• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

"I'm From the F.A.A., and I'm Here to HELP"

CloudDancer

L. Ronstadt - J. Ingram Duet
Chapter One - Is that One Stuffs....or Two??

I’m pretty sure it was late spring, maybe around the third week of May or even the end of the month. The sun was staying up pretty late but there were still snow patches scattered around town and the surrounding countryside.

The tinny jangling ring of the old 1950's over-sized black phone had jolted me from a pleasant afternoon daydream. Grabbing for the receiver occurred simultaneously with my black leather dingo boots falling off the edge of my boss’s desk and “klunking” to the dirty brown and broken linoleum tile floor.

The woman on the phone from Kivalina was asking for a price to move herself, husband and two small kids and another lady over to Noatak.

As usual I quoted 1.6 hours of flying time. (A Kivalina round trip always being quoted at 1.3 hours with an extra 3/10's thrown in for a stop at Noatak). But the big question is always “How much STUFFS you guys got”.

Now....if you are unfamiliar with village travel, the word “STUFFS” is a general word that covers everything from the dark green Hefty Plastic bags (generally used in the Lower 48 for lawn clippings and stuffing with dead leaves in early November) which are known throughout Alaska as “village Samsonite”, to anything up to and including steamer trunks and whatever may fall in between.

Ergo....the amount quoted (this varies from “no stuffs” through “a FEW stuffs but not TOO many” right on up to “Lotta’ stuffs too!”) along with the conviction in the tone of the prospective passenger conveying the information....along with any personal experience with the passenger(s) if you already know them pretty good; is then quickly analyzed by the pilot to determine whether taking the “big plane” (the 207) or whether you can get away with taking the 185 which is twenty dollars per hour cheaper for the customer (not to mention WAY more fun for YOURS TRULY!!) :wink:

The answer comes back in a fairly NON-committed sounding “A FEW stuffs.....”. :-? And, knowing that if I can get THEM to commit....then they can’t get mad at me later :agrue: if I SEE all their STUFFS and say “NO. Now you KNOW that is too MUCH!”

So I :Gfish: . “So....maybe I should bring the BIG plane if you’re not too sure about your stuff.” To which she responds “How much MORE it will be”. And upon hearing the new higher price :( she is now much firmer in her conviction that all their stuffs SHOULD fit, especially since the two kids are SMALL :wink: she adds hopefully.

Upon her assurance that they are waiting with cash (and STUFFS) in hand, I tell them I’ll be there in an hour or less and drop the receiver back into the phone cradle with a resounding “THUD!”

Jumping up I grab my neon orange nylon windbreaker with the company’s name and the picture of a Cessna 207 embroidered across the back pulling it on as I skip down the wooden stairs and trot across the gravel lot to where the 185 sits.

In five minutes the preflight is done. I grab the left windshield post and the top of the pilot’s chair and, folding myself in half slide quickly into the left seat. As my right hand reaches down for the seat latching bar under the center of the seat my left reaches for the black tubular V-brace above the glareshild and in a matter of moments, a few fluid and flowing movements have locked the seat full forward, clipped the golden-brown soft cloth combination seat-belt/shoulder harness into place and closed the left door while at the same time both popping the plexiglass window open and locking the door from inside.

Mixture, prop, throttle BOOST -throttle out and rotate the key to the right......

GGGGRRRRRR.......GGGRRRR......GGGGRRRR......DAMN! :bad-words:

more to come tonight. Just wanted to put something up for you good folks to :bunny your curiosity a little...

CloudDancer :anon

Well everybody....I don't know why or HOW.....but for SOME reason....

(and as I have to go to work tamale I am stone cold sober tonight so it AIN'T alcohol influenced....)

me 'n this comPUter....just are NOT getting along at ALL tonight.

I have written Chapteet TWO and lost it TWICE in the last farging hour and a half.

I KNOW...I KNOW.....I've been DOing this for a few MONTHS now and it is simple cut and PASTE....but I can't figure it out.

it's either shut this thing off and go have a nice big hot mug of tea and a smoke

or i'm going to take a hammer... a very LARGE hammer to the keyboard, screen and anything ELSe with the damn Dell logo i see.

Sorry for a RANT instead of PRODUCTION here friends. I am at a TOTAL loss for an explaination.

