Thread: Cruise Prop vs. Climb Prop

Post Thanks / Like

Cruise Prop vs. Climb Prop

On my experimental SC I used a 0-320 engine and prop off of a TriPacer. The prop is a cruise prop that I intended to get repitched to a climb prop. I have been getting airborne in right around 300 feet however (which is sufficient for me) and am averaging 115 mph (GPS average). I think I will leave it alone for now, but am wondering if anyone has any idea how much airspeed I would probably lose and how much more takeoff performance I would gain by having it pitched to a climb prop? thanks Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe,
    Before I left for New Holstein, year-before-last, I removed my Borer prop, and changed my 26" Goodyears to 6:00 X 6's. I gained 13 mph in cruise, and roughly doubled the takeoff distance from 150' to 300'. As soon as I got home, I put the Borer back on, and then got 31" BW's. I figured that if I need to go fast, I'll get a Mooney.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would base it on the type of flying you do most. If it fits your needs the way it is why spend the money. Spend it on gas and go flying. I have a climb prop on my 172 and sure it is slower with it but most of my flying is local and I like the shorter takeoffs. I have done several cross the US flights but the majority of my flying is local so I left it alone.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    I switched a 74/50 sensenich for a 80/42 McCauley and lost 7mph cruise and got off in 150 compared to 225 ft.

Your results may vary depending on what is the pitch on your 'cruise' prop.

Even with the sensenich I cruised with the power back to around 2250. If I am in a hurry I will drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I put on a constant speed prop and have the best of both worlds...

Although I would say it is not for everybody.

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Just wondering what your take off distance is light and how that compared to the fixed pitch, were you running a Borer and what was it pitched at? I have thought about trying a long constant speed on Bushwacker so that I could cruise faster but thought it may even get me off shorter because I can get all the HP on take off. Right now I turn around 2450 and that probably only equals about 160-170 HP, if I could turn the 2700 I would be getting the 190-200 that the engine puts out.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Greg,

Because I was running a "legal" borer prop on my plane that would only static about 2500rpm, the 2700 that the CS props turn on takeoff have both provided in one case a little bettter (hartzell) and in the second case a LOT better(MT) take off performance than the borer. Probably not better than an illegal prop like the 231 at 3000rpm, but still very impressive, and I can go more than 60 miles an hour.

I am very happy with the MT prop. I have found little to complain about other than cost. I am running it on floats right now and it is performing admirably.

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------