Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nauta flexible fuel bladders

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    Has anyone had any luck finding a non-valved , non-vented cap for these "Water" bags?
    I've been looking for one as well. I'm just about ready to cut the spigot off the existing cap and drill out the hole so that I can tap and plug with a brass or aluminum plug. That seems like a lot of effort, especially if there is an available replacement cap.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about that too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone given a thought, if you want a non-valved, non-vented cap, to using silicone or similar to plug and seal the valve and cut off the spigot??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrussell
    While there are several options, I like to go with a known entity that supports SC.org and stands behind everything they sell. I bought a Alaskan Bushwheels 5+ gallon bag along with Bill's handmade fill valve accessory and it works beautifully. You just lay it on the wing and it will fill the tank in seconds. Plus, you can't put a price on the comfort of having a bit of extra fuel on board when you are out and about the wilds of Maine, New Hampster and Verminont. :P
    I bought one of these this month. It looks like a quality fuel bag. I haven't used it yet on top of a wing but will. I didn't see anything on ABI's site about a handmade fill valve. Maybe Wup can chime in?
    Nicht der Ort fur mich.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2
    Quote Originally Posted by jrussell
    While there are several options, I like to go with a known entity that supports SC.org and stands behind everything they sell. I bought a Alaskan Bushwheels 5+ gallon bag along with Bill's handmade fill valve accessory and it works beautifully. You just lay it on the wing and it will fill the tank in seconds. Plus, you can't put a price on the comfort of having a bit of extra fuel on board when you are out and about the wilds of Maine, New Hampster and Verminont. :P
    I bought one of these this month. It looks like a quality fuel bag. I haven't used it yet on top of a wing but will. I didn't see anything on ABI's site about a handmade fill valve. Maybe Wup can chime in?

Here ya go....

Post Thanks / Like
    That valve assembly is the cat's meow. Put the tank on the wing (pretty easy with the 5.2), turn valve, whoosh, fuel in very quickly. It's a great package. :P
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bft-int.com/aviation.html

Post Thanks / Like

Nauta flexible fuel bladders

Cut off cap , then drill and tap for 1/8" pipe ,then use pipe plug for transport. For fueling install a 1/8 pipe to 3/8" hose fitting with a 24" rubber hose on the fitting, lay bladder on the wing , it works great and takes about 5 min. to drain
    DW

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nauta flexible fuel bladders

Quote Originally Posted by brown bear
    Cut off cap , then drill and tap for 1/8" pipe ,then use pipe plug for transport. For fueling install a 1/8 pipe to 3/8" hose fitting with a 24" rubber hose on the fitting, lay bladder on the wing , it works great and takes about 5 min. to drain
    DW

These already have a spout.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I see.....I thought your bags were the same "Only different" than the ones that everybody else has. I'll have to get me a couple of them that you got.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nauta flexible fuel bladders

Quote Originally Posted by brown bear
    DW

Do you have picture of this arrangement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I did for the Non-Vented, Non-Valved cap. I disassembled the valve then cut off most of the valve with a hacksaw. Then I whipped up some expired structural adhesive and dabbed a bunch of it in the cap from the inside being careful not to let it overflow into the seal. The today I put it on the Bridgeport and Milled it all flat. Seems like it'll work but I would like to have a knurled cap so I can really get a grip on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump...all of the previous links are 404d, is this the 'water' bag of much fame?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iipsrv.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	28321
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW I've run a lot of E 10 through my 9 gal Nauta, its rated for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skukum12 View Post
    Bump...all of the previous links are 404d, is this the 'water' bag of much fame?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iipsrv.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	28321
    That's the bag. I've used them for years. Had to modify the cap with some 2 part epoxy glue and plumbing parts and pieces. Not all the swiss bags are built the same. The one in your picture has "cone shaped" screen at the filler neck. Those can be a pain in ass to fill, but doable, just have to pump a little slower. All of the swiss bags do not like MOGAS. 100LL - no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup just like the ones I threw away, the caps got brittle one broke and others had spider cracks so I didn't trust them anymore. If you use any bag I recommend a filter funnel.
    "Don't feed the hipsters"

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know where you can buy these tanks nowadays

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Tks PA11
    Looks like this person only has one left
    Need to buy 4 of them will look some more

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know anything about they company, but there is a phone number and contact info listed under the "About Us".

