Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nauta flexible fuel bladders

Post Thanks / Like

Nauta flexible fuel bladders

Does anyone have any experience with Nauta flexible fuel bladders with their cub, especially in a Firman pod? How do they compare vs rigid gas cans?

Apparently they make 3 sizes - 6 gal, 9 gal and 18 gal. How well does the 18 gallon fit into a stock firman pod, and what's the best way to refuel the wing tanks with it (i.e. I supposed you have to lift it onto the wing, or else have some way to siphon it up there)?

How rugged are these bladders -- how tough are they against punctures?

http://www.imtra.com/product/pumps_t...oard_tanks.htm

Thanks, Christina

Post Thanks / Like
    they must come full of fuel delivered at that price. maybe someone on the site can point you in the right direction to purchase the black military water bladders everyone in alaska is using. The ones i have are 5 gallon and work well with 100ll i have heard they do not like car gas but have never tried it. I got mine for dollars from a friend of a friend. The price they are asking for those bladders is too rich for me.If you pm me i may be able to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gander,
    Thanks..... how rugged are the 5 gal military water bladders, and how much do they weigh empty?

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, here is another one, but no prices listed on their website:

http://www.turtlepac.com/sportdetails.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I liked those bladder storage tanks that Jay uses.He called them pigs. I think there were two gallons each. Point was made to me that you could unload them when you got somewhere. Semi permanent fuel additions were no recommended because of the extra load you more than likely would be carring around with you. So if I need the extra fuel I'm going with the "pigs"

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my Nauta tank. I have the 18 gallon version, I have also used the 13 gallon. I like the 18 gallon better, if you don't want to haul that much fuel, don't fill it up, but you have the capacity if needed. The great think is that you can roll it up when not in use and throw it in the baggage without taking up any room. Well worth the money, I will not be without one. They are very light weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    christina, you found it. That is the exact ones i have. like i said dollars in price. If you call plaschem in anchorage i believe they have made a mold for a more friendly cap. I have seen many versions of caps made.Better buy them quick they will sell out once this hits the web. as soon as i send this i am going to stock up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gander,
    Thank you very much again, for your help! I just went and ordered 5 of them. Even if you don't use them for gas, they'd still make great water bags at just 2.5 lbs apiece!

I'll check out your tip for the replacement cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Christina,

If you can regularly lift an 18 gallon capacity gas bladder up on top of the wing of a Super Cub (on big tires, I might add) I sincerely, from the bottom of my heart apologize for anything I ever may have written to you on this site that could POSSIBLY have offended, and, uh, I don't live in Minnesota any more, either....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two 5 gallon and one ten gallon Turtlepacs. They are awesome, the transfer pump is slick too.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much are the turtlepacs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestone
    How much are the turtlepacs?
    They make a 10.5 gallon bladder that is certified for inside aircraft cabin usage. It can fold and seat belt into your passenger seat. It retails for $995.00 but at the AK Airmans show it was $895.00 on a "show special". Very nice hardware and optional transfer pump that plugs into a lighter outlet.

If you're putting it in a cargo pod outside the plane, there is a marine version (same the aircraft tank, just not certified for inside aircraft) for around $500.00.

www.turtlepac.com

Take care.

Crash

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina Young
    Gander,
    Thank you very much again, for your help! I just went and ordered 5 of them. Even if you don't use them for gas, they'd still make great water bags at just 2.5 lbs apiece!

I'll check out your tip for the replacement cap.
    Interesting, looks like they went up from $12 last week to $20 this week!

http://www.omahas.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=2189

Post Thanks / Like
    I just made a call to Plaschem in Anchorage (nice people) to see if they still made some type of spout for the swiss water bags, and a fellow there mentioned that they no longer manufactured them. He said they could build a new mold and manufacture them, but I'm guessing it would be cost prohibitive to build just a few.

Wilbur

Post Thanks / Like
    Wilbur: Now that we have bought a few of these, does this mean we will have to stand on the tires and hold the button down to get gas into the plane? There just has to be some way to make this thing work. Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Stopped by and talked to a pattern maker friend tonight and think there's a real simple fix to it, without making a mold or getting the lathe going. Will let you know.
    Wilbur

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great post ! I purchased 4 of these for my 12 yesterday , yes I paid the $20 . I imagine more folks here purchased these besides Christina and I . Wilbur ,Let us know what you find out about the spouts

Thanks,
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I have the fix for the spouts. I bought 2' of 1" ID 1 1/4" OD clear vinyl hose. This was about a foot too much, but now I have extra. Bought it at Ace Hardware. All your hardware stores should have it. It fits SNUGLY inside the spout hole. I poured a little av gas on the end of the hose and it fit/twisted in the hole about an inch to inch and a half. Complete seal, plus the tubing bends and allows you to pour out the fuel. Cost me $3.98.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to bump this thread up because I just ordered a couple of those Swiss Water bags. now that some of you have been using them for a while has anyone experienced any degradation of the bags? How about with mogas?

Shane

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also wondering how your Swiss water bags are holding up to fuel use. I just ordered some myself. What a great solution to carry some extra fuel! Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Was reading this old tread.
    Anyone have any new input on how the water bags hold up to mogas/avgas now that they have been using them a while?

Blu

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using mine for a couple of years now, and now problems, no leaks. Although now I'm a little paranoid about sparks after reading one of the other recent threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottperry
    I've been using mine for a couple of years now, and now problems, no leaks. Although now I'm a little paranoid about sparks after reading one of the other recent threads.
    Do you used mogas or just 100LL?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've left one sit for about 2 months now full of Avgas with the orig. spout and seals and so far/so good. The first few days it seemed as though there was a little avgas seeping through the bladder against the concrete floor but I've watched it since and believe it may have just been condensation. I too would be very interested in a replacenent spout/cap as it is very slow to fuel through the push valve and a potential mess with the cap off.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE
    OK, I have the fix for the spouts. I bought 2' of 1" ID 1 1/4" OD clear vinyl hose. This was about a foot too much, but now I have extra. Bought it at Ace Hardware. All your hardware stores should have it. It fits SNUGLY inside the spout hole. I poured a little av gas on the end of the hose and it fit/twisted in the hole about an inch to inch and a half. Complete seal, plus the tubing bends and allows you to pour out the fuel. Cost me $3.98.
    What Steve said.....works great for me.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    to add to that if your push the button in then clamp the rim lightly with visegrips it holds the button in so you don't have to stand there holding the button down.

Post Thanks / Like
    that link above appears to be old.

Is this the one you all are referring to? Any issues over that past couple years of use? Thanks.

http://www.omahas.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=2189

Post Thanks / Like
    here they are even cheaper...

http://rustybayonet.com/pro1408147.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben,

I thought I saw somewhere that Alaskan Bushwheel now has a 5 gallon collapseable fuel bag. I personally have not seen one. I'm sure there are others here who have experience with them. You might want to look into this.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Both the Swiss water bags and the Alaskan Bushwheel model were never meant for ANY ethanol...mogas is OK as is 100LL...just be sure there is no ethanol, not even 5%. The rubber will decompose and do bad things to the carb, etc.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supilot
    here they are even cheaper...

http://rustybayonet.com/pro1408147.html
    Cheaper yet

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/ZBB993-1.html

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FdxLou
    Both the Swiss water bags and the Alaskan Bushwheel model were never meant for ANY ethanol...mogas is OK as is 100LL...just be sure there is no ethanol, not even 5%. The rubber will decompose and do bad things to the carb, etc.

Lou

Actually according to the factory the bags we stock will do fine with Ethanol

Post Thanks / Like
    I washed mine out with non-alcohol car gas then let fuel sit in them for a month and strained it through a paint filter and found nothing before refilling them with 100LL using them... And SteveE’s hose works wonders especially if you bevel the outside of one end a bit.
    "Don't feed the hipsters"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE
    I washed mine out with non-alcohol car gas then let fuel sit in them for a month and strained it through a paint filter and found nothing before refilling them with 100LL using them... And SteveE’s hose works wonders especially if you bevel the outside of one end a bit.
    which ones do you have?
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    The 5 gallon Swiss rubber ones... Omaha's or Cheaper than dirt... the blue lettering will come off on your hands so a little blue aviation solvent on a rag is a good prevent.

Do the pre-fill and test before flying, I keep mine flushed with 100% lawn mower gas every now and then like I did plastic jugs before these. Just be careful to fill them slowly and hold them by the rope handle when filling... neat thing is they you can empty them is just a few seconds with the hose trick and empty they weight virtually nothing and roll up to about the size of a Sunday paper.

I'm not sure about static transfer with these but when you rub a cloth against them it does not build up a charge like a plastic can does and you don't see dust, dirt and unknown stuff cling to them in the hanger like with a plastic can. It would be easy to have a copper wire through the filler hose just in case for a good bond.
    "Don't feed the hipsters"

Post Thanks / Like
    While there are several options, I like to go with a known entity that supports SC.org and stands behind everything they sell. I bought a Alaskan Bushwheels 5+ gallon bag along with Bill's handmade fill valve accessory and it works beautifully. You just lay it on the wing and it will fill the tank in seconds. Plus, you can't put a price on the comfort of having a bit of extra fuel on board when you are out and about the wilds of Maine, New Hampster and Verminont. :P
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bft-int.com/aviation.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet the factory knows what it's talking about too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hottshot
    Quote Originally Posted by FdxLou

Lou

Sorry Wup...my mistake.
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone had any luck finding a non-valved , non-vented cap for these "Water" bags?