• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

insullated engine covers

JMBreitinger

Minneapolis, MN
What is the best buy on an insulated engine cover. I need it for ocasional use during winter flying. My plane is generally in a heated hangar, though yesterday, at Bell Lake, I was the only one without one and the engine and oil cooled amazingly fast.

I have a Rief block heater installed for my occasional overnight on skis but just realized how little that will do if I can not keep the heat in the cowl.

Ease of installation would be a key consideration for me since my flying involves way more day trips than overnights so it will be on and off several times in a day.

In spite of our recent tropical weather, it is not uncommon to have very cold temps.

The good news is that my rear seat heater makes the back seat quite comfortable, even a zero OAT.

John I just use a couple old worn blankets. Just tuck them in the cowl openings to keep the cool air out. Ain't as purdy as the store bought but keeps things warm for a couple hours but thats about as long as I hang around anyway---rather go flying. When the bank account allows I would look at Kennon (sp ?) of Sheridan Wyoming --really nice looking covers :lol:

John,

Cunningham Covers--Lynn Cunningham (I've been hearing some issues with delivery times, so you might be sure of a delivery time during order, and ask for Lynn when you call).

Alaska Wing Covers--They do a great job, and have always been service oriented.

Kennon Covers--They have made good stuff in past, but I've had some really bad experience with their wing covers over the past couple years, and wouldn't buy anything they say is UV resistant.

These are all readily available on the internet, just Google em.

I'd try Cunningham first. Lynn has always done a good job for me.

Don't try the "old blanket" trick. You'll find that in an overnight, you'll need more insulation than that. And a little more insulation will also hold your engine heat for four or five hours at very cold temps.

On the other hand, you DO NOT need an engine cover as heavy as some make. Like "Brand W". Those things won't hardly fit in the baggage compartment when its' time to go home.

John,

I have a blanket that I bought from Tanis, There in min. I don't know if they make them, or put there tag on them. It is easy to install, and the quality seems good to, wasn't cheap though!!!!!!!!

Matt

Ps, It weighs less than 4 pounds, and comes in a nylon sleeping bag pouch, makes an excellent pillow for my kids to sit on also...

I have a Cunningham cover. Great fit! I did have a little problem getting it from them though. I think he gets swamped in the winter with orders.

I also have a prop and spinner cover. in my opinion they help a lot. And Jim guess what??? I just so happen to have an extra one for sale. Email if you are interested and I'll bring it back to the cities when I come back Tuesday.

Steve

Insulated Engine Covers

I purchased two engine covers from Kennon in Wy. in early Dec. of 2006 . They are excellent ,well made covers! I had delivery in less than a week. The service was top notch and if you pay attention to their web page , they sometimes have them on sale at about half price. Can't beat that !!! John

mvivion said:
John,

Cunningham Covers--Lynn Cunningham (I've been hearing some issues with delivery times, so you might be sure of a delivery time during order, and ask for Lynn when you call).

I ordered a cover from Cunningham on Wed. They said that they would make it and get it out within a week or two. It arrived in my office today, five days later. What great service!

John,

Glad to hear that. Lynn has always done really good work. I hope the company isn't having any issues.

One thing I really like about Lynn is that he's always been more than willing to modify anything he sells, to customize it to one's needs.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I hate to recommend something and have someone have a bad experience as a consequence.

MTV

Back