• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Clipped wing Cub

Plenty of enthusiasm here. Anyone seen/have a clipped wing cub with PA-18 style fuselage structure?

Cheers,
Andrew.

I stumbled upon this old topic and figured I'd add my 2 cents.
I have an Experimental/Amateur Built CWC. WagAero plans built fuselage, aluminum spar/rib wings with full span ailerons.
C85-12 with full electrics, radio, transponder etc.
860 lbs empty, 1400 lbs gross, 28 gallons of fuel usable.
Approved for +6G/-3G and is a blast to fly.
Take off and climb on a hot day with full fuel and seats is not an issue, will cruise at 90 - 95 mph loaded.
Obviously faster solo and part fuel.
Loops, rolls, spins, hammer heads, etc. all fine with 2 on board.
DSCN0556.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0556.jpg
    DSCN0556.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 2,083
Bernard,

That's a great looking CWC! I was wondering since it is a Wag Aero Kit, how did you like the quality of the kit and the help that Wag Aero is willing to offer? Any likes or dislikes? What nose bowl did you use? I really wish their website had more pictures and descriptions of the different kits and the options because it is lacking in that department. Thanks.

V/R

Adam

Adam,
I'm building a Wag Aero 2+2. PM me and I'll fill you in on the + and - of Wag; lots of good stuff out there but i don't want to thread creep.
Marty57

Just got to play with a christen eagle today and now I want a clipped wing cub. Are the STC's still available ?

Just got to play with a christen eagle today and now I want a clipped wing cub. Are the STC's still available ?

Brian,

Look at Barnstormers under "Aerobatic....Pitts Special". Inexpensive and relatively complete projects for S 1 Pitts there. Good news about single seat is nobody to puke down the back of your neck......

MTV

I've never had anyone puke down the back of my neck, but they've puked everywhere else, all over the airplane, in my hat, down the shirt--then into the airplane.
Cleaning the airplane will take the fun out of it, at least for me...:smile:

Does anyone have the drawings for the Reed Clipped wing conversion and who has the STC to put bigger engine and increase the gross weight?
thanks
Brian

Brian,

PM me your email address and I will send you a copy of the Reed conversion and some info on the STC for the bigger engine.

Larry

Thanks Glenn.
I was heavy when leaving the WAD with 12 gals of fuel in the wing tank and eight gallons in the main tank along with full camping gear and a full belly from John Meads awesome breakfast 8) ..... I really enjoy it.

Larry

Thanks Larry Got all the info.

Does anyone have contact info for Scootair LLC in VT? the current holder of STC SA525CE for installing an 85hp engine on the clipped wing cub?

Thanks Todd,

I remember in the late 80's or very early 90's driving from Newton out to Dodge City to see you fly the Chipmunk and Jo fly the CWC. I also remember making a trip with Ed Carr out to see you in Ashland.

Thanks for the video,
Curtis

It's good to hear from you. Boy those were the days. Jo and I were flying around 25 airshows a year and it was kind of a blur when I think about it. Todd Crist has the Krier CWC now and it is beautiful. He took it through a total restoration and we still see it every now and then. We still have the Krier Super Chipmunk and Great Lakes Special here at El Dorado, KS.

Wow, old thread that still sees some action. I have been enjoying my CWC for almost a year now. It is actually a Canadian Homebuilt that is registered as an Ultralight by Canadian rules. While there are some restrictions, it also opens up the ability to make "improvements" to what Piper did a long time ago without very much red tape. O-200 power propped with a 7148 McCauley so it is more like 90hp until you dive enough to rev it up, chromoly everywhere, beefed up tail, cool paint job. And I was around when my friend built it in 1998. After flying a Zenair 701 on 65hp two stroke for 15 years, I think the CWC glides just fine. Could be what I am comparing it to. LOL

Norfolk County0-20140630-00926_edit.jpg076b8080.jpgNorfolk County0-20140630-00927.jpg

Attachments

• Norfolk County0-20140630-00926_edit.jpg
    Norfolk County0-20140630-00926_edit.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 076b8080.jpg
    076b8080.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 237
  • Norfolk County0-20140630-00927.jpg
    Norfolk County0-20140630-00927.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Back