Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do You Remember Your First Off Airport Landing?PleaseShare

Post Thanks / Like
    Picnic strip up by the Knik Glacier, April 11, 2015. I had some battery problems prior to leaving the airport, but I charged it up and went out for some time in the air. My instructor had encouraged me to start exploring off-airport, so after doing a few approaches I decided to put the wheels down and see how it felt. I bounced around a bit, but soon I came to a stop. I couldn't go without taking a few pictures, so I turned the engine off and walked around for a while to see the area and take a picture or two.

When I climbed back in and went to start her up again, I got absolutely no response. The battery was dead. Oops. At this point I had no training on how to hand prop the plane, so I was basically dead in the water. To make matters more fun, I was foolishly out there with no secondary communication devices and nothing for survival gear. Oops. It's an area that gets plenty of traffic, so I wasn't in much danger, but still...foolish. After walking around for a while trying to find a high spot for a cell signal, I looked up and saw a familiar looking plane. I ran back to my ride and used the still functional radio to see if I could hail some help. Luckily, it happened to be my mechanic flying right above me at the right time. He landed, talked me through what I did wrong, gave me a quick tutorial on hand propping the plane safely (and not flooding the engine by priming while hot - again, oops), and I was on my way home.

I learned a lot that day. My landings have become much better, I've practiced my hand prop technique quite a lot (and had to use it twice more), and carry what I need when backcountry landings are a possibility. Only two years have gone by, but man...it's been a good two years!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firstlanding.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	276.3 KB 
ID:	30750

Post Thanks / Like
    My first off airport landing in the winter. Lake Gorge past Knik Glacier. No good story but I always liked the picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	30759  

Post Thanks / Like
    Windfall Lake near Juneau, Ak. Glare ice like the preceding post, but not the gorgeous backdrop. I was one happy lad though.

First beach landing was Young's Bay, also near Juneau. As was mentioned above, I was advised to land as though it were level. Worked just fine on landing, but on takeoff the slope did matter. AND I had a bucket of redneck clams to take home and fry. Yum!!!!!!!
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    My first off-airport landing was back in 1978. We were flying along, and my instructor said, "OK, we're going to land this thing in that field right there." I couldn't believe it! He was pointing at a field surrounded by 35-foot trees, and it couldn't have been more than 150 feet long! He insisted, so I lined up on the long axis (with a moderate right crosswind), and flew a steep approach all the way to the ground. No trees were harmed, and we even managed to take off again, and fly to the practice field... Oh, did I forget to mention that this was in a TH-55 Army Helicopter? LOL. That was the first of many "confined area" landings, but still a memorable one. Still, not quite as memorable as landing in a similar "confined area" on a pitch-black night, using night vision goggles, with only the position lights (on "low" position) to illuminate the trees, and with a slope that was just barely within the limits of the aircraft. That got the adrenaline pumping, for sure!

Helicopters - the "ultimate STOL aircraft"...
    Jim Parker
    '65 Champion 7ECA - Flying
    ?? Bearhawk Patrol - Building

Post Thanks / Like
    My first off airport landing involves an NTSB report... https://www.ntsb.gov/about/employmen...11X11387&key=1
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    My first off airport landing involves an NTSB report... https://www.ntsb.gov/about/employmen...11X11387&key=1
    Ouch, that stinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Ouch, that stinks.
    Actually, might have been the best thing to ever happen to a 100 hour pilot. Learned real quick that I did not know jack...

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes DENNY, CamTom12, Pete Schoeninger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! N102TC MTV's former Cub has a new home. Have fun.

GAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    Ah! N102TC MTV's former Cub has a new home. Have fun.

GAP
    Yep, he pointed that out to me when I posted my sheep story last fall. It sat in the hangar for too many years after my father stopped flying, but I've been putting it through its paces these last two years. Fun connection!
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, he pointed that out to me when I posted my sheep story last fall. It sat in the hangar for too many years after my father stopped flying, but I've been putting it through its paces these last two years. Fun connection!
    That was about the nicest Cub in town and I'm sure it still is.

