• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oklahoma Lakes and Float Planes??

rcsimpson

FRIEND
Anna, TX
Do any of you Okies know how they treat float planes up there? In Texas they opened up access. I was looking into the possibility of landing up on Arbuckle Lake just SW of Sulphur, OK. I think it may be a Federal Lake so that may make a difference, not sure.

Thanks

OK lakes

Hard to beat this website but you might also post your question on the SPA Forum. (www.seaplanes.org) SPA also has a directory listing all open & closed bodies of water by State.

Grand Lake in Oklahoma used to have a seaplane base. I assume they still do.

I know it is ok to land on Grand, it is controlled by Grand River Dam Authority, as is Hudson. Here is a link to a seaplane operation on Grand.
http://grandseaplanes.com/

I dont know about the Corps of Engineer lakes in OK. I guess a phone call to the Corps would be in order.

I dont know about the Corps of Engineer lakes in OK. I guess a phone call to the Corps would be in order.

If the Corp in OK is anything like the Corp in Louisiana they
will instruct you to not even think about landing on their waters.

Thanks for all the replies. I did go to the Seaplane Pilots site first but you have to spend some "cash" to get that list. Not ready yet. I thought someday we'd end up with a vacation home up there and when I was there checking it out, I saw a float equipped Cessna circling around the lake. Just had to ask the obvious since I thought it was prohibited as well.

Seaplanes

I'ts ok to land on Grand Lake of the Cherokees and Lake Hudson in NE Oklahoma, the are both Grand River Dam Authority lakes. Feel free to stop by Grand Isle Airport (OK18) and you can taxi up our boat ramp. Call Steve Robinson with Grand Lake Seaplanes for more info/details at 918-289-3940. Both lakes are a great place to live, I have some waterfront lots for sale, go www.lakehudson4sale.com for info.
Mike

Cajun Joe said:

If the Corp in OK is anything like the Corp in Louisiana they
will instruct you to not even think about landing on their waters.

When I ditched in Lake Ouachita and after the paramedic finished checking me out the Corp officer walked up and asked me three questions. (Maybe 20 mins. after the crash)

1. Are you OK?

2. How much fuel and oil did you have on board.

3. When do you plan on getting your plane out of the lake.

Apparently, he liked my answers because I never heard from them again.

Re: Seaplanes

Thanks for the invite, very nice of ya. I grew up in Sapulpa and spent a good bit of time over at Keystone, but never made it too far east of there.

okmike said:
I'ts ok to land on Grand Lake of the Cherokees and Lake Hudson in NE Oklahoma, the are both Grand River Dam Authority lakes. Feel free to stop by Grand Isle Airport (OK18) and you can taxi up our boat ramp. Call Steve Robinson with Grand Lake Seaplanes for more info/details at 918-289-3940. Both lakes are a great place to live, I have some waterfront lots for sale, go www.lakehudson4sale.com for info.
Mike

Craig, come on up from TX, feel free to stop by OK18 anytime and I'll be glad to show you around. I think you will find both Hudson and Grand Lakes much more desirable than Keystone and they are the only two lakes in Ok where you can own lakefront property to the water's edge. We might even put you up for a night in the hanger.

Mike
(918) 785-6077

word of caution....dont assume that the info in the SPA directory is up to date or accurate. The last directory I had (not long ago) was not current info.

I would still suggest calling ahead for YOUR benefit!

just my 2 cents.

cafi

RC, I met you at Reklaw a few years ago with your son I think. Do you ever get over to the Flying T? That is where several of my airplanes reside. :D

Am going to push this thread back up to the top. I am Northeast Texas based and intreasted in Broken Bow Lake, southeast corner of Oklahoma. Anyone know if seaplanes are allowed and/or who controlling authority is? When I brought my floatplane down to Texas on straight floats I landed on Grand and when OKMike was having fly-ins we chatted about landing on the water in front of his place. Broken Bow is about 100nm north of me so would be a fun destination as long as I don’t get my plane impounded.

Am going to push this thread back up to the top. I am Northeast Texas based and intreasted in Broken Bow Lake, southeast corner of Oklahoma. Anyone know if seaplanes are allowed and/or who controlling authority is? When I brought my floatplane down to Texas on straight floats I landed on Grand and when OKMike was having fly-ins we chatted about landing on the water in front of his place. Broken Bow is about 100nm north of me so would be a fun destination as long as I don’t get my plane impounded.

Do what the rest of us do, play dumb

Glenn

Figured I would post the answer to my own question :).

From Tulsa website:
”Tulsa's raw water is transported from Spavinaw/Eucha and Oologah Lakes. Lake Hudson, located just north of Locust Grove, provided water in late 2000 and early 2001 and is available for future use.”

Steve Robinson
https://grandseaplanes.com/

Had a great conversation with Steve Robinson Grand Seaplanes.

For the most part eastern Oklahoma (and western Arkansas) lakes are open for seaplane activity. Steve said while not explicitly prohibited activity on the Tulsa water supply lakes is frowned upon.

Broken Bow, the lake I was specifically interested in, Steve said is open for seaplanes.

Randi

The issue in the Midwest is invasive species (zebra mussels) and a lot of lakes are using that as a reason to disallow float planes. All the NE lakes mostly already have them, as do many here (Pomona, Smithville, etc), but they are trying to stave them off. It's about a million dollar fine if you are caught introducing zebra mussels to the lake I live on.

sj

Invasive Species

The issue in the Midwest is invasive species (zebra mussels) and a lot of lakes are using that as a reason to disallow float planes. It's about a million dollar fine if you are caught introducing zebra mussels to the lake I live on.

sj

Texas has a oh well they are here no matter what approach so invasive species are annoying but are a fact of life. We moved from MN to TX ~6 years ago. The lake I was on in MN is now policing all the boat landings and prior to launching a boat you have to have a certificate from a local marina along with a tag that your boat has been sterilized. Lake home owners like it as it’s a great excuse to ban boats not based on the lake.

It’s just a matter of time b/4 someone notices the floatplanes as rare as they might be..........

Back