• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Nauta flexible fuel bladders

Both the Swiss water bags and the Alaskan Bushwheel model were never meant for ANY ethanol...mogas is OK as is 100LL...just be sure there is no ethanol, not even 5%. The rubber will decompose and do bad things to the carb, etc.

Lou

FdxLou said:
Both the Swiss water bags and the Alaskan Bushwheel model were never meant for ANY ethanol...mogas is OK as is 100LL...just be sure there is no ethanol, not even 5%. The rubber will decompose and do bad things to the carb, etc.

Lou

Actually according to the factory the bags we stock will do fine with Ethanol :wink:

I washed mine out with non-alcohol car gas then let fuel sit in them for a month and strained it through a paint filter and found nothing before refilling them with 100LL using them... And SteveE’s hose works wonders especially if you bevel the outside of one end a bit.

OLDCROWE said:
I washed mine out with non-alcohol car gas then let fuel sit in them for a month and strained it through a paint filter and found nothing before refilling them with 100LL using them... And SteveE’s hose works wonders especially if you bevel the outside of one end a bit.

which ones do you have?

The 5 gallon Swiss rubber ones... Omaha's or Cheaper than dirt... the blue lettering will come off on your hands so a little blue aviation solvent on a rag is a good prevent.

Do the pre-fill and test before flying, I keep mine flushed with 100% lawn mower gas every now and then like I did plastic jugs before these. Just be careful to fill them slowly and hold them by the rope handle when filling... neat thing is they you can empty them is just a few seconds with the hose trick and empty they weight virtually nothing and roll up to about the size of a Sunday paper.

I'm not sure about static transfer with these but when you rub a cloth against them it does not build up a charge like a plastic can does and you don't see dust, dirt and unknown stuff cling to them in the hanger like with a plastic can. It would be easy to have a copper wire through the filler hose just in case for a good bond.

While there are several options, I like to go with a known entity that supports SC.org and stands behind everything they sell. I bought a Alaskan Bushwheels 5+ gallon bag along with Bill's handmade fill valve accessory and it works beautifully. You just lay it on the wing and it will fill the tank in seconds. Plus, you can't put a price on the comfort of having a bit of extra fuel on board when you are out and about the wilds of Maine, New Hampster and Verminont. :p

hottshot said:
FdxLou said:

Lou

Actually according to the factory the bags we stock will do fine with Ethanol :wink:

Sorry Wup...my mistake.
Lou

Has anyone had any luck finding a non-valved , non-vented cap for these "Water" bags?

Grant said:
Has anyone had any luck finding a non-valved , non-vented cap for these "Water" bags?

I've been looking for one as well. I'm just about ready to cut the spigot off the existing cap and drill out the hole so that I can tap and plug with a brass or aluminum plug. That seems like a lot of effort, especially if there is an available replacement cap.

Has anyone given a thought, if you want a non-valved, non-vented cap, to using silicone or similar to plug and seal the valve and cut off the spigot??

jrussell said:
While there are several options, I like to go with a known entity that supports SC.org and stands behind everything they sell. I bought a Alaskan Bushwheels 5+ gallon bag along with Bill's handmade fill valve accessory and it works beautifully. You just lay it on the wing and it will fill the tank in seconds. Plus, you can't put a price on the comfort of having a bit of extra fuel on board when you are out and about the wilds of Maine, New Hampster and Verminont. :p

I bought one of these this month. It looks like a quality fuel bag. I haven't used it yet on top of a wing but will. I didn't see anything on ABI's site about a handmade fill valve. Maybe Wup can chime in?

spinner2 said:
jrussell said:

I bought one of these this month. It looks like a quality fuel bag. I haven't used it yet on top of a wing but will. I didn't see anything on ABI's site about a handmade fill valve. Maybe Wup can chime in?

Here ya go....

35231_1522262661824_1392320224_31405385_7009478_n.jpg

That valve assembly is the cat's meow. Put the tank on the wing (pretty easy with the 5.2), turn valve, whoosh, fuel in very quickly. It's a great package. :p

Cut off cap , then drill and tap for 1/8" pipe ,then use pipe plug for transport. For fueling install a 1/8 pipe to 3/8" hose fitting with a 24" rubber hose on the fitting, lay bladder on the wing , it works great and takes about 5 min. to drain
DW

brown bear said:
Cut off cap , then drill and tap for 1/8" pipe ,then use pipe plug for transport. For fueling install a 1/8 pipe to 3/8" hose fitting with a 24" rubber hose on the fitting, lay bladder on the wing , it works great and takes about 5 min. to drain
DW

These already have a spout.....

fuel_bag_sml.jpg

Now I see.....I thought your bags were the same "Only different" than the ones that everybody else has. I'll have to get me a couple of them that you got.

brown bear said:
DW

Do you have picture of this arrangement?

Here's what I did for the Non-Vented, Non-Valved cap. I disassembled the valve then cut off most of the valve with a hacksaw. Then I whipped up some expired structural adhesive and dabbed a bunch of it in the cap from the inside being careful not to let it overflow into the seal. The today I put it on the Bridgeport and Milled it all flat. Seems like it'll work but I would like to have a knurled cap so I can really get a grip on it.
photo13.JPG

Bump...all of the previous links are 404d, is this the 'water' bag of much fame?iipsrv.jpeg

Attachments

• iipsrv.jpeg
    iipsrv.jpeg
    16.8 KB · Views: 184
Bump...all of the previous links are 404d, is this the 'water' bag of much fame?View attachment 28321

That's the bag. I've used them for years. Had to modify the cap with some 2 part epoxy glue and plumbing parts and pieces. Not all the swiss bags are built the same. The one in your picture has "cone shaped" screen at the filler neck. Those can be a pain in ass to fill, but doable, just have to pump a little slower. All of the swiss bags do not like MOGAS. 100LL - no problem.

Yup just like the ones I threw away, the caps got brittle one broke and others had spider cracks so I didn't trust them anymore. If you use any bag I recommend a filter funnel.

I don't know anything about they company, but there is a phone number and contact info listed under the "About Us".

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...CPgNxhuG3uzxqOjB6qC62_cLAcjanAK17URoCoo_w_wcB

Sportsmans is a good company. The last 10 bags I bought, I bought from them. That's been a 5-6 years ago, and paid $18.00 for 2. Like I said, the bags work pretty good, and I used them a lot - for years, but not all are the same. The caps have to be modified on all of them. The process used to glue the bags is also different. I found that on some bags, the glue would get soft/gel and at times end up in your fuel. The bags never leaked, as I always ran 100 LL, but after I cut one open, I didn't like what I saw on the inside. I have since gone to "bushwheel bags".

Back