• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 180 question

F

FiftyNineSC

for you 180/185 guys out there....do any of you have any experience with "upgraded" landing gear such as heavy duty 185 gear or the XP mods titanium? I'm just wondering what the benefit is and what it takes to install a set of 185 gear on my 1955 180.

The reason I ask is that my early .700" thick gear seems to be sagging a little and definitely feels "squishy" compared to others that I fly.

thanks for any input you guys can provide.

Bill

For the Ti gear, you will have to remove some material from your outer gear box as part of the initial installation. I have not flown the stuff, but I would have it if it were available and I had the means.

The 185 gear will stiffen-up your 180 quite a bit. Depends on how you want it to be and your intended tire size, and how much load you normally haul, if it will go on skis....................?.........?.

The '53 that I just finished was spec'd. by the new owner to include 180 gear, not 185 gear. The guys idea is that he's reasonably sure to be on 8.50's and intends to do mostly smooth stuff and prefers to have a smooth taxi.

I know the guy's mission and that he'll go on skis and that he'll put quite a load in it at times, so I was surprised that he wanted to stay on 180 gear, but the guy knows what he wants and has spent time in this a/c, so that's what he got.

I bet I didn't help you much :-? ? DAVE

Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. Was the 180 gear that your customer wanted from a late model? The reason I ask is that later model 180's came with "heavy duty" gear that is thicker and heavier than the stock early model gear. I've been looking at those as an option too.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

You should get those new gear so that I can buy your old set for my 170. The early 180 gear are what I'm after! :)

TripSlip38 said:
Bill,

You should get those new gear so that I can buy your old set for my 170. The early 180 gear are what I'm after! :)

That sounds like a good deal! :D I've got a friend that has a set of 185 gear that are pull offs on his float plane. They only have about 30 landings on them. I was thinking since I mostly frequent unimproved strips and prefer a firmer ride, they might be the ticket.

I'll keep you posted if I decide to do it. Just found out the XP mods titanium are about $10K (with trade in) so it looks like I'll be going the used 185 route if it's worth it.

One piece of wisdom I have gleaned from the 180/185 guys is that it is cheaper to buy a 185 than to convert your 180 into one, likewise, it is cheaper to buy a late model 180 than do al the mods to your early model one.

I'm just going to keep flying my early model mostly as is (although I will say the 185 gear is one thing I might do!) until santa brings me a 185, which I hope corresponds with fuel costs going down also.

sj

Steve if you keep upgrading at this rate, you'll be in a Turbine Otter in a few years. :)

Bill, let me know when you get around to swapping those gear. PM or email me. -Zane

Cessna 180 changes

Here is a list (used from another site) of the changes to the C-180 over the years. sorry it's so long. In 1957 they went fron .650 gear legs to .700 and in 1964 they went to C-185 gear legs at .750 thick. 1957 to 1959 are the best year models in my opinion. They were still in the light weight airframe but had a higher GW, cam lock door latches, better engine, better airbox, and better exhaust. The only thing I wish they still had was the mechanical fuel gauges in the wing root.

Take care! Crash

1953 Model 180 Comments - Serial numbers 30,000 through 30,639 (only 639 built)

The baggage capacity is 120 lbs. and this is the same in all later models. The 1953 model did not have an outside baggage door and the only access to the baggage compartment was over the fold-down backseats. Controllable cowl flaps are standard on the model 180 and a large access door is standard on each side of the cowling. Engine exhaust is through dual mufflers - one of which is shrouded for carburetor heat and one for cabin heat. (A Stewart-Warner gasoline heater was optional through 1955). Fuel gauges are direct reading mechanical type. The engine was the O-470-A.

1954 Model 180 - Serial numbers 30,640 through 31,259 (only 619 built)

Improvements and New Features

1. An outside baggage door was added, measuring approximately 15 x 22 in. This baggage door is standard also in all succeeding models.
2. The engine was changed to O-470-J near the end of 1954 production.