*&%$!! Give me an IBM Selectric!!

CD :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:

Thanx JrCubBuilder - :howdy

If'n you don't recognize it....it is from the HIGHLY restful and productive
"How I Spent My Summer Vacation" thread. :drinking:

I think...no....I KNOW I am ready for another island relaxation exercise.

Can't come too soon. :roll:

Thanx JCB

Hi Friends...... :howdy

Had to spend yesterday finishing up end-of-year personal paperwork and such :x , as well as help care for a very special friend who is quite ill :OUCH and housebound :( ; so I wasn't able to write yesterday.

Expect to see further writing on this story posted by 2100 eastern tonight.
Now that holidays :x-mas: :pty: :drinking: are behind us :toilet (hope yours were good) we can return to the "regular grind". :-?

I leave tamale night for a three day, and hope to have this story well on it's road to completion by then. :wink:

Stay tuned!!

computer

....at the risk of being on the receiving end of considerable disdain or small pointed lead objects, you might want to consider a Macintosh.
Mine has survived thousands of hours in the back of a 600 AgCat and Stearman. Not to mention PA-12/180. I fear this is like talking about Huskys, which I don't hate, I just prefer Cubs.

If all else fails, ask Steve Pierce's son Lee to fix it. :lol:

pa12_pilot :howdy

Trust me on this one :-? ...I have BEEN teased :bunny :crazyeyes: FAR MORE :kiss: :lol: that I could EVER pass on. Besides which. Ain't no fun teasin' GUYS!! :wink:

Stearman600 :howdy

Naaaaw! Supercub.org member/readers throwin' round and pointed objects??!! Say it ain't SO Stearman!! :bad-words:

P.S. What, pray tell is a Macintosh??? :p

Alright everbody. :x Jus' settle down now....A'hm about ta' commence some scribin' here in a few minutes.....riiiiiight after ah polish off this beverage :drinking: so's the ICE don't all melt an' water it down..... :cry:

CloudDancer,
Great to see you have survived the holidays....Can't wait to for your next chapter...The last week has been a bit rought. Several friends have been hostpitalized due to illness probably brought on by the stress of the last few weeks, and I spent New Years eve flying family in...
Boy, holidays are hard on folks. Glad to see you made it through.
Wingnut

Hiya Wingnut 18 - :howdy

Same back atcha' my friend. And we have at least two things in common tonight.

I too, have someone close, a very good non-aviation friend who is seriously ill. A lived-hard lifetime (the man is a walking suspense-thriller novel in human form) at full-throttle burning gallons of both high octane well refined, as well as uncut lantern kerosene; has left his engine running pretty rough.

Not enough attention to preventative maintenance has left his leaky old contaminated fuel fuel tanks and clogged filters unable to provide proper sustinence to the powerplant. As a matter of fact, the darn engine is fouled up in so many different ways (mags, plugs, couple a weak cylinders, and probably a crack or two in the case) that a TEAM of mechanics are having a difficult time figuring out WHICH problem(s) to fix -HOW? FIRST!!

I've watched him (not quite as old as my Dad was when he passed a decade (+) ago) over the last few months gradually deteriorate, kicking screaming , frustrated and fighting it all the way. From Hercules to a tottering ancient. Until yesterday, for the first time in OUR friendship he had to call for my PHYSICAL assistance from his couch at home, unable to accomplish his day's goals.

So I will add a sidebar to my prayers tonight for you and your family and friends Wingnut 18, and I hope you'll do the same for mine.

P.S. The other thing we have in common.....along with many of the Chronicle readers.........will THIS (I'm from the F.A.A....) story EVER be written/finished??

Answer - Yes. See new sticky.

CD,

Now you know those folks from Kivalina got lots of EXTRA stuffs under their belts. 185???? No way! I will be out there on Monday. :lol:

I know....I know. :-? I bet SOME of you were thinking..."well how many MONTHS is it gonna take Ol' Cloudy to finish THIS story" :x

I think this "dry spell" :bang is over. :cheers Mah scribin' genes are a'startin' to kick in again. :frog:

Come to think of it though...so's my THIRST!! :wink:

Ya'll read this...I'm gonna' go call a cab. :drinking: :pty: :drinking: :bunny I'll scribe some more tamale.