Gary
    Thanks 62E thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no recollection of my first "off airport" landing except that in those days any spot big enough was considered to be fair game. Sad, now we would get in trouble just thinking about it. I have looked at places where I used to land and wondered how I managed to get in and out of that little pea patch. Could very likely fill a book of short stories on the topic. I do have some secret places just to keep my hand in.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like

2005 shortly after I solo'd I got my tail wheel endorsement with jay Baldwin. Landed on the knick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	Vietnam, 1967.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	313.5 KB 
ID:	30840Danang, 1967.
    "The sword of freedom is kept sharp by those who live on it's edge." - Scott Adams
    Thanks 40m thanked for this post
    Likes SJ, cubdriver2, ER Upgrade liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Name:	Vietnam, 1967.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	313.5 KB 
ID:	30840Danang, 1967.
    That was your first solo flight?
    Jim Parker
    '65 Champion 7ECA - Flying
    ?? Bearhawk Patrol - Building

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that first one,, my first plane was at age 19, 65 HP Champ. My friend and I were air knocking out over the Mississippi river. I saw a sand bar covered with people having fun, camping and skiing. We circled the bar a couple times and my bud said, 'lets land there", duh, OK I said. I touched the mains a couple times and decided it should be OK, I didn't consider a departure plan. When we landed and the tail wheel dug into the sand, the landing roll was about zero feet it seemed. People ran over and the first words I heard was,,," I can believe you landed, that was stupid". My friend was not an aviation guy, was unconcerned and went straight to a ski boat and was out on the river. I relaxed for a bit and schemed on how to get back in the air.
    I knew we could never get airborne from the soft sand in the middle of the island, so walked the little feller over to the waters edge. It was fairly packed and was not straight, had about a 10 degree slope to the right with an right turn about half way down. I am guessing I had about 200' ending with a hard left turn at the end. We marked the entire left side with drink cans and then put a pile at the point where we HAD to be airborne.
    When we loaded up to give it a go, I got back in the front and quickly saw that I needed to be in the back since my friend was about 40 pounds heavier. I had never flown a tail dragger from the back and this wasn't the best time to start. I walked the course a few times and rehearsed it all in my head. We had a boat waiting down range and people briefed on a rescue plan. I interviewed and recruited the best two drunks available to run along and hold the tail wheel out of the wet sand. With only 65 horses and two late afternoon drunks, here we go. Full power and forward elevator,,, I remember one guy falling flat early and the other soon after. Luckily the tail stayed up, had it fell into the sand my plan was to abort. We made the slight right turn and chugged to the pile of beer cans. I couldn't see the airspeed but knew I was slower than usual. I pulled back just enough to fly and not rob any speed and limped the little dumpling out across the river. That was 50 years ago, wasn't one of my better decisions but it worked out fine and fun to tell the story.

Gordon
    Last edited by GordonC195; 08-06-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    Likes flylowslow, courierguy, L18C-95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm alive!!"
    Eddie Foy
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_3637.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	32390

Today I made my first true off airport landing in the cow pasture up in the hills. My dad was riding along with me and I told him I would make a pass and see how the approach felt. To his surprise I landed on the first approach because everything felt right. Greased it in like I knew what I was doing. However the takeoff was much more exiting. The strip elevation is 8,100 and the density altitude made it 10,000. The strip has some fairly pronounced bumps about 200 feet into it as we takeoff to the south. The tail was only partially up when we started bouncing which caused me to weave around like a drunk. It was at that point that my dad quit videoing out of the front window and pointed the camera at the front seat, ha ha. I pulled it off and kept it in ground effect until I had gained good airspeed and then uneventfully flew on out.
    I'm not sure if I needed to trim it more nose down than normal to help bring the tail up? The trim was left set for landing with full flaps which is usually three handle revolutions forward of cruise flight. In any case I will always remember my first flight into and out of the back country while at the controls.
    Likes 40m, Steve Pierce, StuBob, AkPA/18, Brian M liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    After a summer at the local airport, I flew the Champ back to my house. 900ft, inclined with trees at the top. There was 6ft of corn at the threshold and tassels in the tail springs became common. But the most memorable Champ takeoff was at an airport, on skis. The Aeronca oleos were about sacked and not ready for loss of puffy tires, so it couldn't take the ridges in the snow as I tried to take off outside the snowbanks. The engine was cutting out from all the up and down. I then noticed the tops of the considerable snowbanks had been cleanly shaved by a snowplow wing. I approached at shallow angle, almost dragged a tip, took the high ground and throttled up down a long white putting green.
    What's a go-around?
    Likes 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    After a summer at the local airport, I flew the Champ back to my house. 900ft, inclined with trees at the top. There was 6ft of corn at the threshold and tassels in the tail springs became common. But the most memorable Champ takeoff was at an airport, on skis. The Aeronca oleos were about sacked and not ready for loss of puffy tires, so it couldn't take the ridges in the snow as I tried to take off outside the snowbanks. The engine was cutting out from all the up and down. I then noticed the tops of the considerable snowbanks had been cleanly shaved by a snowplow wing. I approached at shallow angle, almost dragged a tip, took the high ground and throttled up down a long white putting green.
    Tim, this is the 900' with the jeep that is close to the farm.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Post Thanks / Like
    My first off-airport landing was also my first emergency. I had a 2600 foot grass strip on our family cranberry farm in central Wisconsin. My neighbor to the east also had his own 2600 foot strip on his farm. I took off to the north one morning in my 90 hp Piper J5A Cub Cruiser, heading for the Wisconsin Rapids airport (which was about 10 miles east).

