat transfer.

Thanks, Darrel

I used Airtex. About $70 if I remember, is cut to fit, and is approved. Had to do a little trimming, but nothing major. Was an easy fit, and lots of color choices. I went with the Dove Grey.

Bob

Eric, thanks for that Link - great stuff:

Here are examples of the material I am thinking of -- one from Aircraft Spruce and one from Pegasus. Anyone have a similar issue? Anyone trying a similar product?
Koolmat.jpg

Heat_Barrier_Cloth.jpg

Thanks, Darrel

I have used the Koolmat on fiberglass cowlings that were too close to the exhaust. The cowl quit getting soft.

I have the Leading Edge Exhaust on my Smith Cub. The heat transfer was unbearable until I put Koolmat on BOTH sides of the firewall...only one side will not do it.

I did all this after the plane was flying...what a pain. I had to remove the muffler to do the front side and cut sections to go on the inside. I put it on with hi temp ( Red ) RTV. No problems in 800 hrs.

Lou

I visited a local aviation upholstery shop and they have a nice approved firewall blanket material. Grey on one side, with a diamond shaped pattern. Fiberglass or similar in the middle. I am going to supply a cad drawing of my widebody firewall, and their machine will cut it precisely. They will then sew a 'closing strip' around the edges, including the inside of the round holes. If there are others interested, I could get more than one made at the same time to help offset some of the setup costs. (send me a pm)> I need some help on how many hoes to put in it: so far:

1) 4 engine mount holes
2) fuel pipe)
3) starter cable
4) cabin heat
5) ??

Aerodon

Anybody used ARMAFLEX for the firewall? I'm using it on some of the other panels for sound deadening. Also thinking of using it inside the firewall.

Aerodon said:
I need some help on how many hoes to put in it: so far:

1) 4 engine mount holes
2) fuel pipe)
3) starter cable
4) cabin heat
5) ??

Don't forget your tach cable, it goes ~ top center, all by itself.

Thanks Logan, I found the 'firewall layout' picture on my CD Rom. Also the firewall drawing (#12365) which fortunately matches my widebody firewall. Now I know it starts getting wider at that point. Here are pictures of the blanket material, I'm planning on getting 5 made up.

Hope the pictures work,

Aerodon

IMG_04741.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

Back