• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing Assembly Hints.

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
Thought I would post these before I forget them. Drove an hour each way to ride go carts with my kids so I had time to contemplate an alternative method for getting that "N" strut installed between the spars without scratching everything and having to force things too much. Others probably figured this out before but I am sometimes slow. When I got home tonight I got to test my idea. I put the two spars across a pair of saw horses. Installed the strut attach fittings and then the 4 bolts that go through the strut attach fittings and into the "N" strut. Don't forget that nose rib that has to be mounted under the front strut attach fitting. Once the "N" strut is bolted in place slide the inboard ribs over the butt end and the outboard ribs over the tip. I was even able to do this all by myself.

Another hint, while we are at it, is to stretch a string along the front spar, and, while tramming, keep that spar dead straight!

Steve, I was putting together a Cub covered and painted by others and found an N compression assembly installed backwards :eek:

I was able to unbolt it and reassemble correctly by adding only one inspection hole near the rear spar and fitting. I amazed myself.

unbolting the diagonal was the trick!

...I built two left wings for a few minutes once until I realized the ailerson coves didn't point in the right direction. :lol:

The "N" strut for the wing is 1/8 inch shorter on one leg that the other. Which way does it go? Longer or shorter leg spar to spar? Thanks

Man - 2006. Don't forget - over-torquing bolts in a metal spar wing can lead to stripped threads. About half the compression struts I see need Helicoil inserts in the soft aluminum castings. I think an ambitious mechanic can easily pull the hElicoil out.

Back