• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Idaho fly-in units for sheep

DonaldCMartin

CA/AK
I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience flying into wilderness units for Rocky Mtn Bighorns or who has flown the SW units for California bighorns.

Thanks,
Don.

I can help you out here in Montana but don't know much about Idaho or California. Montana has the "can't shoot and fly the same day" rule.

Don;

There are numerous landing strips along the Middle Fork of the Salmon and lower Big Creek that provide access to sheep hunting areas. Suggestions would be Soldiers Bar and Bernard Creek landing fields. There are several strips upstream from these, but I believe the best sheep hunting would be near (above) these strips. (Grease up your hiking shoes) I have a friend who took a sheep from above Soldiers Bar. This area is in the Frank Church wilderness, so you are restricted to designated landing fields.

California Bighorns are found in the SW portion of the State. Not many designated landing fields there. BLM manages these lands and I know of several that land off airport down (including myself) there and have had no problems. Watch out for areas along the Owyhee and Breanou (can't spell) rivers for wild and Scenic designations. No aircraft allowed in those areas along these rivers.

Good luck with your sheep tag.

Another,

Don

Back