Cheers!! :cheers

Chapter Two - Remember the Alamo

For the last seventy-two hours we had been waiting for a new starter for this, my favorite bird, to come up from Wilbur’s in Anchorage.

The odds seemed to be fifty-fifty :( any time you reached for the key on whether or not the starter was going to kick in on the first, second or third try if at all. And it appeared I was on the losing side of the equation this time. Pulling the mixture knob and throttle fully aftward I reach under the seat, release the lock and let gravity drag me downhill.

As I lean forward and grab the parking brake handle to rotate it and pull it aft I give one last disgusted :x twist on the ignition key and release it almost immediately and.... DAMN :crazyeyes: ..... wouldn’t you KNOW it....it engages and the prop spins a few rapid blades So just as it’s almost to a stop again after two or three revolutions of the propellor, I manage to twist the key in time to keep it turning and I mash the red mixture knob full forward. PRESTO Lucky me she’s GOin’. :p

As the IO-540 barely ticks over at no more than 725 RPM, I quickly reposition my seat and resecure ME to the airframe. With a quick slap from my open right hand the parking brake handle rotates 90 degrees clockwise, unlocks, and the retracts forward under the panel with a solid thud. A slight goose of the throttle and this light bird is rolling across our gravel lot as I flip on the ARC radios and grab the mike out of the left windshield post holding bracket with my left hand

********* deleted *******

Oh, Red will laugh just as hard as the rest of the boys at the story but then SOMEthing...maybe my youthful exuberance :lol: and niavete...or maybe just our common Texas heritage :stupid kicks in; and he’ll make a weak stab at defending me or giving me the benefit of the doubt.

I mean, after all. I am STILL one of the youngest guys around AND least experienced 8) , although now I AM closing in on the “bottom range” of “average” for guys in these parts. That combined with the fact that the only other TEXAN to have COME to Kotzebue to fly only LASTED three days before wimping out :boohoo (see “If You EVER Do That AGAIN”); usually prompts Red to mount some sort of verbal defense for me until shouted down by the assembled throng :agrue: or my unannounced arrival occurs; in which case “the elders” then turn their good natured ribbing immediately my way :oops: until I (good naturedly, of course) suggest that they try something most likely anatomically impossible.

Red has given me every benefit of his hard won knowledge he picked up since being named Wien’s Chief Bush pilot for Kotzebue and has already been flying up here for a couple of years. Of all the old timer’s and “elders” he has been the most forgiving and least judgmental :cluck and tries to see the humor in my “growing pains”. Oh. The other guys are ALL great mostly, and generous to a fault as well. But Red, I dunno, just something about his MANNER I admire. One of the coolest dudes I’ve ever met.

Taxiing by that day I reflect on all of that in merely a moment and look forward to finding him on 122.8 in the next few minutes as I suspect he will give me a holler. Just back from his days off in Anchorage he’ll want to know if I’ve managed to stay out of trouble in his absence.

In another minute I am rolling out onto runway 08. Having already set the trim wheel below with my right hand (DON’T trust the little white plastic “indicator”; all the way forward and then three goods spins AFT sets it just right for an empty T/O each time) as the tail lines up with the centerline I’m already feeding in the throttle.

Full throttle slides easily and semi-slowly forward, and the tail is already rising as the throttle hits the stop with the airspeed passing 45 KIAS and increasing rapidly. My right hand drops to the flap lever sitting in the ten degree position. With a blood-curdling rebel yell :onfire: I simultaneously
depress the white button in the end of the flap handle, haul it up-and-backward to the 30 degree setting and smoothly pull the Cessna control yoke toward my midsection.

Up we go hanging on the prop at seventy knots indicated like a homesick angel. :angel: Below my left wing I see the number one prop on the Twatter just starting to rotate. LORDY I purely LOVE to FLY!!

Chapter Three - Blue Propellor Thingy

I was almost to Cape Krusenstern before I heard the voice of the Twatter first officer call “Kotzebue Radio, zero one Whiskey is airborne, time check please”.

As soon as he received his answer I grabbed my mike and said quietly....”Hey Red. Come up on fingers.” Fingers, of course a synonym (in OUR area anyway) for VHF frequency 123.45 which was used by many airborne pilots as a common “chatroom”.