1955 Model 180 - Serial numbers 31,260 through 32,150 (only 890 built)

1. A slower turning engine, the O-470-J, was standard, producing the same horsepower as in the previous model, but at fewer rpms.
2. The main wheels were moved 3 inches further ahead for improved braking and ground handling. This was done by changing the rake (forward angle) of the spring steel gear.
3. New heavier 1/4 inch thick windshield for better soundproofing and extra fiberglass soundproofing was added to the cabin and wing-butt areas.
4. Fresh air inlets were moved further out on the leading edge of the wing. This placed them outside of the propeller slipstream and lowered the noise level in the cabin.

1956 Model 180 - Serial numbers 32,151 through 32,661 (only 510 built)

1. A new engine was used for the 1956 models - the O-470-K, developing 230 hp at 2600 rpm. These engines featured larger steel cast cylinder heads having thinner and more numerous fins - for cooler operation. Additional dynamic dampeners were used and these plus revised engine mounts produced a much smoother, quieter, vibration-free engine operation.
2. The engine cowling was redesigned by adding a carburetor airscoop at the bottom – this gives more engine power from the ram-air effect and is said to give up to 1 1/4 inch more manifold pressure at high altitude than the previous arrangement.
3. A new large stainless steel single muffler was used for the first time with separate compartments within the muffler for carburetor heat and cabin heat. This had a long single exhaust stack at the lower left side of the engine cowl.
4. The tail wheel was modified to give more steering ability.
5. The fuel vent to the main tanks was moved to a new position behind the left wing strut to prevent ice formation in icing conditions.

1957 Model 180 - Serial numbers 32,662 through 32,999 and 50,000 through 50,105 (only 442 built)

1. The gross weight was increased 100 lbs.
2. The gear leg thickness increased from .650" to .700".
3. A fuel strainer drain control was added to the inside for ease of draining fuel without having to reach under the cowl.
4. Instrument panel rearranged and new electric fuel gauges used for the first time. Engine instruments used were smaller non-standard types.
5. A heavier door seal was used. For ease of locking, a new cam type latch was used for pulling the door in tightly on the seal. A flush long lever type outside door handle was added for ease of opening the door.
6. A generator-warning red light was used to replace the ammeter. This also served to warn that the master switch is on when the engine is not running.
7. A vacuum selector switch was used on the panel to allow checking the vacuum of either the directional gyro or the artificial horizon.
8. The fuel capacity was increased from 60 to 65 gallons total. This plus a modified, more economical carburetor, increased the range.
9. Note - it appears that the empty weight increased about 50 lbs. in the 1957 models. This is not entirely true since the unusable fuel rating was upped and this fuel included in the empty weight.

1958 Model 180A - Serial numbers 50,106 through 50,355 (only 249 built)

1. The engine exhaust outlet was changed to the right side on all models to route the exhaust stain down under the fuselage - on earlier models there was some tendency for exhaust stains to accumulate on the left side of the fuselage due to slip-stream effects.
2. New seal put around windows for reduction in wind noise.
3. New instrument panel and new lighting console. The tachometer and m.p. gauge went back to standard size.
4. A new ratchet-click mechanism added to the elevator trim wheel to prevent creeping.
5. Lock with key for opening added to baggage door.
6. An 18-gallon aux. baggage compartment fuel tank was a factory installed option.

1959 Model 180B - Serial numbers 50,356 through 50,661 (only 305 built)

1. New heavier door hinges.
2. New instrument panel.
3. New adjustable fresh air vents for the rear seat area. (optional)
4. Optional pilot and co-pilot 3- position tilting seats.

