• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

continental 75

don d

don
Friend got me in a pickle. What is a 75 hp continental with 800 smoh, new cam and followers, no mags, in known good running condition worth??

Don

A75 or C75? I would imagine the C75 would be worth more.

I would agree on the price posted above if it is an A75

Rich

don d said:
Friend got me in a pickle. What is a 75 hp continental with 800 smoh, new cam and followers, no mags, in known good running condition worth??

Don

I'm majoring an A-75. We just bought new followers. They are $80 a pop at Aircraft Specialties. AS wouldn't rebuild the old ones because of grooves inside where the hydraulic units go and pitting on the faces. They yellow-tagged the cam, which pleased the owner after the sticker shock on the tappets.

So long ago that the statute of limitations is surely up - a mechanic told me I needed new tappet bodies for an A-65. Mine were pitted. They were twelve bucks each(!) but I was making $93.50 per month. Tells you how long ago and also my rank at the time.

Put that puppy back together with the old tappets, got another 1500 hours out of it, and replaced it only because I fell in love with the C-85.

bob turner said:
So long ago that the statute of limitations is surely up - a mechanic told me I needed new tappet bodies for an A-65. Mine were pitted. They were twelve bucks each(!) but I was making $93.50 per month. Tells you how long ago and also my rank at the time.

Put that puppy back together with the old tappets, got another 1500 hours out of it, and replaced it only because I fell in love with the C-85.

Good for you. I did that a time or two and so far no bad results but the engines were used on experimentals. This one is supposed to be signed off.

I had 16 or so lifter bodies ground by a shop in Charlotte and they always gave me a nice radius on the faces so they were a little convex, but a few weeks ago they ground 8 of them flat as a flitter. I'm debating what to do.

Any of you have an A-65-8 or A-75-8 rear accessory case that is serviceable I need one of those too and will buy one if you'll sell it. May wind up having to buy a rebuilt one from Fresno at $395, which is right pricey.

A-75

James L Smith: Flat faces won't work well, for rotation , and what I have found is that the bodies are worn quite a bit on these things. Take some wear in the case and you may be over max in the clearance. Two bad things will happen in this case. One the lifter will bind and not rotate as it should. Cams seem to hate that. The other thing will be lower oil pressure due to the eight holes leaking more than normal. If you are experimental, the faces could be gound a bit more as they are hard all the way through on the A-65- C-85 tappet. Not so with the later models . You may run into dry tappet clearance issues if you overdo it. Longer pushrods may be in order. Been there, done that. My present engine a new cam and has new Aircraft Specialties lifters in it. Nice, but expensive. Tried their reconditioned units, but after miking them, they were below limits if the CMC book. Good cores are getting scarce, so I just bit the bullet went the new route. Not saying they can't be found, but I just got sick of looking.
Ron

Back