Seconds later Red is “introducing me” over the radio to his new first officer, a relative new hire at Wien who had just been promoted OFF the third (jump) seat of the Boeing 737 to the right seat of the “bush” machines, the Otters and Skyvans. I congratulate him :up and tell him that he is lucky indeed to have such a fine Captain for his first ventures in the Arctic north and that Red had already taught me a great deal. 8) This, I’m sure caused embarrassment much in the left seat :oops: and Red no doubt came back with SOME sharp witted retort. :wink:

Red and his partner were about fifteen miles behind me and headed up to Pt. Hope with a stop at Kivalina going outbound so in addition to having plenty of time to yak, I would get the added thrill of watching the “big airplane” land, and maybe even take off whilst on the ground loading up at Kivalina.

So I passed the remaining twenty minutes or jawing about....well, who knows. :bad-words: But as I approached Kivalina, angling downward from the southeastern skies in a cruise power high speed descent, I’m sure I switched over to 122 point eight or point nine to call out my arrival to any other traffic that might have been in the area. Now concentrating on my “arrival procedures”, the contents of the conversation were unimportant it seemed. Little did I know... :-?

Just wanted to get something more up today. Still writing. Willl have more/mabye conclusion of Chapter Three posted today.

Best wishes all.

CD,
You now have my attention!!!!! This does not sound good and here you are without a hope a prayer and your fav-o-rite tap dancing shoes home in the closet.
Ok carry on.
John

Yeah John - :howdy

It's a'fixin' to get DOWNrite UUUUUU-glee. :evil:

Stayed tuned for the whuppin'!!! :stupid

CloudDancer, Your manderings of you time spent in Alaska have kept me amused for the last couple of days. Please keep the stories coming and don't change the colourful (British way of spelling colorful) delivery style. As many people have already said, these stories could and would give you another source of income if published in a book. They certainly would be able to an adequate source of beer (rum) money.

Respect

Tony

Islandmonkey !! :howdy

'Ello Mate! Nice of you to join our ever growing group of "Chronically" corrupted readers. And a sincere Yank's Thanks for your kind words. :up

I are pickled TINK to see that what might LIBERALLY be referred to as my "style" :wink: of writing appeals to even those who are used to PROPER King's English! (Sorry ol' sod...just COULDN'T resist THAT one, you know.)

As you might have discovered, long-time Chronicle devotees have continually prodded me :onfire: until I set my sights :snipersmile: on a real BOOK, bindings and all, which I hope will come soon.

Gonna' hafta' either be a high-priced tome or sell a BUNCH a copies if it's to cover my :drinking: bill, although that is certainly an ADmirable goal.

That would leave more of my hard-earned flight pay to pass along to the blackjack dealers 8) and "taxi dancers" :bunny that rely on my to feed their kids as well.

Cherrio!

Wotcha CloudDancer! Jer knar wot, I am from London an I wanna tell yer that the Dick van Dyke (Chim chimmerney) accent of yourn makes yer sand like an Aussy. Ger knar wot I meen.

(Question, Whats the difference between a Qantas 747 and a BA 747 arriving at Heathrow?
Answer -- The Qantas 747 continues to whine even when the Rolls Royces are shut down!)

So pip pip ol' bean I am orf for a jolly cup of Rosie Lee (tea) now.

Toodle Pip ere wot.

Seriously Cloudy if you want a hand in publishing your Chronicles of Narnia let me know. If your ever in Munich or Frankfurt, I know some good rum joints.

BA 737 arrives at Frankfurt (Germany) sometime in the Summer of 1983. Frankfurt as some of you know is one the biggest hubs in Europe and our intrepid Speedbird captain gets lost two or three times in the taxi to the ramp. After the third wrong turn the Frankfurt ground controllers come over the radio and say "Speedbird 737 zis is the third time you haf taken ze falsch turning have you been to Frankfurt before?" Our Speedbird Captain Blunder promptly retorts "Yes I was here in 1943 and 1944 but I didn't land!"

Wait for it.............wait..........still waiting

Hey CD, not trying to hijack the thread, but did you ever hear any more about your fellow airline pilot that was trying to sleep in the isle of your plane?