1960 Model 180C - Serial numbers 50,662 through 50,911 (only 249 built)

1. Fuel cells changed to incorporate flush gas tank caps on the upper surface of the wings to replace the original counter-sunk caps.
2. Seat backs made adjustable with optional headrests.
3. New smaller, streamlined wing fillets (flap area).
4. The airscoop was removed and the airscreen flush-mounted on the front of the cowl. The net effect of the cowling redesign was to produce slightly more airspeed, although Cessna never advertised this.
5. New stabilizer-elevator down spring to improve longitudinal stability.
6. Increased headroom in the third and fourth seats due to a redesigned bulkhead and skin on top of fuselage.
7. First year for the O-470-L engine.

1961 Model 180D - Serial numbers 50,912 through 51,063 (only 151 built)

1. Cowling was changed to incorporate cam locks for holding it on.
2. "Shower of Sparks" Bendix mags were used for easier starting. A special switch was used under the instrument panel to supply primary current to the mag coils without engaging the starter to allow hand cranking of the engine.
3. A new lever-type cowl flap control with mechanical position notches.
4. New generator - 50 amp, as standard equipment - all.

1962 Model 180E - Serial numbers 51,064 through 51,183 (only 119 built)

1. New fuel tank outlets added, so that each wing tank has two outlets (one forward and one aft) rather than only one per tank. This gives a less unusable fuel rating.
2. New optional long-range wing tanks, increasing capacity to 84 gallons.
3. New O-470-R engine.
4. New wing tips and position light mounts.

1963 Model 180F - Serial numbers 51,184 through 51,312 (only 128 built)

1. New magnesium cast rudder pedals.
2. Magnetos changed to the impulse coupling type replacing the "Shower of Sparks".
3. Instrument panel lighting controls in overhead panel.
4. Semi-reclining front seats.
5. First year for 10 degree flaps.

1964 Model 180G - Serial numbers 51,313 through 51,445 (only 132 built)

1. New instrument panel, new heavy-duty axle and new third window on side.
2. Dive speeds (red line) increased to 192 mph I.A.S. on all models from the previous 184-mph red line speed. Flap lowering speeds increased to 110 mph.
3. Gross weight increase of 150 lbs. with more useful load.
4. Changed to 185 landing gear.
5. Third window added to fuselage.
6. Manual tail wheel lock.
7. Cleveland dual piston brakes.
8. Generator replaced by 52 amp, 14V alternator.

1965 Model 180H - Serial numbers 51,446 through 51,607 (only 161 built)

1. 182 firewall used, making 180 and 185 airframes identical.
2. Redesigned instrument panel to accommodate center stack radios.
3. Open view control wheels.
4. Improved fuel strainer.
5. Integrated engine instrument cluster.
6. Redesigned doors on engine cowl.

1966 Model 180H - Serial numbers 51,608 through 51,774 (only 166 built)

1. Improved door latches.
2. Front seat legroom increased.

1967 Model 180H - Serial numbers 51,775 through 51,875 (only 100 built)

1. Pointed propeller spinner increases length 3 inches.
2. Extended baggage area in aft cabin.
3. Aeroflash rotating beacon.
4. Optional auxiliary door on left side.
5. 60 amp alternator.
6. Individual center passenger seats.
7. Split bus electrical system.
8. Cleveland brakes standard.

1968 Model 180H - Serial numbers 51,876 through 51,993 (only 117 built)

1. New baggage door.
2. Fuel strainer cable relocated to oil filler door.

1969 Model 180H - Serial numbers 51,994 through 52,103 (only 109 built)

1. Skywagon name used for the first time with Model 180.
2. 300/400 ARC avionics available.
3. Fresh air vents restyled.

1970 Model 180H - Serial numbers 52,104 through 52,175 (only 71 built)

1. Conical camber wing tip decreases wing span 4 inches.

1971 Model 180H - Serial numbers 52,176 through 52,221 (only 45 built)

No major changes made.

1972 Model 180H - Serial numbers 52,222 through 52,284 (only 62 built)

No major changes made.

1973 Model 180J – Serial numbers 52,285 through 52,384 (only 99 built)

1. "Camber lift" wing with bonded leading edge.
2. Revised instrument panel with rocker switches.
3. Dual cowl mounted landing and taxi lights.
4. Split rocker master switch.
5. Padded control wheels.