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...17URoCoo_w_wcB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I don't know anything about they company, but there is a phone number and contact info listed under the "About Us".

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...17URoCoo_w_wcB
    Sportsmans is a good company. The last 10 bags I bought, I bought from them. That's been a 5-6 years ago, and paid $18.00 for 2. Like I said, the bags work pretty good, and I used them a lot - for years, but not all are the same. The caps have to be modified on all of them. The process used to glue the bags is also different. I found that on some bags, the glue would get soft/gel and at times end up in your fuel. The bags never leaked, as I always ran 100 LL, but after I cut one open, I didn't like what I saw on the inside. I have since gone to "bushwheel bags".

Post Thanks / Like
    Used my Nauta this weekend to get 8 gallons of E-10 regular for the Rotax, which just turned over 2000 totally trouble free hours,(TBO, in 9 years) and paid $2.24 per gallon. That little bit of fuel made all the difference thanks to headwinds the entire flight home. I love removable aux fuel containers of any kind, sure gives a lot of options for increasing range and saving money, both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered 4 from sportsmanguide $15ea
    Thks
    Likes Canadian Farmer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C-YQK View Post
    Ordered 4 from sportsmanguide $15ea
    Thks
    Now all you need is a filter funnel

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF8...3KXVC4MGZKTQ3B

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah... got one of those use it all the time works great!!

Thks

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/923...-grade-1-black

I leave the spout on that way I can bleed all the air out. The caps a susceptible to over torquing.

Post Thanks / Like

Swiss bag caps solution yet?

OK a little life in this thread.......

I have seen some of the caps that folks have modified and was wondering if anyone ever found an off the shelf one that works with the Swiss bags? My cap is the one that has the flare on the end of the outlet neck and looks to be tough to work with. Would love a cap that seals and one that has a bigger hose outlet for filling.

Second question is storage and carrying into the bush. I would like to have more than a couple of these handy for remote float flying in my 180. I am on Edo 2870's with no hatches. I was thinking these may work internal into a compartment with a fill/pump out line accessible and keep them in the floats. Anyone put one of these in a compartment and then fill/drain from there? I would carry a small plastic can and a hand transfer pump. Bit of work but fuel is life.

Last is internal storage in the aft baggage and extended area. I was thinking a tightly sealed bin would be possible to hold these full with the goal to empty them before coming out of bush. I don't like those cap and they make me never want to carry them loose internal to the aircraft. Has anyone used a bin?

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't use them without a good filter funnel, I tossed mine because of gummy gook showing up in funnel after fueling. I took it to be from the bag breaking down.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought that car gas breaking down stuff was BS until I watched one of the swiss bags pretty much fall apart before my eyes. The male threads on the spout would just crumble. I had hauled avgas in them with no problems. Scary stuff.
    I've burned thousands of gallons of car gas in the airplane with no problem and continue to do so, but no swiss water bags full of gas for me.
    The Bushwheel bags are a lot more expensive, until one of the cheap bags falls apart at the wrong time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used the swiss bags for years with avgas and had good success with most of the bags holding up pretty well. It's a complete no-go with mogas. I've modified the caps with some two part epoxy and plumbers fittings - works well. I quit using them for the reasons mentioned above; the gooey, gummy stuff on the inside. Not all swiss bags are the same. Some have a cone shaped screen at the filler cap. Those bags are a pain in the ass to fill. The other bags have no cone shaped screen, fill easily and quickly, but it was on these bags that I occasionally saw the gummy stuff. None on the other bags. I filled both bags with fuel and let them sit for a day or two and then cut them both open. It appeared the "screened" bag used a different adhesive and it held up pretty well, with little or no goo. Not the same result for the other bag. At that point, I just quit using them. I now use a bushwheel type bag - works great - so far.....

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW: I've carried a fair bit of E-10 mo gas in both the ABW bags and my Nauta bladder, with zero issues.
    Thanks 180Marty thanked for this post