• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float fittings Bolt on vs Weld on

Jerry Gaston

Bozeman, Montana
Got a cub that will need float fittings installed. What are the pros and cons
Is the bolt-ons less expensive? And where can I find some used ones?

The bolt on fittings can walk around and damage the longerons in rough water. They're a half ass solution in my opinion. Do weld (TIG) on Atlee Dodge or Ariframes Inc. float fittings for a much better installation. Crash

Myself and 2 buddys have been using bolt on fittings for 25 years in Fairbanks with no problems or damage to tubing. At rebuild I plan on going to the weld on ones so I don't have to cut the fabric.

You have the pro's and con's. Weld on are more expensive, bolt on work fine, but if used hard and tightened to much will crimp the tubing. Contact Stoddards in Anchorage for bolt a bolt on set. You should be able to buy them for less than $300.00

Jerry:
I've been using bolt on fittings for years without any issues. I have a friend with a set that are in good condition and am sure are available. He replaced his fuselage and had weld on units installed.

Good to meet you at Lake Hood. How was the trip?

Ed

Ed It was good to put a face with a name finally. You sure have a nice looking cub. Hope the cabin construction is going well you guys don't have much time to work on them.
My trip was great I got to visit some friends out at Lake Clark took my wife thru the pass and she loved it. I also got to spend some time with Torch up in Fairbanks. He took me to some of his private fishing spots, some were pretty tight and narrow but he treated it like it was no big deal. And did we catch the fish. When we visited Denali the mountain was clear (no clouds) one of the first days all summer like that. whew! you sure have some big mountains.
Probably see you this August when I return for some more fishing.I've got the plane stored at Floats Alaska for now.

Jerry,

Maybe you didn't notice but the TORCH has bolt on fittings. Of course, you did notice I ALWAYS make super smooth landings. :lol: We both made super smooth landings on that creek. I enjoyed flying with you a bunch. As you know, I like flying in the SLOT. Folks let me tell you how much fun it is landing in formation on the floatpond in Fairbanks with Jerry. I wish I had video.

Back