Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Data Plate

Post Thanks / Like

Data Plate

Looking for information on data plate requirments. I have the one that shows ser# etc. attached to fusalge on the tail under the access cover for the trim but not on the floorboard. I looked at some friends cubs and they all have a plate on the floorboard showing all info i.e. ser#, model, type.
    Does this mean I have a lost data plate?

Post Thanks / Like

data plate

yep! you have a missing data plate! you have some hoops to jump through! its not imposable to get another one just a pain in the @$$

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    The plate you described is the data plate on early Super Cubs. My 1950 SC, Ser # 18-387, had just such a plate attached by two bent pieces of welding rod near the jack screw. I decided I wanted a later style data plate so I contacted the FAA to get the procedure. Piper has a person who will hand out a new plate if you turn in the old one or have a letter from the FAA that says you really do own the airplane in question. The cost about 5 years ago was $200 as I recall.

Darrel Starr

Post Thanks / Like
    There is the external plate that I know is a "new thing" but I have the small one attached by two metal prongs inside near the jack screw. is this as stated by Darrell just a early one that is useable and replacable thru piper or just a piper ID plate. I thank everybody for the help but Im still a little confused.

Post Thanks / Like
    The floorboard shows no sign of one ever being there. This airplane is one of the early ones....PA18-1, really.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just looking in a Micro Mark catalog that had a "photo etching" kit. Next time I have this particular problem, that may be the all-time best solution. Harbor freight sells the metal stamp thingies.

We got FAA clearance (?) to produce a data plate for an old Franklin engine. Cost well over a hundred bucks for the blank, and it was the wrong size and not etched at all. We still had to stamp the data on. Would have been just as good to use a piece of .032 brass and stamp the responses in the correct geographical area, leaving the rest blank.

Post Thanks / Like
    You own Super Cub #1, mfg in 1950? Dang, that's something!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Clippers which were built in 1949 have the data tag on the rear tube by the jackscrew attached with two welding rods welded to the tube. I would leave it. Let the Feds prove it isn't factory.

Bob, There is someone who makes the original data tags for historical purposes and they are about a 10th of the price Piper wants.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce

Bob, There is someone who makes the original data tags for historical purposes and they are about a 10th of the price Piper wants.
    And if you need to replace a dataplate from FS200X this is your only hope.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like that on the early ones (49,50 ish) the small tag near the jack screw might be the only thing original piper installed. This is a 49' and no mention of anything in regaurds to data plates in the logs. Ill keep snooping. I just want to be confident in what it is and what I need.
    Thanks everybody for your help

Post Thanks / Like

data plate location

Don't know if this is at all relevant...but my 1949 PA-11 was manufactured in March of 1949 (# 11-921)
    The data plate is installed underneath the plywood baggage door behind the backseat.
    Maybe the early -18's had it in the same location?
    The serial # is also welded on the overhead cabane structure.
    Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a big discussion on this plane a few months ago.Serial number 1 was listed for sale on ebay.I think in the description of the aircraft it said the data plate was missing,but there was other supporting documents.Did you buy this airplane? It did not meet reserve on ebay.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I resemble that earlier discussion:

http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewt...166&highlight=

Clyde Smith is your best friend on these, he has all the old Piper build records for cross ref'ing fuse. # and serial #. PM me for some specific advice I got from some guys who had been there before.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    This is "The One" I purchased it direct from Eugene Franks Daughter. I have all logs and plenty of supporting doc's. I dont have any problem proving that it is what it is but Eugene had not reg. for a number of years so I just want to make sure that all is in order before I start bumming around the country. I dont know what interest everybody has but I thought I would post some info. on it and mabe some pics to bring everybody up to date. I dont think I will have it in the sky untill approx. june if the weather clears up by then!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SC#1
    It sounds like that on the early ones (49,50 ish) the small tag near the jack screw might be the only thing original piper installed. This is a 49' and no mention of anything in regaurds to data plates in the logs. Ill keep snooping. I just want to be confident in what it is and what I need.
    Thanks everybody for your help
    SC #1
    That is the data plate for the early Super Cubs. Period
    Now get on with life.
    if this is S/N 1. That was one big sticking point when they were selling it. nobody could tell me if the data plate was still There.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.