• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Baggage compartment

twoton

Dassel, MN
Looking for suggestions on material to use for enclosing my baggage compartment, on a PA12 Dakota Airframe? Also looking for options on hanging the outside baggage door.

My Dakota fuselage came with the baggage door frame in place. The door is made of aluminum with two quarter-turn fasteners. If you go to the gallery and blow the photo up you'll see the rivets that are holding the perimeter stiffeners in place. Very simple.
11-13-05_PA-12_first_flight_004.jpg

I isolated the upper baggage from the lower. Some guys put a sliding trap door in the upper baggage floor to reach into the lower. I chose not to. My side walls inside the upper baggage are fabric.

My lower baggage uses Kydex sides and aluminum floor and is simply an extension of the main cabin. Don't forget to add some hard points for cargo tie-downs. In the picture the headliner and floor are powder-coated aluminum and the side panels are Kydex.
April_23_06_013.jpg

Stewart

StewartB Can you repost the photo showing the rivets holding the stiffeners in place please?
Do the rivets go into the tube at the front of the door?

cheers bill.

Bill,

Sadly in the pre-cloud says I lost almost all my PA-12 pictures to a hard drive crash. As I recall the perimeter frame was welded angle aluminum and the hinge attached the door to tube. Perhaps Scooter 7779H will be able to take some pics for you since that plane has been his for several years now. Sorry I can’t offer more help.

SBIMG_0170.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Bill,

Sadly in the pre-cloud says I lost almost all my PA-12 pictures to a hard drive crash. As I recall the perimeter frame was welded angle aluminum and the hinge attached the door to tube. Perhaps Scooter 7779H will be able to take some pics for you since that plane has been his for several years now. Sorry I can’t offer more help.

SBView attachment 40851

there a few pictures of your -12 in this album... https://photos.app.goo.gl/xVqnwWGZXDFNkC7g2

you had tabs welded to longerons to attach sides to

Back