• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A biplane Piper??

I've seen several SC's with a shorter lower wing but that was years ago. Apparently the idea didn't catch on. One pilot told me they would land slowly but the ground effect off the lower wing caused interminable floating.

Several of the cubs with the short lower wing had stall-spin fatalities back in the late 50's or early 60's. That sort of put a chill on the short lower wing mod. No reflection on this mod though.
JimC

Somebody worked pretty hard to achieve their objective in this project. To me it looks like most of what they accomplished is making it difficult to get in the airplane. Looks like a lot of work for what was done.

Now there's a Cub I could get excited about! What can I say, I'm a sucker for a good looking biplane. but Is that a Stinson tail on there?

Several of the cubs with the short lower wing had stall-spin fatalities back in the late 50's or early 60's. That sort of put a chill on the short lower wing mod.

How is that different from all the "Moose turn stall" fatalities today? ;)

Phil

I noticed one of the bottom ailerons drooping way down, or is that flaps? I wonder who test flew that puppy!

Josh said:
I noticed one of the bottom ailerons drooping way down, or is that flaps? I wonder who test flew that puppy!
Looks like ailerons on top, flaps on bottom.

Piper built a few bi-wing cubs. Aceherks on this site is building one as well. Maybe he will hop on here and share some knowledge.

Well this bi-wing isn't the same as the aeromod bi-wings that I'm using from the 60ies. Aeromod has square wingtips, no ailerons, much smaller mounting bracket for the N struts,

We’re building the third J-3 up as a biplane. Dad purchased the wings, struts, attach fittings, original engineering data/stc paperwork several years ago. Hopefully it will be flying within a year. That particular J-3 will have a 90-8, biplane wings, removable front seat, and ply-wood floats that I just bought two days ago. Something tells me the feds will be all over this airplane like flies on stink, but we have stc’s, and/or engineering data on everything. I’ve swam up stream my whole life, why be normal now?

Pictures will be forthcoming if anyone wants me to post them…

Lippy

Lippy,

Pretty funny that this topic was posted. When I was talking to your dad the other day about his project I had told him I had seen one on Barnstormers for sale. I guess its still on there.

Keith

My thoughts on the Barnstormers Bi-Plane Pacer

The fuselage started as a PA-22-108 Colt, you can tell by the lack of rear door and the homemade rear windows. Wings are also Colt wings, looks like the ailerons and flaps may have been extended slightly. Lower wings are flaps, upper are ailerons. Vertical is homemade and so is the rudder, probably for lateral stability due to the 0-360. We thought of doing something similar to our 180 C/S conversion Pacer in order to pass FAA testing. Wound up de-rating the engine to 150 hp for cruise with 5 min full power takeoff and our rudder trim system to pass the test.

I would also like to see the J-3, sound like an interesting project.

Brian

Anyone know how to get in touch with Lippy? I am really interested in finding out more about his bi-wing J-3 on plywood floats... no luck via PM

Thanks,

Mike

Back