• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sam orders new Rans or how to watch the fur fly!

I am purchasing the new Rans S7s it came out I think in 2000..
The older ones are called " Short Tails " I do not want one of those..
I want the 912 engine (4Stoke, 4 Cylinder) And newer version Rans.

Sam

8)

Taledrger said:
Sam Beckett said:

A guy Named Mark Pringle of Rocky Mountain Kit Planes in Utah is building mine up.

Sam

8)

Don't think I would put it quite that way Sam..

Uh, oh - amid the professional kit builder controversy. Sam, build it yourself - you might like it!

Sam Beckett said:

A guy Named Mark Pringle of Rocky Mountain Kit Planes in Utah is building mine up.
Sam

The FAA is considering changing the rules on homebuilt experimental aircraft because people are hiring others to build airplanes for them. Here is a link to an article the EAA recently posted on their site:

http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/060914_rights.html

I think that if someone doesn't want to actually build their own plane, they should buy a certified LSA or factory airplane, and not jeopardize my right to build airplanes!

Clyde

Rans-v-Cubs

I have a L-21 and love it but a couple years back I had a issue with my medical so I looked into the Rans S7. I took a ride at SNF and guys I was blown away it's a great airplane, I wouldn't have an problem going that way at all if I needed to.

Mike

I've actually been toying with the idea of getting a S7 for floats and skis. Won't give up my "H" plane but I think it would also be a great trainer for my kids. Since going back to certified airplanes after owning two experimentals I'm sold on experimental airplanes.

Sam, the S-7 is a great airplane. I wish you many happy hours in it. What part of the country do you live in (I'm near Memphis). I've been flying a J-3 with an O-200 and a flat prop that will smoke any 18 I've flown (caveat -- with one person on board). I'd love to do a direct comparison between the 3 and 7 if we ever have the two planes in the same neck of the woods....... You'll do better than me in cruise (I top out at about 108 mph, and you cruse at 110). But, with similar payloads, I doubt that you can get off shorter, or climb steeper. And, I'd be kind of surprised if you can land shorter.

>. Then there is the issue of shoes. One has to find and wear some pretty skinny shoes so their feet can rest on the rudder pedals and
still have a little room for their heels to move around some.<Interesting> My shoes just barely fit and therefore my feet had to be straight forward. This doesn't work<What> Trying to reach carb heat was almost impossible. Rotating the pitch trim had it's issues too. Sometimes when the trim was right, the knob was poking me in the shin.>

I find that an extra eigth of a turn on the handle in either direction clears my leg without causing the plane to be percepably out of trim.

> And let's not forget the contorsions one has to go thru to get in and out of the Cub.<There> There is no comparison at all with the Rans Courier.<

If a Courier is the same as a 7 and the comparison is with a 3, I agree with that, but my conclusion is probably diametrically opposed :)

JimC

My backup computer is running Windows 3.11 and an old version of Netscape, and it sometimes garbles and omits part of my text when copying text from two different posts. It did so in my response above. My apologies :)
JimC

Is this Sam Beckett?

Image0032.jpg

Climbed all over this RANS S7LSA today. It had 30 hours on it.

...looks shiny.

...with a shiny white prop.

...and itty bitty gear.

....and, oh, looky...are those stall strips on the leading edge ahead of the struts. why'd they do that?

Any of you guys know that Rans also makes bicycles?

DAVE 8)

Not Sam. It was a transient from Dallas that stopped in. Lee and I went up to the main airport and checked it out. Yes it has a stall strip on the leading edge.

Oh it's never gone forever. as I recall he did just get a brand new Tailwheel, after letting someone use a old 3200 Scott. He is persistent.

Back