• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Husky Cub

A BELLAND

PATRON
Cranbrook,B.C.
I saw pics of Ksecub and was wondering about how you like the new wing.

They are cool pics of your plane sitting on the glacier.
Aurele

I like the new wing, but it does take some time to get used to. It does not fly like a Cub anymore. The wing flies a lot slower than my original stock wings. Before the mod I landed around 41 MPH according to the GPS (the airspeed indicator reads 0). Now I land at around 35-36 MPH (no wind) so that is very nice. My flaps go down to 50 degrees, the Husky has very little drag at 30 degrees of flap deployment which is very undesirable to me. I was hoping for more drag at 50 degrees, it did increase but not to the level I was hoping for. I want to put VGs on the flaps and am hoping that that will get me another 1-2MPH off the landing speed. Just to clarify, the stall speed is around 32 MPH, I have been trying to land using the tail high approach which is faster than the conventional 3 point method, but the added ground control and braking as well as increased visibility over the nose is worth the penalty. I will provide more info after I get more time in the aircraft.

ksecub,

So, do you have a Husky wing on a Cub fuselage?

Here's something you might try to get slower on short, short final:

In the Husky, I always fly a slight forward slip so that I can get the nose up, and still see where I'm about to land. With the Bushwheels, this works great--just fly it onto the left tire, and it pretty much straightens itself out, if you haven't quite got straight prior to the touch. That allows you to approach at a very high AOA and still see what you're doing.

The Husky flap is a major lift producer. It's not a very effective drag device, compared to other flap designs.

MTV

And to think part of those flaps once hung in the ceiling of my hanger. Glad to see your wing flying. Looks great.

It's a Cub wing with a 37.5' span with 102" Husky flaps and 102" Cub ailerons. I have Wayne's droopy aileron system so I can droop the ailerons down about 18 degrees if desired. The flaps go down 50 degrees, I can adjust that if I need to. I also increased the angle of incidence 1/2 degree so I can fly fairly flat with good visibility over the nose. The biggest problem I am having is that I am landing too fast. I have been flying Cubs so long that I have become very familar to seeing the ground move under me at a certain relative speed and I am having trouble mentally allowing myself to fly slower. When I touch down, the airplane still wants to fly and it floats and bounces, as soon as I get it slowed down the bounce and float should go away. The airplane has not shown any adverse characteristics yet, but I am still afraid to fly it on the edge until I get more time in it. I have about 500 hours in a Husky, and you can make them fly slow if you point the nose way up in the air. That is not desirable to me, I hope my setup will avoid the high deck angle Husky situation.

thanks

Thanks for posting about your new wings.Please keep us posted on how you like them after a few hours.
Aurele

Back