1974 Model 180J - Serial numbers 52,385 through 52,500 (only 115 built)

1. Optional cabin door bubble observation windows.
2. Optional skylights and lower door panels.
3. Optional rudder pedal extensions.
4. Vertical fin attachment redesigned.

1975 Model 180J - Serial numbers 52,501 through 52,620 (only 119 built)

1. Engine changed to O-470-S, horsepower remained 230 hp.
2. Improved cabin heat valve.
3. The optional float plan kit includes the C-185 vertical fin to the end of production.

1976 Model 180J - Serial numbers 52,621 through 52,770 (only 149 built)

1. Primary airspeed indication in knots.
2. Flush folding 5th and 6th seats.
3. Flap extension speed increased to 120 knots.
4. McCauley main wheels and brakes.
5. Last year for auto fuel STC.

1977 Model 180K - Serial numbers 52,771 through 52,905 (only 134 built)

1. Engine changed to high compression O-470-U. Horsepower remained 230 hp but at 200 rpm less.
2. Vernier mixture control.
3. Heater plenum relocated to firewall.
4. Strengthened tail wheel.
5. Basic flight instruments in "T" configuration. More holes and lowered control yoke 1 1/2". Went to smaller yokes for knee clearance.
6. First year for McCauley tail wheel and stronger tail wheel gear spring tube (1 1/8").

1978 Model 180K - Serial numbers 52,906 through 53,000 (only 94 built)

1. "Skywagon II" referred options package available.
2. 28-volt electrical system, avionics master switch.
3. Polyurethane paint standard.

1979 Model 180K - Serial numbers 53,001 through 53,115 (only 114 built)

1. New design optional wheel and brake fairing.
2. Bladder tanks were discontinued. (Wet wings). 88 gallons total, 84 gallons usable. 1979 to 1981 models.

1980 Model 180K - Serial numbers 53,116 through 53,167 (only 51 built)

1. Improved audio panel.

1981 Model 180K - Serial numbers 53,168 through 53,203 (only 35 built)

1. Improved avionics cooling system eliminates exterior ram scoop.

Last 180 completed (SN - 18053203) rolled off the production line September 10, 1981. Total production was 6,193.

Re: Cessna 180 changes

Crash said:
Here is a list of the changes to the C-180 over the years. sorry it's so long. In 1957 they went fron .0650 gear legs to .0700 and in 1964 they went to C-185 gear legs at .0750 thick. 1957 to 1959 are the best year models in my opinion.

Crash-

What material are these made out of? Spider webs? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crash.... Maybe I can trade you the super heavy duty gear off of our 172....it is .650 thick I would love to have a set of the .0650 speed gear:D :D
Tim

NIce one!

A decimal point sure means alot in some discussions.

Crash didn't mention, it, but after the first year of the Cessna 180, the geometry of the gear legs changed, placing the wheels slightly forward of the earliest gear by about 2 inches.

They didn't have that on Stancil's website, Crash?

Bill, the gear on the recent refurb. is 11/16 nominal, though the measurement varies with location.

Here is a link with ample description of the Wittman gear on your Cessna:

http://www.xpmods.com/maingear/identification.asp

Dave Calkins said:
Crash didn't mention, it, but after the first year of the Cessna 180, the geometry of the gear legs changed, placing the wheels slightly forward of the earliest gear by about 2 inches.

It's mentioned in the description of the 1955 model.

Fascenating reading. Thanks Crash.

John Scott

Did a lot of work on 1953 C180. It had lighter gear which I was told was the same as the 170. It did rock around a lot more but I thought the advantage to the older 180s was they weighed less and flew better.

Sorry about the decimal point out of palce, I went back and fixed it.

The jury is still out on the TI gear (good, bad, indifferent). One thing I didn't like about it is that you have to hog out the outer castings to get it to fit. Once you do it you would have a hard time going back if all in a sudden they found out there was something wrong with TI gear. It's also now really expensive stuff.

