• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Changing tailwheel tire

Jr.CubBuilder

I need some suggestions on changing tailwheel tires. I've got a Scott 3200 with my new tire and tube in hand, but I'm wondering about how to go about putting the halves together. Is a little soapy water the preferred trick for getting the beads to come all the way out to the rim without over inflating?

I replaced mine yesterday and no trouble at all. I assembled it dry and was beaded with very little air pressure.

Jr.CubBuilder said:
.......for getting the beads to come all the way out to the rim without over inflating?

there are no "beads" to go over on one... just a plain strait rim.... so dry is fine...........

Jr.CubBuilder said:
I need some suggestions on changing tailwheel tires. I've got a Scott 3200 with my new tire and tube in hand, but I'm wondering about how to go about putting the halves together. Is a little soapy water the preferred trick for getting the beads to come all the way out to the rim without over inflating?

Better have an A&P come over and do it. FAR 121.21.6 strictly prohibits you from fixing a flat tail wheel without a form 337, log book entry, signed off by an A&P and inspected by the local FSDO office. :lol:

Crash

Can anyone give me the part number for the inner tube for my Scott 3200 tailwheel? My tube leaks and I need to replace it.

Thanks!

Randy

Aircraft Spruce, or Chief, or similar. Get the tire size from the sidewall of your tire and proceed from there. No biggie - - -

Or put a patch on the tube? I've no idea about the legalities of that, but for cats' sakes, it's just a tailwheel!

Heck, it could fall off and not be a big issue. (been there once, and of course it had to be a friend's Citabria that I'd borrowed - -).

Make sure the inside of your tire is clean. What ever you leave in there, one gain of sand, will cause another hole.

There is a slight chance (very slight on the tailwheel, but a potential problem on a Cleveland main) of pinching the tube between the wheel halves. That is about the only thing to watch for other than the above mentioned dirt in there.

The 2:80x2:50x4 is used in other places, so experimental folks can find them for cheap. They are marked "not for highway use" so you have to avoid landing on roads.

There is no TSO on Tailwheel tires, so install whatever tire and tube fits your wheel. When I had my Howard, it used the 10SC Tailwheel tire. Over $200 for the tire, and another $200 for the tube! There is an STC to put rings on the wheel that allows using the commercial 10x3.50x4 tire, about $27 for the tire and $15 for the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never thought of it that way. About five years ago the tire store 2:50x2:80x4 tire was 11 bucks; tube was six. Lasted as long as the Spruce version, only lighter.

just checked. $16.79, free shipping. They are quite common.

Run these things hard. We found 50 psi as a minimum.

Last edited:
Harbor freight has tubes that fit both small tail tires and the larger glider tire. They all come from Vietnam.

I prefer the 6 ply tire that Desser and Bushwheel sells. Stiffer sidewall tends to last longer and work better. Have had some issues with those cheap tubes ripping.

Check the speed rating, if any.
Even a Cub touches down faster than Vne for a wheelbarrow (or whatever).

I have had about the same longevity for the cheapie stuff as the expensive. Steve is right - the tubes seem to go on the side wall. Inflation cures that.

I actually have a spare onboard the Decathlon. Unlike the J-3, I cannot get home with a flat tailwheel on that. Carrying a spare means I never get tailwheel flats. Any more.

I used to carry a spare tire and tube in the Howard. Never had it go flat while carrying the spare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to carry a spare tire and tube in the Howard. Never had it go flat while carrying the spare!

This is the equal & opposite to Murphy's Law-- if you have it, you'll never need it.

I carry a (worn out) t/w tire and tube as a spare.
Guy I know goes me one better-- he carries a complete tail wheel with mounted tire.
I also carry a spare MLG tube- most places (even airports) you'll be lucky to find even a 600x6 tube available, let alone an 850.
FWIW I also carry a tire pump, tool kit, and MLG jack point. No jack though. :oops:

Yeah. My "kit" has a spare cotter key, a beat up 3/4" wrench, and a diagonal cutter. All I need to do is borrow a jack. Takes five minutes.

Having a flat on a main has become a major pain. My airport wants to call out a forklift and get that piece of junk pushed off the taxiway. That will convert a Cub to junk.

Having a flat on a main has become a major pain. My airport wants to call out a forklift and get that piece of junk pushed off the taxiway. That will convert a Cub to junk.

Mike Wiskus is inventor of the PlaneSkate, which is a clever way to deal with an aircraft that has a flat tire on the runway...I found myself needing this for my CT210 in Fargo, and sure enough they had a PlaneSkate that had my aircraft off the runway and onto the ramp in minutes.

Planeskate.JPG

Any airport that has much traffic and a single runway should have one of these things. https://www.theplaneskate.com/4k

Randy

Attachments

• Planeskate.JPG
    Planeskate.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,461
Just got the $12 tailwheel. Very cheap looking rubber/plastic. Restricted to 30 psi. # plies ground off. I wonder if it is "no plies". More later.

Solid sounds like the plan for the Dec - probably weigh the same as my spare wheel and tool kit.

Back