• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Another Ebay Item - J3 Project in Northeast USA

Grant

FRIEND
At Work.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Piper-J3-Cub-wi...394QQihZ009QQcategoryZ419QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like it may be worth restoring if you have the time. Of course it has "No Damage History" :wink:

d13a_12.JPG

I wonder what it is worth. Any guess? I'm not bidding just curious. It'll probably go pretty cheap since it is poorly categorized in Ebay. Instead of ebay motors they have it listed in ebay under aviation collectibles.

I just wonder how many of these cubs are sitting in people's garages incomplete because they thought it would be cheaper to restore rather than buy a flying one!

I am a victim of this myself in some respects. I just cannot imagine spending 10-15k on a project to find the fuselage is junk or somthing else major!

Of course I will be sporting a new orange machine in 2007, for less than 1/2 of a legend cub!

Tim

sounds like the guy bought this about ten years ago when you may have been able to rebuild it for cheaper, or maybe he bought it yesterday for 300 bucks from some old widow. Who knows?

Grant,

This could be a neat project for someone, but I think it has a couple of drawbacks (at least in my eye). I wouldn't be interested in paying much over $9K for it even though it does look to be in pretty good shape.

The airplane is clearly marked as a J3L with a Lycoming O-145 engine. As a J3L, the gross weight will be forever legally no more than 1170lbs (on wheels). The extra 50lb gross weight of the J3C (1220lbs) is important of the utility of the plane today. The TC for the J3L also has less additional equipment approved.

The Lycoming O-145 was also known as the weakest of the 65hp engines on the J3 and parts are more difficult to get for the engine today.

As I said, it could be a neat project for someone. Installing a Continental engine (of any HP), while possible, would be much more of a headache in todays regularitory mindset at the FAA. That plus the limited gross weight makes this this plane an interesting candidate for a restored J3L only.

It would be neat if someone had the money and desire to do this as there only a handful of restored J3L's still flying with the original engine.

John Scott

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I bet the guy said to himself. "What would it possibly be worth? $9000?" If so just set your first bid at that number and someone will bite. It is Ebay afterall.

You can modify the "L' or "F" model to a "C" model legally. You can also up the gross weight if you do the necessary mods. It will always stay an "L" or "F" model but will be inspected under the "C" model TC. I've done several of them.

John

John,

This is one of those issues that remains murky for the J3's. I 100% agree that there is NO structural difference between a 1941 J3C, L or F. Firewall AFT they are identical. However, they were (in the eternal wisdom of the CAA) certified under three seperate type certificates.

I have been told that to recertify an F or L to a C, you would have to prove to the FAA that every individual part of the airframe was the same and that this was unjustifiably costly. What have you found that I have missed?

As for the gross weight increase, per the TC's the F and L can leaglly only go to 1170 max. The C can go to 1220. Again, what have I missed?

I'm not talking wink, wink, nudge, nudge stuff here, but how to allow a J3F or L to enjoy the amenities of the J3C TC. The J3 community would also greatly appreciate it if you could share this information with the Cub Club.

I'm not picking a fight, I'm truly interested in learning where I missed something.

Thanks,

John Scott

No, It is not worth that much to me. I would consider about half that. One could buy a NICE flying J3 for what I think it would have needed. Or at least the way I would have wanted to rebuild it.

How about the J-3 currently on Barnstormers... Covered in linen in 1959, but the owner says it is airworthy. Who knows
what kind of corrosion or damage to the fuselage is hidden under that 47 year old fabric. 25 grand for a plane that I
suspect at minimum needs a recover.

PIPER J-3 C-65 • $25,500 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • 2048.0 Hrs Total 366.0 Hrs SMOH A-65-8 New tires,
bungee cords, strut forks, O/H compass. All engine / airframe logs since new. Fuselage and control surfaces covered
with Irish linen 8/59. Wings covered in 5-62. Not a show plane, but a solid ready to fly cub. Flow from Wyoming/Texas
used 1 qt oil.

Steve Pierce, it is in Stephenville, a ways south of you. Do you know this Cub?

Eddy, I don't know that J3. There is a PA11 project down there that I would like to get my hands on. It would take a mint I am sure.

Those instruments are hard to find and worth the high bid. Just look up what new certified nstruments cost. I located all of those for an original Luscombe restoration and had close to that in overhaul costs.

Back