• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Valdez Landing Contest Winner

Great shootin Joe. Especially those shots of me! I'll log on to your site and make a down payment on your next camera. By the way..My 30d is in the mail.

Take care - Jerry

electric or non-electric

The planes that won were they eletric or non? What was the best T/O and Landing with eletric syestem?

Paul's plane was the only Super Cub that I noticed that was non electric. I know Chuck, Johnny and Mike Stitzel's had starters, I didn't notice anyone else propping theirs in the stagging area.
Joe

Kase---that 11 had flaps also---twas a thing of beauty to watch. Actually all the pilots put on a pretty damn good show for us spectators.

Mark

Here are the top 3 in each class

Light Tourning: Take-Off Plane Type Distance Prize / Donated By:

1st Kyle Carr 1954 Cessna 170B 125' Axles, Nuts, & Bolts / Tru Lock
2nd Chet Harris 1975 Maule M-5 160'
3rd Doug Franz 1970 Cessna 150 190'

Heavy Touring: Take-Off Plane Type Distance Prize / Donated By:

1st Curtis Green 1957 Cessna 182A 136'
2nd Mitch Cullom 1960 Cessna 182 141.5'
3rd Jason Weimer 1972 Cessna 185 146'

Bush Class: Take-Off Plane Type Distance Prize / Donated By:

1st Paul Claus 1957 Piper PA-18 51' Bush Wheel Tail Wheel Assembly / Mike Olson Dodge
2nd Johnny McMahan 1957 Piper PA-18 58'-6" Rear Seat Heater Kit / F-Atlee
3rd Mike Stitzel 1962 Piper PA-18 63' PA-18 Long Step & Refueling step
Landing Gear Saftey Cable Kit / F-Atlee

Bush Challange: Take-Off Plane Type Distance Prize / Donated By:
1st Paul Claus 1957 Piper PA-18 83' Denali ANR headsets by Northern Lights Avionics
2nd Mike Stitzel 1962 Piper PA-18 99'
3rd Johnny McMahan 1957 Piper PA-18 122'

Experimental: Take-Off Plane Type Distance Prize / Donated By:

1st Bill Wilcox 2003 Zenith Air Control CH801 113'-6" Survival Equipment / ACR Electronics
2nd Clay Starbuck 2005 Starbuck Voltrex 250'

Light Tourning: Landing Plane Type Distance Prize / Donated By:

1st Chet Harris 1975 Maule M-5 110' / 136' $1000 Gift Certificate / N L Avionics
2nd Kyle Carr 1954 Cessna 170B 110' / 146'
3rd Doug Franz 1970 Cessna 150 182'

Heavy Touring: Landing Plane Type Distance Prize / Donated By:

1st Mitch Cullom 1960 Cessna 182 163' Vortex Generator / Micro Aerody
2nd Jason Weimer 1972 Cessna 185 191'
3rd Don Payne 1968 Cessna 180H 200'

Bush Class: Landing Plane Type Distance Prize / Donated By:

1st Matt Piatt 1947 Piper PA-11 60'-6" 31" BusWheels / Ak Bush Wheels
2nd Paul Claus 1957 Piper PA-18 74'-6" 2 Piece Muffler & Pre-Heat Shraud / F-Atlee
3rd Gary Foster 1957 Piper PA-18 120' Front Seat Battery Rack / F-Atlee

Experimental: Landing Plane Type Distance Prize / Donated By:

1st Clay Starbuck 2005 Starbuck Vortex 55' Rotax Carburetor Balancing
2nd Bill Wilcox 2003 Zenith Air Control CH801 300'+

Flour Bombing:
1st Jesse Bunn - Wasilla 0'-0" & 14'
2nd Johnny McMahan - Glennallen 0'-0" & 80'
3rd Harold Meyer - Eagle River 0'-6"

Thanks. I'd be interested to know what horsepower engine each of the super cubs in the takeoff contest had. I thought it was interesting last year when Chuck McMahan won everything with a 150 hp.

Christina,

Paul Claus has 160hp... light, no electrical ie: starter, battery, alternator, all removed etc. Plus 6" ext gear
Johnny McMahan has 150hp stock
Mike Stitizel has 160hp ext flaps, Leading edge cuff
All on big tires. There were a few other pilots in these guys league but not everyone got the same amount of wind. All in all everyone in the bush class put up very impressive numbers and I've never before seen a finer group of cub drivers. I bow my hat to each and every one of them! Great show guys!
Doug

Christina,
Yes, I think Paul was the only cub without electronics.

Jerry,
I will try to get the full list out as soon as I get it.

Doug

I watched some video this weekend of the Valdez competion at the AA airshow and saw Kirk Ellis in his PA-12-180. Both the take-off and landing looked pretty short. Does anyone know what place he finished and what his numbers were?

Hey folks,

I lurk around here quite a bit, so I know this is a TYPE forum. Yes, I often wish I had a Super Cub --nothing like it for off airport operations. I, like a lot of other people, have to make do with the equipment I can afford, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate some other pilots: Mitch Cullom landed a Cessna 182 in 163' --that is a damn short landing in any plane but a heavy plane with the little wheel on the wrong end --wow; Kyle Carr landed a Cessna 170 in 110' --now I have seen a lot of good pilots flying 170s, but 110' --nothing short of impressive; finally and shamelessly, I want to mention my own landing in a Maule m-5 (i.e. short wing) at 110'. I am not going to say I did not get lucky --because I did, but it feels damn good to be landing any plane somewhere in the range of the likes of Paul Klaus, the Ellis brothers, Matt Piatt and the rest of you cub drivers. I hope it is not inappropriate to bring these planes into the mix, but this seems like the only forum where folks are discussing this event.

The most important thing is these things are a great deal of fun, and there always seems to be more to learn by watching others fly and talking to pilots who have honed their skills landing planes places many only dream of. I hope I get to see and meet more Cub folks next year, and I hope we can all encourage more pilots in all classes to participate. Finally, thanks not only to the organizers and sponsors of such a wonderful event, but the guys on the ground, like Doug and Ron.
Chet

Here are the results of all the classes.
BUSH_1.JPG

BUSH_2.JPG

BUSH_3.JPG

BUSH_4.JPG

LIGHT_TOURING.JPG

[/img]http://sparky.supercub.org/photopost/data/500/medium/HEAV_TOURING.JPG

Back