Jr. cub Builder - :howdy

I'm feeling pretty guilty alright. :cry: I need to get this story done...as the next one (about some of our "homemade" instrument "approaches") is already rattling around in my discombubulated brain trying to get out. :bang

Just rolled in from an Anchorage red eye this morning after a min rest in ANC yesterday for all of about 10 and a half hours. And I'm feeling purty whipped. :Ggurn: I'm so tired I may have to :drinking: my Captain Morgan and Coke's through a straw this afternoon. But ANC was still beautiful :tup: even if only for the three hours or so I was awake there.

Just pisses me :x off I missed Breakfast at Gwennies. But I got two more ANC RON's this month and hopefully they'll come off as scheduled instead of getting all balloxed up like this one did. :bad-words:

As to the Darwin Award candidate :Geureka: First Officer who provided the material for "And I Thought the Passengers Were Idiots"....I can only report that....last I heard.....he was to receive some "counseling" :cluck from one of the union's Professional Standards committepersons....which is a MUCH preferabble alternativve than allowing it to be handled by management.

IslandMonkey - :howdy

I take back EVERYthing I said about your English :lol: .....I THINK! :-?

O.K. Enough of this web board foolery for today. :cluck I have been working HARD for four days boring holes and dodging ozone. :cry: I must now adjourn to my favorite local alcohol vending joint, consume (or OVERconsume, in my case :drinking: ) some spirits, and seek out a nice set of bodacious Ta-Tas :eek: , and then try to charm their owner :Gpenguin: into letting me perform various ceremonial rituals of worship as a personal tribute to their overwhelming meaningfulness to my humble existence. :roll:

Would someone please pass the strawberry jam.... :lick:

Ok CD come back all refreshed containing the literary prose needed to finish this saga. I have been oh so patient awaiting the outcome. It has been so long I have been to Texas and back conducting inquiries to the true identity of the man under the bag.......... Wait for It

Chapter Four - You in a HEAP 'o Trouble Boy

As this obviously QUITE displeased federal official slowly allowed the hand holding the I.D wallet to sink lower, allowing me to see the fire in HIS eyes :evil: ; memories of my thus far short career flashed through my mind along with the thought “Well....THIS probably SCREWS the old airline pilot job all to HELL”. :cry:

Now, I can bluff a crappy hand at poker. :wink: But I have never been able to look a person in the eye and keep a straight face :eek: whilst outright LYING to them. I dunno’. Call it a personality flaw. :-?

C'mon CD, you're yankin' our collective chain...!
If you absolutely HAVE to stop at the most exiting places, you might at least send a BudLite commercial during the interval.

:D :D
Bent

WHOOOOOLLY CRAP!

I get HELL for NOT writing...okay...that's understandable I suppose :-?

Then I start writing again.....and I get someMORE!! :splat:

From across the OCEAN no LESS!! :wink:

I mean I KNOW ya' can't satisfy ALLa' the people ALL the time but. :roll:

SHEEESH.....!!

I may just go POUT now for a while........ :x

Cloud(let's see YOU finish the story)Dancer :anon

I couldn't guess what happens next but I bet the story ends in a drinking establishment.

Chapter Five -

As I watched the grumpy old goat go marching determinedly toward the east end of the runway I note that Red is closing the aft baggage compartment on 01 Whiskey as his co-pilot helps the passengers up the detachable aluminum steps into the back of the DeHavilland machine.

Mind still somewhat awhirl :help I turn and clamber up into my seat popping the window open and locking the door all at once. In two or three seconds I am harnessed in and ready to go (I think) and pop the brake goosing the throttle a little bit at the same time.

It hits me the INSTANT the airplane responds to the increased thrust :Gboggle: and JUST as the wheels begin to turn I LOCK the brakes having moved no more than an inch or three.

You never...EVER pull onto a village runway withOUT first having made at least SOME sort of “traffic call”, assuming you have a VHF to use, which I do.

Mentally I spank myself :bang and, shaking my head slightly I reach for the microphone as I REMIND MYSELF :Gwhoa: that I have people’s LIVES in my hands and I must NOT....repeat NOT allow my mental whirlwind to override my flying brain. 8)

“Kivalina traffic....November 80124 Cessna 185...to back taxi from the cemetery to the west end for an east departure over.”

