• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

cost of sourced component super cub

kpk250

Lambertville, NJ
Hey Guys,
Can anyone offer an estimate of the cost of the components to construct a complete super cub from PMA'd components (starting with nothing)? Just the parts NOT the labor. I'm talking about vendors such as Airframes, Inc., Dakota Cub, Univair, Atlee Dodge, etc.

I have scrounged for about 5 years on ebay, etc. for parts.

Ill have 50K in the J-5 when it is done, mostly new or NOS parts, some used parts.

Even since I started, good parts are getting harder and harder to find. Best deal out there is a restored supercub that was done within the last 5 years.

Tim

behindpropellers said:
I have scrounged for about 5 years on ebay, etc. for parts.

Ill have 50K in the J-5 when it is done, mostly new or NOS parts, some used parts.

Even since I started, good parts are getting harder and harder to find. Best deal out there is a restored supercub that was done within the last 5 years.

Tim

And, thanks once more Tim for selling me your header tank-- my ole ratty, clankitttitty J5 and I sure appreciate it.

There is a reason why I call my rebuild the world's most expensive PA-11.

Upon reflection--especially after yesterday's flying--it was, is and will remain worth every penny.

Parts can be built for a lot less than purchased if you have the tools and the time. Depends if you you are talking building a cub or assembling a cub, many get the 2 confused. most times building parts are far superior and fit is perfect.

If your really a scrounger, UPS and the Postal Service will make about $7500, plus or minus a couple thousand on the project. And i bet im not far off. And thats without and phone calls. doug

Any way you cut it, there just isn't a really inexpensive way to do it. You do it because you have to!

StewartB said:
The original question was specifically about PMA'd parts.

How many guys are familiar with the restrictions and requirements to legally install owner-produced parts on a certificated airplane? Its not just a "build it and bolt-it-on" process as I remember.

Stewart

Owner produced parts could be something that Atlee's shop or my shop built custom, even if one is available from the manufacturer. It does not literally mean "the owner took the raw material and whittled it to what he needed", although it could also mean that.

Workmanship is everything, and only secondary to the quality of the material. Nothing is wrong with bolting on an owner produced part.

..and the technician who signs it off should be confident that it meets the specs of the original part, no better, no worse.

.. and you can probably find somone who will disagree with my statement that I or some other technician can make a widget to be installed on an owner or operator's a/c and get paid for it.

Those who would argue this should consider what it is I am doing when I take a piece of aircraft quality spec'd wood and, using an old wood spar as a pattern, fabricate a new spar.

How about cutting and drilling aluminum sheet for a new wing skin for a Cessna? Bending stringers for the same repair? These parts have part numbers in the Cessna manual.

What would you call this part?

anyway, I just wanted to argue about Stewart's point. :)

Mike, you're in Fairbanks now? Fairbanks, why would you be there?

Anyway, I recall Bill at Stoddards tallied the parts costs for a whole -18 and the number was around 90K USD, and that was a few years back that he said that number. I don't recall if that included cover or an engine.

Yep, the FAI now. My Dad once said some people are not happy unless they are miserable, so FAI and winter it is.

Back