Take care. Crash

53 C-180

Regarding the 53 C-180, and the rake of the gear, it actually better approximates the Super Cub in several ways: It is easier to get the tail up on takeoff (compared to later 180's), and also easier to balance on the maingear with moderate braking on landing. And, during ground handling it doesn't have as much of an "iron tail" feel that loaded 180's and 185's have.

I sold a 185 about 5 years ago, and a year ago began flying a 53 180 - a fast super cub. But it still doesn't get flown near the hours that the Cub does.

Two Cents.

Bob Breeden

www.AlaskaAirpark.com

Titanium Gear:

1. expensive
2. won't corrode
3. takes, what, 29 pounds off the gear weight
4. it's new, so you don't have to wonder when the stress cycles will show up in a lost airplane due to cracked-out steel gear
5. it looks cool
6. heck, it's TITANIUM! Who doesn't want something made of titanium??

:D I'm just havin' fun here, guys.

Decide for yourself. Here's a link: http://www.xpmods.com/maingear/titaniumqa.asp

Steve Pierce said:
Did a lot of work on 1953 C180. It had lighter gear which I was told was the same as the 170. It did rock around a lot more but I thought the advantage to the older 180s was they weighed less and flew better.

In '55 Cessna changed the gear on the 170 to a slightly pre-stressed/curved leg that was a little stiffer. I believe even the early 180 gear are still stiffer though that the 170 gear. They all have part numbers, XP Tom has a guide on his site: http://www.xpmods.com/maingear/identification.asp

Think of me if you happen across a set of these early 180 gear :) They're getting to be like hen's teeth.

Crash - that was great I will store it in my files.

Bob - here's a question I have been puzzling about: with the possible exception of a very strong crosswind, I find that both the 180 and the Cubs seem to get off a good bit earlier if left in a lazy three-point attitude. Why do folks always raise the tail on takeoff? A better question: When using flaps (good for short/rough fields) is there ever any reason to get the weight all on the mains? A lot of 180 drivers swear by flaps 20, then raise the tail for takeoff. Costs me an extra 100 feet every time I try it! And that's regardless of flap setting.

bob turner said:
Crash - that was great I will store it in my files.

A lot of 180 drivers swear by flaps 20, then raise the tail for takeoff. Costs me an extra 100 feet every time I try it! And that's regardless of flap setting.

My experience is similar to yours. I use 20 degrees and 3 point it off. Whenever I raise the tail i add 50-100' to the roll. That's just been my experience. On a rough runway that's long though, I will raise the tail because tailwheels are expensive. :D

As far as the gear thing goes...I'm probably going to go with a later model set versus the TI gear. XP mods wants $10K (after trade in) for their gear.

Does anyone know what it will take paperwork-wise to install a late model set of gear on my 1955 model?

Thanks,
Bill

When I was a kid flying my first 170, I remember running across a old timer who had worked 170/180s for a lot of years. We were talking about them, and I mentioned that I wanted to put 180/185 gear legs on it to take the bounce out of my landings. He said something like, "Kid, all you are going to do is make it ride rough and beat the shit out of the airplane, keep the soft legs on it and learn how to land the thing." Sometimes those old timers are right.....It was definitely the smoothest riding ski plane I ever had. I'd only change a spam can to stiffer gear if I were operating at high enough weights that the gear was always splayed out.

bob turner said:
Bob - here's a question I have been puzzling about: with the possible exception of a very strong crosswind, I find that both the 180 and the Cubs seem to get off a good bit earlier if left in a lazy three-point attitude. Why do folks always raise the tail on takeoff?

Well, theoretically (and I say that recognizing theory and practice are often different) it would seem that the airplane should acccelerate faster in the level flight attitude....the thrust line is aligned in the direction of travel, the wings are at a low angle of attack, resulting in less drag. As far as flaps, on a smooth hard surface, the flaps don't add anything except drag until liftoff.

