Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valdez Landing Contest Winner

Post Thanks / Like
    DC - Thanks for posting the results.

Have they published the complete results yet?

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Christina,
    Yes, I think Paul was the only cub without electronics.

Jerry,
    I will try to get the full list out as soon as I get it.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched some video this weekend of the Valdez competion at the AA airshow and saw Kirk Ellis in his PA-12-180. Both the take-off and landing looked pretty short. Does anyone know what place he finished and what his numbers were?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey folks,

I lurk around here quite a bit, so I know this is a TYPE forum. Yes, I often wish I had a Super Cub --nothing like it for off airport operations. I, like a lot of other people, have to make do with the equipment I can afford, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate some other pilots: Mitch Cullom landed a Cessna 182 in 163' --that is a damn short landing in any plane but a heavy plane with the little wheel on the wrong end --wow; Kyle Carr landed a Cessna 170 in 110' --now I have seen a lot of good pilots flying 170s, but 110' --nothing short of impressive; finally and shamelessly, I want to mention my own landing in a Maule m-5 (i.e. short wing) at 110'. I am not going to say I did not get lucky --because I did, but it feels damn good to be landing any plane somewhere in the range of the likes of Paul Klaus, the Ellis brothers, Matt Piatt and the rest of you cub drivers. I hope it is not inappropriate to bring these planes into the mix, but this seems like the only forum where folks are discussing this event.

The most important thing is these things are a great deal of fun, and there always seems to be more to learn by watching others fly and talking to pilots who have honed their skills landing planes places many only dream of. I hope I get to see and meet more Cub folks next year, and I hope we can all encourage more pilots in all classes to participate. Finally, thanks not only to the organizers and sponsors of such a wonderful event, but the guys on the ground, like Doug and Ron.
    Chet

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the results of all the classes.

[/img]http://sparky.supercub.org/photopost/data/500/medium/HEAV_TOURING.JPG[img][/img]