• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tundra Boss by Smith Av

Alaskan-18

Wasilla, Alaska
Anybody know anything first hand about these planes. Specs, stall? I don't even know if any are flying yet. Two guys from Alaska ordered two of them. From what I can see they are one bad bird!

Alaskan-18 said:
Anybody know anything first hand about these planes. Specs, stall? I don't even know if any are flying yet. Two guys from Alaska ordered two of them. From what I can see they are one bad bird!

None are flying.

I believe there are 3 of us in Alaska with the Tundra Boss. Two guys in the Wasilla will get theirs this summer. I have had mine since the 2005 Alaska Airmen’s show, (The fist two pictures on their website are of my Tundra Boss at the show). I was hoping to be painting this summer but that is looking doubtful now, a new baby and work is conspiring against me.

I talked to Nick Smith last week and he was hanging an O-540 on a demo they are building. He was expecting to be doing weight and balances soon, (this week?). Anyway, their demo will be the first in the air. I would expect ball park numbers in a few months.

KelvinG

D.A. said:
Gunny, weren't you building a version of your own? How is that going?

I was dreaming of building one as I watch the thieving rats in DC and Olympia suck the life out of my hopes and dreams.....:evil:

Sorry - that was almost rant like but I feel better now.

Tundra boss and Gunny's rant

I was dreaming of building one as I watch the thieving rats in DC and Olympia suck the life out of my hopes and dreams.....
Things have been a little dull lately........

Gunny? Are these the crooks you had in mind?

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/nation/02/14oilroyalties.html

It's supposed to be an incentive to go out and look for oil......$57 a barrel isn't enough?

The oil companies can't believe their good fortune on this one.
Government by and for the corporations......the people are out of the equation now.

They're giving away all the money they chiseled out of the retirees' Medicare benefits. Do you suppose "Dead-eye Dick" might have had anything to do with it? Isn't he still on deferred comp from Halliburton to the tune of about $3 mill a year?

Oh, and yes, I own oil company stocks. Canadian ones.

Tundra boss

I'm thinking about a Tundra boss with a 0360XP light as I can go. What do you think? I think It will probably have enough power. Maybe a constant speed prop. Big dreams maybe but it sure would be cool to have a 4-6 place cub with a 1600lbs useful load! No offence to cubs, I love mine but building a cabin would go a lot faster with less trips. I still would like to talk to someone with a producer or a bushmaster though.

Alaskan-18 - you should go down and fly Mark Erickson's Super Pacer/Producer/Bushmaster - its quite an airplane and has the leading edge slotted wing on it. Here's a link: http://www.dakotacub.com/new_page_27.htm

Hyrdflyr - check your pms. I'm not gonna take this otherwise good thread to RnR. I shouldn't have sounded off in my last post.

Re: Tundra boss

Alaskan-18 said:
I still would like to talk to someone with a producer or a bushmaster though.

Give me a call, or PM me. I can give you info on the Producer including a demo flight, if you're interested. I've flown all of the STC'd Producers except one, the original, which was build back in 1959. Steve 907-242-1154

Tundra Boss

Hello All,

My friend and I will be putting together two Tundra Boss kits starting early this summer. The kits were supposed to have been delivered in mid-January but things got slowed down but we finally have a firm date set for shipping from Smith Aviation by May 30th. The kits are basically done with only a few small items remaining to be completed prior to shipping. We'll be building the planes at Birchwood Airport, just outside of Anchorage. MIne will be powered by a Lycoming IO540 and my buddy's planning on using the 255 hp Innodyne turbine. I'd enjoy hearing from anyone else who's building one of these cubs on steroids. I'm contemplating a 3 bladed reversible MT prop and would also enjoy hearing from people with experience operating and maintaining the MT props.

Regards, Roger

I thought that Smith sold there works to some guy in Wyoming! Or are they keeping everything except the supercub look alike?

Our two Tundra Boss kits did arrive and are now spread across the floor of the hangar. We'll start soon on organizing the parts and pieces and then it's on to starting the assembly process. I have started a photo album on this site and will add more pictures as things progress. Regards, Roger

You alm,ost had me there, with the Dakota Cub Producer. But Steering Wheels? Even Boeing is thinking about going back to the control stick, after noting the Airbus, Cirrus, Lancair, etc etc. And can't anything be done about those doors?

Hi Bob! The Bushmaster originally came out with wheels because it was a Tripacer conversion and that is what they had. Our new plane that is not a converted Tripacer will be at Arlington and does have sticks. There are so few PA22 to convert these days that we have built a brand new fuselage front to rear. I also wanted a stick so that is what we have done. My only whine with a Cub is that there is not enough room for my wife and daughter at the same time. This A/C solves that problem and still gives us Cub like performance.mb

Tundra Boss

Hi Guys, I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to join. Are the Smiths still offering their Tundra Boss? Do they have plans available? I'm thinking about plans building vs. kit. If anyone has contact info for the Smiths I'd appreciate it.

wirsig.

The Smiths are out of the program now. Go to turbinecubs.com. I don't believe TCOW is manufacturing the Tundra Boss again, yet. Last I knew, it was back in engineering getting tweaked. Maybe KelvinG on this site has some more updated info. As far as plans - probably not from TCOW.

I couldn't tell what TCOW plans to do with the Tundra Boss. They hired an engineering firm and did a computerize stress analysis on the Tundra Boss, which resulted in a number of tubing changes. Seeing how I bought my Tundra Boss before TCOW bought the company, they have treated me extremely well. TCOW gave me the results of the FEA analysis and all the tubing needed to incorporate the changes free of charge. While Nick Smith thinks it’s just engineers engineering because they were getting paid to do so, I’ve decided to make the changes. It does make the airframe beefier and that works for me.

I’d contact email Wayne at info@turbinecubs.com to see what they have planned; my guess is it is on the back burner for now. They seem to have a lot of other irons in the fire, but like I said, ask Wayne to get the real info.

If you are looking for a plans built 4-place with company support I’d suggest you look at the Bearhawk . I was seriously considering it before going with the Tundra Boss. What changed my mind was the ability to get Nick Smith to build a custom fuselage for me. To be honest though, I bet if I had bought a Bearhawk I’d be flying now. It’s a plans built aircraft with a factory that can supply as much or as little as you want. They have quite the builders base also, Google Bearhawk and you will find a lot of info.

Hope this helps.

KelvinG

RogerClyne, how is the tundra boss going? I just picked up a tundra boss fuselage. Any thing I should change before painting?
thanks
Nolan

Back