So, again theoretically, the best performance would result from beginning with the airplane magically in a level flight attitude with zero flaps, and then, just before you reach liftoff speed, the airplane magically changes to 3 point attitude with takeoff flaps.

Why do you think that you get better results? not saying you don't, just asking what you think causes the takeoff to be shorter? Additional drag from the elevator holding the tail up? Bad timing in the rotation from level to 3 point?

Theoretically, AND in practice, the rotation phase (now to be known as the "magically changing to 3-point attitude with takeoff flaps" :lol: ) can actually be detrimental to short takeoff performance.

What I'm talking about is when a dude aggressively rotates and yanks the flaps 'on' at the PREcise MOment that he believes the a/c will fly.

The wing MAY experience partial airflow seperation at that MOment.

Conversely, Jerry Burr has intimated that an extremely tail high takeoff roll followed by a smooth rotation to 3-point with flap application will provide a nice takeoff.

I can visualize it as the downward-swooshing tail and smooth flap application compressing the air gathered under the wing and tail. :Geureka: :Geureka: :drinking:

Lots of compromises in flying, but I usually go with the tail-low takeoff unless a stiff x-wind is present. I am of the opinion that this method will get the a/c flying positively away from the ground in the shortest distance without the guess-work of the 'rotate' method.

Maybe we should start a new discussion on this :agrue:

Tail

Oh - Bob and guys I just checked back in......

Well, there are plenty of times to leave the tail down, I agree. A gravel runway and prop care come to mind. I'll do some comparisons with a plain Jane tail low takeoff in the 180 next time I'm out and see what the distances are.

I do enjoy balancing on the mains, that's an old habit that serves well in the rough (again, more of a super cub thing), even just lifted an inch or so, or all the way up, depending on the circumstances.

In rough crosswinds, getting the AOA out during the roll until ready to fly takes out some equally rough handling issues - when the wing has no bite, it has no lift - until it is time to launch.

And then there are times to cobb it tail down with lots of flaps and get the weight to the wing asap!

I sure like the gentle feel of these older 180 gear legs. Conversely, in the Cub, I prefer the tightest, firmest, newest bungees available. :)

In the '80's, oldtimers told me that Cessna responded to some noseover accidents caused pilots unfamiliar with the Cessna taildragger airplanes early on by offering forward extensions for the gear legs for some 100 series Cessnas. I have always thought that the newer 180 gear was designed with that "insurance" in mind. :roll: It costs on crosswind landings, though! 8)

As Steve says, part of the freedom we enjoy is making our own decisions on just how we fly - or something like that!

Bob Breeden

www.AlaskaAirpark.com

Re: Tail

Bob Breeden said:
In the '80's, oldtimers told me that Cessna responded to some noseover accidents caused pilots unfamiliar with the Cessna taildragger airplanes early on by offering forward extensions for the gear legs for some 100 series Cessnas.

True, if you look carefully at the gear on 120s and 140s you'll find some that have a little forward extension bar, which moves the center of the axle forward a little. It isn't much, and it's not real obvious from a distance.

Re: Tail

aalexander said:
Bob Breeden said:
In the '80's, oldtimers told me that Cessna responded to some noseover accidents caused pilots unfamiliar with the Cessna taildragger airplanes early on by offering forward extensions for the gear legs for some 100 series Cessnas.

True, if you look carefully at the gear on 120s and 140s you'll find some that have a little forward extension bar, which moves the center of the axle forward a little. It isn't much, and it's not real obvious from a distance.

Interesting, I've been wondering for years what the point of those was.

You got it, there! He's changed the name, same guy.

The mechanic guy next door at Hood just sent out a set of Ti gear which TDAero inspected and yellow-tagged....so he's still at it.

info on TD Areospace regarding TI gear legs

I own a cessna 180 and received this from the FAA

Attachments

• upn_2011-20100321015.pdf
    44.8 KB · Views: 417
Back