When after ten seconds the only response has been silence; I again give the throttle a good shove and blast my way back onto the metal planking with a hard right rudder and the 185 begins to rumble her way down the center of the fifty foot wide runway.

From my right I hear Sadie’s voice break into my thoughts. “Hey CloudDancer??” and I turn her way as she continues “...whoWAS that strange nulakmi” (new-lock-me, Eskimo for white man)

“Oh....” I say absentmindedly as my thoughts are becoming more despaired by the minute it seems...”he’s just some guy from the F.A.A. in Anchorage, that’s all.” “Oh” she says back. Then... “What’s F.A.A?” I couldn’t help the small laugh :) that escaped and I looked at her and said “Pilot Police” :whis: a term I was sure she could relate to.

Now approaching the end of the runway I allowed the airplane to drift almost all the way over to the beach side of the runway preparing for my U-Turn and departure and, as I brought her almost to a stop Sadie asked “Are you in TROUBLE with pilot police CloudDancer...he looked MAD.” :x

“I mash forward on the yoke release the left brake and add pressure to the right one all unconsciously and feed in a buncha’ throttle while answering the old gal. “Well Sadie....he AIN’T too happy...but I’ll figure out how to fix it.” And as I finish saying that the nose has pivoted a hundred-eighty degrees around the right main wheel and we are now lined up in the center of the PSP runway again as I mash down on the left brake to stop.

Quickly I do a last second recheck and reset of the direction gyro (120 degrees) and the altimeter (eight feet). Mashing the black button on the mike again I announce to the world in general and anybody approaching Kivalina in particular.... “Cessna 124, a Cessna 185 departing Kivalina runway 12 straight out for Kotzebue.”

Just at that moment Sadie leans over to me and says loudly “CloudDancer. You TELL us if you need help. We’ll TELL that MISter F.A.A. man you GOOD pilot. :up You ALLUS take GOOD care of us and FLY us good TOO!”

As I feed in full throttle and full forward elevator ( I want the tailwheel OFF the steel planking to minimize the damn BEATING and VIbrating the 185 takes on this runway....) I laugh and say ‘THANKS Sadie....I know you WOULD and that means A LOT to me.” And over the increasing roar of the engine and tinny intense rattling of the airframe she hollers back “We WOULD....and so will EVERYBODY!!’ Now with the tail lifting and all my concentration on tracking straight for another couple’a hundred feet ‘til I get flying speed I just laugh loud and say “Thanks!”. As I watch the Otter at the other end of the runway growing larger in my windscreen and see Red opening his door preparatory to mounting up I just sigh to myself and think....(if ONLY it were that EASY....)

Airborne before the halfway point I lift the Skywagon’s nose a good twelve degrees and put in an immediate five degree right bank to swing me well clear of the Otter and out over the beach.

Hiya Chronicle Followers - :howdy

Well...I thought MAYbe I'd wrap this one up tonight :cluck ...BUT.

It's getting late and onced agin' I'm confronted with WORK tamale :cry: ...although at LEAST I didn't have to mess with the midwest and the eastern seaboard the last 72 hours. :wink:

AND...on the POSITIVE side :tup: ...I DO get 25 hr layovers in God's Country again the next two weeks. :pty: :bunny

Ohboyohboyohboy!! Breakfast at GWENNIES!!! reindeer SAUSAGE :Gcloppy: and REAL SOURDOUGH flapjacks! YUMMYyummyYUMmy!! :lick:

Come back for Chapter Six - tentatively titled - the Whole Damn Bookcase

(THAT should give you a hint where this might be headed) :down (Sorry Snert... don't know of any Alaskan bars with BOOKCASES in them....hate to disappoint you though...........)

Anyway....at least we're getting SOMEthing acCOMplished here.....as I STILL sit on pins and needles :Gworry: waiting to hear from this PUBLISHER!!!!!

JEEZ....these people leave you HANGin' for EVER!! :chill:

'Sides which. Momma' CloudDancer done dropped in on one o' her inSPECshun tours an' I been sorta' neglecting her today :oops: .....so I need to go do the "Good Son" :angel: thing.

As Always.....Thank You my friends for spending part of YOUR precious time with ME. It DO make me fell SPECIAL!! :Gupsidown:

Back