• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Transporting Wings

PA18project

Missoula MT
Finally going to pick up a disassembled PA22 that I plan to convert into a producer type airplane. The wings are off but fully assembled. I am looking for advice on how to transport the wings without damaging them. I don't expect to have time to build anything elaborate between now and saturday. I am just hauling them about 2.5 hours but don't want to destroy them in the process. Any other words of wisdom would also be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

I have a ladder rack that fits on my truck or if your tariler is longer than 16 feet they will go underneath and behind the main gear and fuselage. Easiest is to have two trailers but not always practical. Happen to be going after a set of wings in the morning. 18' trailer with bolt on wing racks.

Get six 2x4x8 studs, four rather large carriage bolts, washers, and nuts, and four relatively small eyebolts that will go through the 2' part of the 2x4.

Also get a drill and some 1/4" spade bits.

Lay the wings on the ground upside down, and mark a couple of 2x4s so the holes will match the lift strut attach bolts, which you leave in the wing. Slide the eye bolts into where the lift struts used to go, thread them through the 2x4, and tighten with nuts and fender washers. Leave enough 2x4 hanging off the LE & TE to protect both.

Then move to the butt end, and on each wing, turn the remaining 2x4s into a giant clamp - one on top of the spar and one below it. Arrange the giant carriage bolts very close to the spars and very close to the butt rib. Tighten until you are sure the 2x4 clamp will not slide off. You could get clever and put some rope in there to ensure that it will stay on, but I have never had one fall off. The pair of 2x4s acting as a clamp should extend beyond LE & TE just like the one at the lift struts. Then you can haul the wings either vertical or horizontal. I have gone coast to coast this way with no damage. Good luck.

Use a cattle trailer. Put 2x6 studs through the trailer and lay them on foam and cinch them down. Can put the rest of the plane under the wings.

Thanks

Thanks for all the helpful information. Between the lumber rack on my truck, the trailer and all the scrap 2 X 6 lumber in the shop I will hopefully be able to get it done! On that note, thanks for the great description on the rack built from lumber for the wings. Im excited to get the project home and to begin working on it. Thanks again.

HI
I recently moved mine 1 at a time on top of my 14 boat on the trailer. I used lots of foam rubber padding and a few old pillows and some tie down straps to hold it in position. It was quick and easy.
Glenn

Using my unpatented wing rack (yes, I am registered with the USPTO) I was able to get the entire aircraft on a 1959 Chevy pickup, and haul it coast to coast with no damage. Did the same, only covered, in a giant U-Haul truck - only damage was when an aileron was stepped on. Checked the bolts every hundred miles for the first day, then just looked at them once a day.

It is a lot more fun ferrying these things than hauling them. Can you get it started?

No, I sure wish I could. I would much rather ferry it back home and then take it apart, thats for sure. The previous owner took it down to do a complete rebuild and only got through the wings. Since this is a producer project I will end up re-doing the wings but the net effect is that - unfortunately - it isnt even close to flyable at this point in time.

Back