As I climbed out I suddenly heard a "CRACK" and the engine quit cold. My training kicked in and I immediately pulled the carb heat on as I established best glide and assessed my options. I also played with the mag switches and assured that the throttle was fully open. At the same time all this was happening, I remember thinking "you just heard something break. It ain't gonna restart"!

I knew I was too far from my strip to make it back, but the neighbor's strip was off the right wing. I turned in that direction and started trying to figure out if I was going to make it. It soon became apparent that I was going to end up short, so I switched gears and lined up for the big cranberry field that was just off the north end of the neighbor's strip. It was after harvest so there were no berries to damage, and the vines were all nicely combed from the harvest equipment. I lined up so I'd be landing "with the vines", as I knew they would just lay down and not cause any problems.

It was probably the nicest landing I ever did in the J5. A real greaser! Funny how you can do great things when you're really concentrating and the adrenaline is pumping! I rolled to a stop and got out to see what was going on with the engine. As I looked around there were pickup trucks coming from every direction. Apparently everyone around the area had seen my gliding down to an unusual spot! I had plenty of help getting the airplane out of the field and back to my strip.

We ended up finding out that the gear on the crankshaft in the C-90 had broken and stripped itself off the crank. This of course stopped the cam and mags from turning, but allowed the crank to keep turning. A couple of weeks later we had the engine back up and running and all was well. The whole thing was a great lesson to a then low-time pilot.
    Joe

Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Flew many hours over those bogs in the c130. Do you know Craige Scott?

Jake

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    I clearly remember my first off-airport landing. Had about 300 hours TT, and about 5 in my C-170B that I had just traded for. Got into bad weather, and ended up landing on a logging road here in Montana, rather than climb up into IMC in the mountains with no gyros. The road was muddy, real slick and not quite long enough. My wife in the back, and my buddy in the front were just fine. It only took me 6 months to rebuild the plane! A very valuable lesson..
    May you always choose the time and place you land..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C130jake View Post
    Flew many hours over those bogs in the c130. Do you know Craige Scott?
    Sure do Jake! I haven't seen him in ages but we used to talk quite a bit when I was in the berry business.

I probably watched you fly over in your C130 too. Used to go down to Hardwood quite often too.

Cool stuff!
    Joe

Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if this counts, but we have a small local field (2100') that has a nice smooth dirt/seasonal grass median between the runway and taxiway. There is no mid-field intersection, and the median was listed in Flight Guide (this was 1980) as OK for takeoff and landing. I was landing in my Mom's Decathlon and figured why not? I made a nice landing and taxi-ed back to the ramp and shut down. This old guy comes out and says " Jeez kid, you having a hard time? You missed the runway completely". "No Sir, I did that on purpose. It says right here in Flight Guide that I can". Mumbles, rolls eyes and walks away.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Lewis View Post

Name:	IMG_3637.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	32390

Today I made my first true off airport landing in the cow pasture up in the hills. My dad was riding along with me and I told him I would make a pass and see how the approach felt. To his surprise I landed on the first approach because everything felt right. Greased it in like I knew what I was doing. However the takeoff was much more exiting. The strip elevation is 8,100 and the density altitude made it 10,000. The strip has some fairly pronounced bumps about 200 feet into it as we takeoff to the south. The tail was only partially up when we started bouncing which caused me to weave around like a drunk. It was at that point that my dad quit videoing out of the front window and pointed the camera at the front seat, ha ha. I pulled it off and kept it in ground effect until I had gained good airspeed and then uneventfully flew on out.
    I'm not sure if I needed to trim it more nose down than normal to help bring the tail up? The trim was left set for landing with full flaps which is usually three handle revolutions forward of cruise flight. In any case I will always remember my first flight into and out of the back country while at the controls.
    I've landed in quite a few pastures and have determined there are two absolutes. 1) That lovely green grass is like a siren that calls you in so the underlying potholes can beat the snot out of your airplane. 2) You will always hit at least one big, fresh, wet cowpie and it WILL be slung onto the underside of the wing, where it will dry nicely on the way home.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !