• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

shock cord installation tools J3/PA11

stevensonjr

Lafayette La
I want to buy a shock cord tool. Need advice on which is the easiest and best. The last one I saw somebody using looked as dangerous as a Bear trap, especially when a lever slipped and it threw parts all over the shop. Saw 2 sold by A/C spruce, any advice or comments would be appreciated. Bill

Bill-

I think if you are a mechanic and you do this often it is good to have the tool. But if you are only going to do one or two sets of bungees a year I think the best deal going is to buy a set from Univair and send your shock struts and let them put them on for you.

Tim

Tim, you are probably right. That is what I did last time. I've got 2 planes now with the same shock system. I'm trying to weigh cost vs convenience if I can figure out which tool is best. Bill

Tim, you are probably right. That is what I did last time. I've got 2 planes now with the same shock system. I'm trying to weigh cost vs convenience if I can figure out which tool is best. Bill

It takes about 30 minutes to make a 3/11 bungee tool, using maybe $5 worth of materials. A piece of 1"x2" rectangular steel tubing about 30" long, a short piece of 1.5 inch round steel tubing, and two small pieces of 1/8" steel plate. I highly recommend having one around the hanger.
JimC

Jim, do you have a photo or drawing of the tool? I have access to a skilled welder, just need to show him what I need. Would appreciate details and dimensions. Bill

There are plans for two different bungee tools in the member area under tech articles and forms

Hi Bill, I don't think we've met, but I'm Clay's little brother. The simplest and least expensive way to change bungees is by using an engine hoist, and a piece of metal channel or angle.

Here's how it works:
We knocked a hole in the metal so the strut could fit through, then slide a screw driver through the bolt hole to keep it in place. Next take a piece of scrap rope (1/4" braided seems to work the best, doesn't break and is a small diameter) and make a loop to catch the bungee. Start stretching the bungee using the hoist, you might find it easier if you spread the rope (black hammer in pic). Once you've got the bungee over the ears, release the hoist pressure, cut the rope and use the hoist to pull the rope free of the bungee. When you've got the strut off the airplane, use a piece of chain to hold the airplane up. Just be sure to use bolts and not drift pins.

Here's the benefits of doing it this way: One guy can do the entire job in about an hour. There is no real grunt work; the hoist picks up the airplane while you remove the struts and insert the chain and the hoist stretches the bungee. No lever to spring back, and no screw drivers to damage the bungees. It pulls evenly on both sides of the bungee. It's safe for you, the strut, bungee and the airplane. It only cost you a piece of rope; you can use the local FBO's hoist and scrounge for a scrap piece of steel.

Hope you enjoy the SportCub, I had the pleasure to fly on it's wing from Iowa to Georgia while it was being delivered.

nkh

I have built the one JimC is refereing to. But its more like 17 dollars worth of steel if you have to buy it. You will need a good strong table vice to use this tool effectively. It is easy to make though. RRB could give us an operational report. Where are you RRB.

Nathan, I knew there was a simple way to change cords! Thanks for the photos and instructions, I'll file the information till I need it. Bill

Jimc, I would like to have the dimensioned drawings. Do you need an address or will you e-mail them? Thanks for the help, Bill.

Bill, I'll e-mail it to you. I'll have to run out to the airport tonight and measure it. You can e-mail me at jrccea at bellsouth.net

It will be an AutoCad drawing. Would you prefer the file in dwg or dxf format?

JimC

I used the engine hoist method and it was fast simple and safe. That's how I will do it in the future when needed. ...Clyde Davis

FortySix12 and I fabricated the tool mentioned by JimC above.

My experience is from my J5 with three light bungees (the ones also on a J3) per shock strut.

The three bungees per side lead to some difficulty because strut's ears don't hold the third bungee on, rather it sits in the groove between the first two. So, we kept losing the bungee when swinging the strut around and ultimately had to use a C-clamp to keep it on. The first two bungees, however, went on easily without any problems.

Not a CAD drawing but this might work..

bungee_tool.png

Had to mark it up with marks-a-lot to keep the kids from throwing away what looks like junk.
Been using the same one for 20+ years.

good luck
frank

Attachments

• bungee_tool.png
    bungee_tool.png
    621.6 KB · Views: 728
Not a CAD drawing but this might work..

View attachment 15249

Had to mark it up with marks-a-lot to keep the kids from throwing away what looks like junk.
Been using the same one for 20+ years.

good luck
frank

Little Cub, I am sure you have installed the 1280HD bungees on a supercub, but just confirming this, because those bungees are STRONG. With the hydrosorb on the supercub, does this tool still work? It makes it look really easy. Does the bungee ever try to slip off the round piece when you are at the highest angle?
SteveE

SteveE;597505]Little Cub, I am sure you have installed the 1280HD bungees on a supercub, but just confirming this, because those bungees are STRONG. With the hydrosorb on the supercub, does this tool still work? It makes it look really easy. Does the bungee ever try to slip off the round piece when you are at the highest angle?
SteveE

Steve if your not strong enough to flip your bungee by yourself we can take a collection up and get Timmy a ticket to come out and give you a hand.

Glenn

Haha. I'm just wondering if that same tool will work with the hydrasorb and with the hd bungees. I can do it the okie way too. Why don't u make me one and send it this way and stay off the computer......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it gets a bit nerve racking with 1280's (these were 1080's in the movie) it would help to place a light bead to better retain the bungee.. most of the time it works as planned.
Disclaimer: use at your own risk! ;-)

Yes it gets a bit nerve racking with 1280's (these were 1080's in the movie) it would help to place a light bead to better retain the bungee.. most of the time it works as planned.
Disclaimer: use at your own risk! ;-)

I can see you better hang on... Ive got enough weight on me, but it would launch Tim back to his family in the White House.....

Thanks LC

Back